Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

E2EK1EL

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2012
tumblr_mo8n3vkfbV1svn1xeo1_400.gif

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Does this image accomplish something?
Perhaps it just demonstrates that following all kinds of "revolutionary" and "complex" design standards that are there supposedly to create "amazing" things can easily still result in crap (if it's all just done for the looks without that much more in mind and/or by sacrificing some usability/functionality in the process).

krashx7

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2012
I like it alright I guess. I just wish they used different colors. Or that there were another color option besides these soft pastels. It's a little to girly for me but at the same time its not a deal breaker. I dont enter it into beauty pagents.. It gets the job done.

Solitude1984

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2013
I LOVE it. I really enjoy how clean it looks. I was getting really bored of iOS 6, and this was a great change IMO.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I'm always amused by how many people rail against the nonexistent "pastel" colors in iOS 7.

2nd-grade Art, lesson one:

Pastel colors

8jKGx.jpg

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm always amused by how many people rail against the nonexistent "pastel" colors in iOS 7.

2nd-grade Art, lesson one:

Pastel colors

Plenty of that kind of thing within the the native apps and those that adopt the iOS 7 "design".

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
For the most part, I'm loving iOS 7 (even gave up my iPad JBs for it). However, I do question some of the un-changeable color choices (i.e. goldenrod/yellow for notes). Not a good choice.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
I love it. I've used every version of IOS since 2.0 and this is by far the best in terms of look, functionality AND reliability.

pear21

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2012
Michigan
Eh its not horrible, but its not as sweet as it could be. The one main issue I have with iOS 7 is when unlocking the phone you have to wait for all of the apps to fly onto the screen. I also do not like when you open an app from a folder and exit that app you are still in the folder, imo it should take you back to the home screen instead of back to the folder.

dophineh

macrumors member
Jan 29, 2009
California
ios7 was a downgrade from ios6.

for brief example, the flat (2D) vibrant color icons remind me of android, but besides that, they are easy to imitate! to me, that says it all! the old ios6 3D icons were more challenging to create.

the worst part of ios7 vs ios6 is how difficult and less-intuitive os7 is to newbie users.

overall, ios7 was very mehhhhh... kinda of a downdate haha.

and thus, is the reason i havent updated to osx 10.9

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
ios7 was a downgrade from ios6.

for brief example, the flat (2D) vibrant color icons remind me of android, but besides that, they are easy to imitate! to me, that says it all! the old ios6 3D icons were more challenging to create.

the worst part of ios7 vs ios6 is how difficult and less-intuitive os7 is to newbie users.

overall, ios7 was very mehhhhh... kinda of a downdate haha.

and thus, is the reason i havent updated to osx 10.9

More effort required to design an app icon doesn't necessarily make it better, it just meant that more effort was required, but does not always translate to a better looking interface.

I agree that the interface is slightly less intuitive than before though. I remember not knowing where reader mode in Safari went until someone else pointed it out to me. Previously, there would be this giant "reader" icon in Safari that all but begged you to press it. I would never have guessed in a million years that those 3 dots meant anything.

I also don't like how they renamed shared photo stream to iCloud or hid iCloud tabs. I miss the rolling notifications banners and feel the plain rectangular call buttons look very slipshod and lazy.

Overall, I would say I like about 80% of the new IOS7 look and wish they would get down to refining the other 20%.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I love it. I've used every version of IOS since 2.0 and this is by far the best in terms of look, functionality AND reliability.
How is it more reliable? iOS hasn't had reliability issues in previous versions, at least not in the past few, so how can iOS 7 be even more reliable than those already fully reliable versions (not even factoring in the increased reports of crashes with iOS 7 when compared to recent versions)?

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
How is it more reliable? iOS hasn't had reliability issues in previous versions, at least not in the past few, so how can iOS 7 be even more reliable than those already fully reliable versions (not even factoring in the increased reports of crashes with iOS 7 when compared to recent versions)?

There have always been known issues with all versions of IOS, whether they affected you or not. On IOS 6 for example my iPhone 5 had some serious wifi issues, and my wife's 4S started freezing randomly in iMessage - both problems were resolved in IOS 7.

I use my phone a LOT, probably too much, and IOS 7 on my i5 is smoother and less crash prone than any other iPhone/OS combination I've had over the past 5 years of iPhone ownership. I have zero problems with it.

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Personally I like the cleaner new design. It definitely needs some work as iOS 7 does feel a little unfinished in some places. I am not criticising it as I am sure it will improve over time. iOS 7 really embodies Apple's philosophy of removing design and placing the content at the center. The new look will improve over time and Im looking forward to seeing what leaks over to OS X.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
There have always been known issues with all versions of IOS, whether they affected you or not. On IOS 6 for example my iPhone 5 had some serious wifi issues, and my wife's 4S started freezing randomly in iMessage - both problems were resolved in IOS 7.

I use my phone a LOT, probably too much, and IOS 7 on my i5 is smoother and less crash prone than any other iPhone/OS combination I've had over the past 5 years of iPhone ownership. I have zero problems with it.
On personal level it seems that people can certainly have different experiences. Given that the majority didn't experience WiFi issues or iMessage issues with previous versions and certainly no real crashes at least maybe only rarely, it would be hard to say iOS 7 is any more reliable than that (and perhaps less so given more frequent crashes for more people), again, at least generally speaking.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Love is much too strong a word but I really like it. I have a 3gs that I use as an iPod and I hate looking at its screen now. Like 7 much better than the old screen.

mripadmini

Cancelled
Aug 24, 2013
I love the look of iOS 7 and have ever since I saw pictures of it online before my iPad Mini, and iPhone 4S updating to it.

Dented

macrumors 65816
Oct 16, 2009
On personal level it seems that people can certainly have different experiences. Given that the majority didn't experience WiFi issues or iMessage issues with previous versions and certainly no real crashes at least maybe only rarely, it would be hard to say iOS 7 is any more reliable than that (and perhaps less so given more frequent crashes for more people), again, at least generally speaking.

The problem with comparing the reported crashes in IOS 7 with IOS 6 is that the vast majority of the crashes you're talking about are in IOS 7 on the A7 chip - ie the new 64 bit devices - and are almost certainly related to the code transition to 64 bit. That's a transition which IOS 6 would have had to make too, even if nothing else had been changed, and would have doubtless have resulted in the same teething issues - put short IOS 6 running on a 5S would have been crash city too.

IOS 7 running on an iPhone 5 or below is, in my experience, bombproof. Apart from a few Safari disappearances in earlier builds I don't think I've seen a single crash in the OS itself.

IOS 6, certainly on the iPhone 5, was significantly more buggy in my experience. I actually returned two phones due to issues which turned out (by the third phone) to be standard annoyances. The wifi problems in particular were awful and I was far, far from alone in that; the same phone now has a perfect connection wherever I go.

For the record I much preferred IOS 5 to 6, but 7 tops them both.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.