Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I purchased an M2 Air recently to replace my 12 Macbook as my couch / travel computer. Before that I used a maxed out 2012 Macbook Air.

There's something about the design of the M2 Air that just isn't sitting well with me. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of the wedge shape, which I really liked in both my previous computers. Something about the M2 feels slightly more fragile than the previous ones. I'm actually considering returning the M2 and getting the M1 Air, but I'm torn, because I really like Magsafe in the M2.

Anyway, mostly writing this to see if anyone feels the same way or if I'm crazy :)

Elusi

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2023
Nah. Not that I think the M1 is ugly. But the bezel thickness feels primitive in comparison. Practically it's also a notably smaller screen for the same footprint. I think it's fantastic that the new design doesn't "lie" to me about it's thinness. It actually *is* impossibly thin, rather than the weird surprise you get when you pickup former designs and feel that they're bulging all over.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Interesting, ok. I forgot to mention in my original post that one of the things I like most about the wedge is that it's easier / more natural to pick it up from a desk, given that your fingers have a place to slide underneath. That was always a nice design touch that I appreciated.

Weirdly enough, the M2 feels sorta less durable to me. Flat panels (like the bottom one) are not as inherently strong as curved ones, and I've noticed that the bottom panel of the M2 seems to slightly flex in places. Not a big deal obviously, but as far as I can remember, the 12" and 2012 Air didn't do that.

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
Weirdly enough, the M2 feels sorta less durable to me. Flat panels (like the bottom one) are not as inherently strong as curved ones, and I've noticed that the bottom panel of the M2 seems to slightly flex in places. Not a big deal obviously, but as far as I can remember, the 12" and 2012 Air didn't do that.

strange, i find the air 15" pretty sturdy. was impressed with that.
but i did not own a wedgy air though.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
Something about the M2 feels slightly more fragile than the previous ones.
Except that there are many reports of cracked screens on the M1 MBA and none that I've seen for the M2 MBA. Something about the M1 MacBook Air seems to cause occasional screen damage without an obvious cause.

Harmonious Zen

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Nah. Not that I think the M1 is ugly. But the bezel thickness feels primitive in comparison. Practically it's also a notably smaller screen for the same footprint. I think it's fantastic that the new design doesn't "lie" to me about it's thinness. It actually *is* impossibly thin, rather than the weird surprise you get when you pickup former designs and feel that they're bulging all over.
Yeah, the bezels totally kill the look for me too.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
As someone who owned a 2014 11 inch MacBook Air and would have upgraded to the 12 inch macbook if it was still being made when I upgraded from my 2014 MacBook Air I am happy with the new M2 design. I upgraded from the 2018 MBA. I am pleased with the lighter and more compact design. If they made a 12 inch MBA I would have gotten that.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Thanks for all of the responses all. I get that there's some polarity on this topic and most are inclined to think that the newer version is better.

I didn't mention this initially, but one of the things about the M2 that I find less desirable is that it just looks like a thinner Macbook pro. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, but prior to this the Air always had it's own uniqlue design that served a purpose for the users who bought one. Now, the M2 Air just looks like a pro, but a little thinner. It feels less unique to me.

Anyway, we all know that the wedge is gone (unless they re-introduce a 12" Macbook with a wedge - in which case I'd ditch my M2 Air so fast and get that) so I should just get used to it :)

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Interestingly, I had my M2 Air on a table next to my wife's 2017 13" Pro. The Pro sat just *slightly* higher off the table than the Air did, which was kinda shocking to me. I realize that this is likely because the Air's feet are taller while the body is thinner, but the lack of difference was a little shocking.

jdb8167

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2008
The previous generation design for sure feel more sturdy than the current designs.
Yet there are many reports of spontaneous screen cracks for the M1 MacBook Air and none or near enough for the M2 MBA. Making the bezels smaller on the M1 MBA was probably a non-starter because the screen is already too fragile

Reactions: AppleComputer

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
the 2020 mba gets my vote for elegance!
the macbook can perform incredibly as well!

Last edited:

h.gilbert

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2022
Bordeaux
Yet there are many reports of spontaneous screen cracks for the M1 MacBook Air and none or near enough for the M2 MBA. Making the bezels smaller on the M1 MBA was probably a non-starter because the screen is already too fragile

I wouldn't think bezel thickness has any bearing on those M1 screen cracking issues. The butterfly era macbooks all had those bezels. M1 Air screen cracking must be due to something else. Or perhaps there isn't really an M1 Air screen crack epidemic so to speak - there are more M1 Airs than M2 Airs

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
I purchased an M2 Air recently to replace my 12 Macbook as my couch / travel computer. Before that I used a maxed out 2012 Macbook Air.

There's something about the design of the M2 Air that just isn't sitting well with me. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of the wedge shape, which I really liked in both my previous computers. Something about the M2 feels slightly more fragile than the previous ones. I'm actually considering returning the M2 and getting the M1 Air, but I'm torn, because I really like Magsafe in the M2.

Anyway, mostly writing this to see if anyone feels the same way or if I'm crazy :)
Not crazy at all, I remember when  released th new iPod touch in 201,
a blue plastic square that felt vulnerable compared to the G4 touch, contoured and stronger.

im trying to photograph the beauty of the MacBook Air m1 2020 but cant get the results I was hoping for.
to be fair, I never seen a M2 in person since they don't sell good things nearby,
that last and have value where i currently "try" to live.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.