Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
Apple does a lot of business with China. It’s no surprise they don’t like free speech.

Musk is showing us just how much corporations control our thoughts. He’s risking his wealth and status to do so. I didnt have strong opinions about him before he bought Twitter. But he is really impressing me with his dedication to free speech.
lol know how much biz Tesla does in China??? 🤣🤣🤣

VSG

Contributor
Aug 9, 2014
Apple - as any sentient company - doesn’t „hate free speech“. It’s Twitter that is freeing hate speech.

That platform has been toxic for some time. Right now it’s pure acid. Any single trend that is shown to me gives me the creeps in the first three Tweets displayed.
If I was in charge of a billion dollar company, I wouldn’t want my ads to show up sandwiched between this kind of content.

There are limits to free speech.
No one has the right to scream „Fire“ in a crowded room when there is no flame.
And no one has the right to publicly harass another being because, you know ‚free speech‘.
My own freedom ends where the other person‘s begins. If we can’t agree on that, we’re not a society anymore but a pile of selfish egomaniacs.

goodcow

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2007
Let’s be real. The left doesn’t like any speech that disagrees with their viewpoint and they want to shut it down.

Rational people can disagree about things, but have debate based around facts, and lived experiences.

Most people don't want to be on a platform, or associate with one full of hate speech, bigotry, misinformation, and SPAM.

huge_apple_fangirl

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2019
One of the reasons I was so excited for Elon to buy Twitter is because there is no way he could make it worse. Either he could actually make it more politically balanced rather than catering to the most insane far-left members of journalism and academia, or he could destroy it in the process and rid the internet of the toxic hellsite. Seems he's going with option b. Fine with me!

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
Let’s be real. The left doesn’t like any speech that disagrees with their viewpoint and they want to shut it down.
This is coming from the right that doesn’t like anyone of different sexuality, race, or their rights to their bodies...Censoring books, rewriting racist history, preventing other people from marrying who they want, and banning abortions.

EDIT: Oh and btw, literally tried to overthrow our government and tried to hang the Vice President just because your guy is a sore loser.

One of the reasons I was so excited for Elon to buy Twitter is because there is no way he could make it worse. Either he could actually make it more politically balanced rather than catering to the most insane far-left members of journalism and academia, or he could destroy it in the process and rid the internet of the toxic hellsite. Seems he's going with option b. Fine with me!
Just waiting for the day when Twitter is officially dead. Elon can't handle people and big companies are fleeing on him. What a waste of $44 Billion Dollars.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
We are witnessing the real-time mental breakdown of a billionaire. If Apple and Google pull Twitter from their app stores, Twitter is done. Musk knows he's ****ed.

If Apple and Google did that it would be a massive mistake. They would have no real reason to do it except that they disagree with Musk's decisions. You can't start a practice of banning apps just because you don't like the creator. I'm not a fan of Musk but would very much disagree with Apple and Google if they did that.

GMShadow

macrumors 68000
Jun 8, 2021
Last week, nonprofit organization Media Matters

Democratic Party organization. Calling them a 'non-profit' is burying the lede just a bit.

MMFA has some of the most disgusting people ever to walk the face of the planet working for it. Under no circumstances should they be thought of as anything other than a hyper-partisan political weapon.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2011
I hope to God Tim Cook does not respond to Elon Musk. Not sure why Elon is trying to instigate. The fact he used an iPhone to attack Tim Cook and Apple is just wrong.

Problem is the people in the LÈFT are hypocrites they insist that they are open minded / acceptive of others but in reality if they disagree with anything of other peoples views points they would be believing double standards are fair.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
I had a twitter account, I recently deleted it. My 2 followers I’m sure are sorely disappointed. I mainly used it as a news feed, but this day and age everything is being posted everywhere. There really is no need to have 10 different social media accounts.

Also, Apple and anyone else should do whatever they want to do. Musk can moan about it, but hey it’s a free market baby.

And lastly, I read an article that musk tweeted how apple “secretly takes 30% from anything you buy in the AppStore”. Stop trying to be a scaremongering boogeyman, musk. I knew that and I’m not even a developer. Lol

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
It is concerning how many people are cheering on the idea of Apple banishing Twitter from the App Store.

Unless you can point to specific reasons that should be done compared to prior to Elon's ownership and not just "Elon is a bad man", you're ok with apps being disallowed just based on who owns them.

"Agree with us 100% of the time or you're silenced". Is that really what you think is right?

SW3029

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2019
If Apple and Google did that it would be a massive mistake. They would have no real reason to do it except that they disagree with Musk's decisions. You can't start a practice of banning apps just because you don't like the creator. I'm not a fan of Musk but would very much disagree with Apple and Google if they did that.
Their decision would have nothing to do with how they feel about Musk. Their decision would be based on the fact that the Twitter platform is used to spread hate speech and lies. Trust me, Apple and Google don't give a damn about Elon Musk the man. They care about the apps which they give permission to operate on their iOS and android platforms and will protect the image of those platforms at all costs.

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
Wrong again, kiddo.

The left just laughs at most of it but they do want to shut down hate speech and dangerous misinformation. You can spout all your "dumb guy" takes and we usually just laugh at you for being so stupid. No need to shut it down. Most of your kind are harmless little fellas.

I agree with you mostly here, but people don't' seem to have an issue with the Taliban being on twitter or the myriad of other horrific groups. A lot of it is social justice nonsense that people could simply block but can't because they like to fight online.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.