Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

N82

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2020
I understand the topic starter. I recently wanted to buy a new Air M2, but decided against it. The material seems different, opening is more difficult (weight is lighter) and the notch irritated me. I am also a big fan of the wedge design and heavier weight. Still waiting for a new 12" MacBook!

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I understand the topic starter. I recently wanted to buy a new Air M2, but decided against it. The material seems different, opening is more difficult (weight is lighter) and the notch irritated me. I am also a big fan of the wedge design and heavier weight. Still waiting for a new 12" MacBook!
If they release a new 12" Macbook, I will buy one and replace my M2 Air. I LOVE the size and weight of my 2017 12" so much and would jump at the chance for a new one with an apple silicon processor.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
If they release a new 12" Macbook, I will buy one and replace my M2 Air. I LOVE the size and weight of my 2017 12" so much and would jump at the chance for a new one with an apple silicon processor.

Even if they'll release 12” MB, I doubt it will have the old MBA design…

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008

Funny you say that about material - I agree
It's not the same to the touch anymore

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
Even if they'll release 12” MB, I doubt it will have the old MBA design…
True, but my hope is that it would be thinner and lighter than the 13", which would make up for some of that.

DanneP

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2023
I like the wedge design better than the M2 Air, but I don't like the bezels of the M1 Air.

Dream laptop:
Wedge Air with smaller bezels to fit a 14 inch screen. And a fan.

Reactions: whitby and weezin

DanneP

macrumors newbie
Feb 22, 2023
Who cares. It’s just a tool
The design of a laptop is far from purely an aesthetic thing.

For example:
The wedge design makes the angle of the keyboard nearly perfect
The sharp edges of a M2 Air is a bit more noticeable
Thickness is definitely a factor, the M1 Air vs a Pro is night and day
Weight and size in general. Thicker bezels means more unused space and therefore the laptop unnecessary large and heavy.

Makisupa Policeman

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2021
I like the new M2 Air a lot. The wedge is of course now iconic, but with the thick bezels is also starting to show its age. M2 is a clean, modern look and I appreciate that the flatter design language fits in well with the Pro lineup.

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
There is something about that wedge shape design which is so iconic. It just screams Apple design all over it. Im currently using a M2 MBA but am considering going back to the M1 MBA and getting a Mac mini with the money I save. Just for the sake of going back to the slightly more retro Apple feel.

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
I had the original MacBook Air in 2008 and it was amazing and got me through years of mobile work and travel use to my next MacBook Pro and over the years I sort of got bored with that design. I like the new 2023 m2 MacBook Air model with the 15" display. Very quick, and mobile, slim and amazing battery life!

Reactions: weezin

AppleComputer

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2012
Cupertino, CA
Interestingly, I had my M2 Air on a table next to my wife's 2017 13" Pro. The Pro sat just *slightly* higher off the table than the Air did, which was kinda shocking to me. I realize that this is likely because the Air's feet are taller while the body is thinner, but the lack of difference was a little shocking.

The air is a lot thinner haha! that intel garbage is fat. flip them and take the feet out of the equation, its obviously a huge difference.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
The air is a lot thinner haha! that intel garbage is fat. flip them and take the feet out of the equation, its obviously a huge difference.
There's actually not a huge difference, surprisingly. I just used the Intel Pro yesterday and it feels barely thicker than the Air. It's thicker in the middle for sure, but I tend to hold laptops at the edges, and it's the same or even thinner than the Air.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Someone near me was selling a 13" M1 MBA today for $350

8GB RAM/512 SSD - Silver -- totally mint

I couldn't believe it.
I went and snapped it up immediately!

So great to have this form factor around the house for a travel computer!!

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012

I couldn't believe it.

That's an INSANE deal, wow. Good buy!

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon

I couldn't believe it.

Congrats!

Even though it’s the old design and only having 8GB RAM, for that price, as long as the battery in good condition, i would also grab one as a light travel machine.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

JiggyJaggy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2020
Feels like that was a veery quick move by Apple. Might wait for these to come dow in price and buy one as a back up machine for home / travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.