Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thestickman

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
Apple is under no requirement to advertise on Twitter.

If you are against free speech, why not just move to China & live where no one has the right to free speech where "misinformation" decisions are always made for you & original or different thoughts are best not uttered allowed unless you want to find yourself unable to enter your government controlled apartment?

I LOVE Twitter today over Twitter before Musk took it over. I can say "There are only 2 genders!" on Twitter today without fear of having my account deleted. I can talk about the deadly, imo, vaccines without worrying my account will be gone in a moment. Today I can disagree openly with mainstream media narratives without loosing my Twitter account.

I wish Elon Musk luck & hope he ENDS censorship on all social media platforms through his excellent work protecting & promoting free speech on Twitter.

I never imagined a company who used to proclaim, "Think Different!" would become anti-Free speech & pro-censorship as Apple appears to be today. Sad.

DJTaurus

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2012
I've asked in previous threads for specific examples of what has changed since Elon took over, and I never get them provided.
It’s just their narrative mate. After all they are the ones that invented and helped cancel culture to thrive.

Please people give us one example of how toxic Elon is ? And please don’t use the point of space Karen lmao

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Let’s be real. The left doesn’t like any speech that disagrees with their viewpoint and they want to shut it down.
We just don't like hate speech, racism, and people who threaten to cause harm over the Internet.

There's plenty of right leaning people on Twitter who were never banned or restricted because they managed to not behave like psychopaths. Even our former president, saying all the horrible things he did, didn't finally get banned until he started whipping his followers into causing a freaking insurrection that got someone killed.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Apple does a lot of business with China. It’s no surprise they don’t like free speech.

Musk is showing us just how much corporations control our thoughts. He’s risking his wealth and status to do so. I didnt have strong opinions about him before he bought Twitter. But he is really impressing me with his dedication to free speech.
Not sure if sarcasm or not.

The irony of the statement is hilarious. Twitter is banning accounts that voice anything against Musk by demonstrating his verification policy is pointless or any employee who disagrees with him. Elon is trying to control the narrative not let free speech win out.

All Apple is doing is protecting their brand. They won't advertise on Twitter because they don't want to be associated. They also don't want to distribute the Twitter app if it is not moderated to prevent hate speech and fake news because they also don't want to be complicit.

Elon is within his rights to moderate Twitter and ban whichever accounts he chooses to ban -- it is his company. He can take his ball and go home.

But he cannot force or expect other companies to support him and go down with his sinking ship.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I get served apple ads in twitter all the time, so I dunno what he’s talking about.

I used to be a fan of Musk’s, and I do admire what he’s done at Tesla and Space X. But it’s increasingly clear that something has happened with him. He’s basically just a right wing troll now. It’s sad to see, honestly.

MacOH21

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2018
It’s just their narrative mate. After all they are the ones that invented and helped cancel culture to thrive.

Please people give us one example of how toxic Elon is ? And please don’t use the point of space Karen lmao

I think Twitter's ex workforce would consider him highly toxic.

I get served apple ads in twitter all the time, so I dunno what he’s talking about.

I used to be a fan of Musk’s, and I do admire what he’s done at Tesla and Space X. But it’s increasingly clear that something has happened with him. He’s basically just a right wing troll now. It’s sad to see, honestly.
Agree with you 100%. Especially the 2nd statement you made.

I think Elon Musk just thrives on attention now. It’s the attention that makes him happy now. Toxic and brutal.

Money the root of all evil 🗣️

macdisciple

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2016
USA
I wish Apple supported free speech. It's sad that Apple limits content in the App Store and has weird demands on 3rd party platforms.
I'm sure you understand Apple is not a government entity and not required to support free speech. Do you believe the integrity of all government elections should be absolute? Well, what about the integrity of all information? Do you believe anything can be posted to social media platforms even if the information is patently false and disrupts the well being of citizens?

DMG35

Contributor
May 27, 2021
We just don't like hate speech, racism, and people who threaten to cause harm over the Internet.

There's plenty of right leaning people on Twitter who were never banned or restricted because they managed to not behave like psychopaths. Even our former president, saying all the horrible things he did, didn't finally get banned until he started whipping his followers into causing a freaking insurrection that got someone killed.

And yet you're ok with the Taliban being on Twitter?

dms_91

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2016

Na. He’s just fed up with the woke and extreme left. He’s moderate.

dugbug

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2008
Somewhere in Florida
this has got to be about app store dev fees (30% 8.99 blue check subscription or whatever).

Twitter would likely only pay 15 or negotiate even less. My guess is he wants 0%.

Reactions: jole
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.