Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdfox7

Contributor
Jan 30, 2022
USA
I bought an M1 in 2022. Was not a fan of the camera notch on the M2 13" and the overall design is nearly identical to the 2015 i7 I still own.

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
It’s always personal preference but I much prefer the wedge M1 than anything that’s been released after it. It’s a decent price, capable, easy to carry and does 90% of what anyone could need.

Bubbagump1994

macrumors newbie
Dec 30, 2023
I purchased an M2 Air recently to replace my 12 Macbook as my couch / travel computer. Before that I used a maxed out 2012 Macbook Air.

There's something about the design of the M2 Air that just isn't sitting well with me. I think it has a lot to do with the lack of the wedge shape, which I really liked in both my previous computers. Something about the M2 feels slightly more fragile than the previous ones. I'm actually considering returning the M2 and getting the M1 Air, but I'm torn, because I really like Magsafe in the M2.

Anyway, mostly writing this to see if anyone feels the same way or if I'm crazy :)
I think the M2 air looks very nice

johnc22

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
Atlanta
Checking in with my wife's 1+ year old M2 MacBook Air 13". The bezel in the dead center below the screen has a hairline crack for reasons unknown. I'd post pictures but it's difficult to see. It doesn't affect the screen (yet?) but is disappointing given how durable older MacBooks are. The laptop is very light and feels flimsy compared to my old, original MacBook Air (2011?). I feel like the thin and light race has gone too far with these units. My 10 year old MacBook Pro is thin and light enough but feels way more durable.

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
I like the new design of the MacBook air's and Pro's. I prefer it to the old design. Two things I didn't like about the old design was the bezels and the sacrificing of internals/thermals for design/aesthetics over performance.

That being said the quality of the build of those older Mac's was superior to the new Mac's. Since they were an iconic model for so many years I can understand people's love of them.

Reactions: Makisupa Policeman

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
I wanted to followup here. I've been using the M2 Air daily for all of this time and while its generally a great computer, and I appreciate the little bit of extra screen real-estate, my original opinion about the design still stands.

In particular, I am still annoyed at least once a day that I can't pick it up off a table with one hand, because I can't get my fingers far enough under the shell to grab it. This was never an issue on the wedge design and I realize now that I greatly appreciated the ability to do that.

Additionally, after having used it for a while now, the design of it feels a bit...generic? When the lid is open it sorta just looks like a mock computer that would be shown in a video game or something. The lack of the "Macbook Air" logo is part of that for sure.

It's a great machine, fast, great battery, etc etc, but as far as design goes, it's a step back in my mind. Does that mean I'll get rid of it? No. It does the core functions really well and I do appreciate some of the little things added to it, like Magsafe.

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
the design of it feels a bit...generic? When the lid is open it sorta just looks like a mock computer that would be shown in a video game or something

That is a wonderful description of the design language

They took something iconic and refined .... and pivoted to something that could literally pass for a "fake computer on a movie set"

wordsworth

macrumors 6502
Apr 7, 2011
UK
I may well buy an M1 Air while I still can, though I'd love it to get an upgrade, to keep the form factor in circulation and a little more current. I have an 11-inch and a 13-inch MacBook Air that are nearing retirement and they've been excellent but I don't see me going for the 'new-look' Air.

weezin

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 20, 2012
That is a wonderful description of the design language

They took something iconic and refined .... and pivoted to something that could literally pass for a "fake computer on a movie set"
To be fair, I really quite like the look of the machine when the lid is closed. Very simple, but looks like Apple. When the lid is open and you're looking at the screen, it could be anything, which is a little bit of a bummer.

I may well buy an M1 Air while I still can, though I'd love it to get an upgrade, to keep the form factor in circulation and a little more current. I have an 11-inch and a 13-inch MacBook Air that are nearing retirement and they've been excellent but I don't see me going for the 'new-look' Air.
I may pick up an M1 Air at some point as well when the prices come down a little more. It's a great machine and I'm sure I can find something to use it for :)

satchmo

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
To be fair, I really quite like the look of the machine when the lid is closed. Very simple, but looks like Apple. When the lid is open and you're looking at the screen, it could be anything, which is a little bit of a bummer.

Well…actually I think the notch distinguishes it from most PC laptops.

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
The wedge was iconic. I do like the new shape but overall it feels like a step backward to me. Almost a disservice to the Air philosophy. They deliberately made it look twice as thick, and then simultaneously did the same to the MacBook Pro so as not to make the Air look too thick 🤦‍♂️

Some oddball design choices going on at Apple these days. Not to mention arbitrarily deleting Space Gray from the MacBook Pro and making it only available on the MacBook Air and MacBook Air in Drag. Thus de facto forcing Pro buyers into choosing from Chipped Black or Cheapo Silver :rolleyes:

Reactions: weezin

seggy

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2016
Yet there are many reports of spontaneous screen cracks for the M1 MacBook Air and none or near enough for the M2 MBA. Making the bezels smaller on the M1 MBA was probably a non-starter because the screen is already too fragile
I don't really remember many comments about that while the M1 design was mainstream.

You also have to wonder how many of those were used lid-closed for the majority of their time

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009
The wedge was iconic. I do like the new shape but overall it feels like a step backward to me. Almost a disservice to the Air philosophy. They deliberately made it look twice as thick, and then simultaneously did the same to the MacBook Pro so as not to make the Air look too thick 🤦‍♂️

Some oddball design choices going on at Apple these days. Not to mention arbitrarily deleting Space Gray from the MacBook Pro and making it only available on the MacBook Air and MacBook Air in Drag. Thus de facto forcing Pro buyers into choosing from Chipped Black or Cheapo Silver :rolleyes:
I've got a 2015 pro in silver which I started to hate after they announced the space grey but now I've got a space grey for a work computer and its made me like the classic look of silver again.

I think when I get new personal machine I'll go for silver
I don't really remember many comments about that while the M1 design was mainstream.

You also have to wonder how many of those were used lid-closed for the majority of their time

I've never heard of the cracking but now you mention it my wife's machine has a crack at bottom of bezel with no reason why as she's not dropped it... Allegedly lol

Reactions: Jim Lahey

Jim Lahey

macrumors 68030
Apr 8, 2014
I've got a 2015 pro in silver which I started to hate after they announced the space grey but now I've got a space grey for a work computer and its made me like the classic look of silver again.

I think when I get new personal machine I'll go for silver

Fair. I can understand why others like the silver and it should remain as an option for sure. It wouldn’t hurt them to offer all three choices. Might cost Cook an extra half a cent per unit maybe, but as it stands, deleting Space Gray has already cost him at least $3,000 ☹️

Reactions: JamesMay82

RRC

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2020
My Space Gray M1 Air has been faultless since launch, does everything I could ever need from it and personally I prefer the wedge design without the notch for the camera on the screen.

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Maybe for some people the old Air design has become "iconic" and that's why they miss it, but compared to the latest M2 MBA design it has many flaws.

Reactions: JiggyJaggy

geta

macrumors 68000
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Out of curiosity: flaws such as....?

If we only talking about the latest M1 version, then huge bezels and no MagSafe. And before that, even bigger bezels, weak Intel CPU and low RAM.

These things have always kept me from buying one, even though I always prefer small and light devices.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.