Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
I think free speech is what Musk brings to Twitter within the fair application of its terms of service.
Saying he brings free speech except for the stuff he bans is nonsense.

What he brings is different moderation policies than his predecessors.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
I think free speech is what Musk brings to Twitter within the fair application of its terms of service.
Nope. It’s not “free speech” if the terms of service are a moving target based on the feelings of a small man. We can just chalk it up to what everyone has been saying, it’s a private platform and they can moderate as they see fit. I am fine with that, just don’t call it “free speech.”

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Nope. It’s not “free speech” if the terms of service are a moving target based on the feelings of a small man. We can just chalk it up to what everyone has been saying, it’s a private platform and they can moderate as they see fit. I am fine with that, just don’t call it “free speech.”

Laws, rules, and policies are under persistent interpretation, review, and revision.

The best anyone can hope for is their fair application.

It is that fair application that I believe Musk felt was missing and has brought to Twitter.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Well, since I called that claim nonsense, I don't think we agree. And the idea that he is fairly applying its terms of service is also nonsense.

Actually based on your whole statement conclude we agree more than disagree. But I defer to your judgement as to your feelings.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Actually based on your whole statement conclude we agree more than disagree. But I defer to your judgement as to your feelings.
The part that you are missing is that I don't think the term "free speech" can be used to describe Musk's twitter any more than it could be used to describe old Twitter. Both moderate using extremely similar policies.

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
The part that you are missing is that I don't think the term "free speech" can be used to describe Musk's twitter any more than it could be used to describe old Twitter. Both moderate using extremely similar policies.

Didn’t miss it at all. I still think we agree more than disagree.

People are caught up with the term free speech and then go all Perry Mason if Twitter or a member does something that falls within or without what they feel it means.

In my opinion the rules at Twitter has not changed much at all.

Now here is where we likely disagree.

How those rules were interpreted and applied prior to acquisition was unequal.
Was that unfairness conscious or unconscious, malicious or unintentional is debatable.

How those rules are being applied post acquisition is more equal.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Posting public information that Musk himself said would be allowed isn't doxxing. And journalists reporting on the change in policy certainly isn't doxxing.
You can’t track his jet without non public information.

Elon has a PIA, which protects the privacy of entities using a private craft.

There is a difference between researching this information yourself and putting it on a platter, essentially making an app from it. Allowing for frictionless stalking.

Political speech which was restricted on the old Twitter. Nobody was getting mad about being censored for their right to stalk or threaten people. People were mad about censorship on their political beliefs.

But it’s interesting to those who call Elon a hypocrite, are suddenly free speech proponents, and suddenly agree with us that banning journalists is wrong.

Except one side banned journalist (forever) for a political belief. The other suspended them for a week for doxxing.

The difference is clear.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You can’t track his jet without non public information.

Elon has a PIA, which protects the privacy of entities using a private craft.
Again, Elon himself said that he would allow it a month ago. You're just going off on a tangent.

Political speech which was restricted on the old Twitter. Nobody was getting mad about being censored for their right to stalk or threaten people. People were mad about censorship on their political beliefs.

But it’s interesting to those who call Elon a hypocrite, are suddenly free speech proponents, and suddenly agree with us that banning journalists is wrong.

Except one side banned journalist (forever) for a political belief. The other suspended them for a week for doxxing.

The difference is clear.
Do you have any data to back that assertion? I'm not going to follow you down a rabbit hole of discussing whether COVID misinformation was "political speech". That's nonsense.

To the point, Twitter's own data shows that they favored conservative sources and accounts.

Reactions: 1885507

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Again, Elon himself said that he would allow it a month ago. You're just going off on a tangent.
You are repeating a line you heard others say. “It’s public information”

It’s wrong. What’s the tangent? Stop spreading information without verifying it yourself. I’m sure you didn’t verify anything. Just repeating a line.

Are you purposely not answering the question? Or are you acknowledging that it's just your opinion based on no data?

Lmao! You just ignored my point! ^^

Do you have any data to back that assertion? I'm not going to follow you down a rabbit hole of discussing whether COVID misinformation was "political speech". That's nonsense.
What covid misinformation? You mean posts like mine? Feel free to ‘debunk’

To the point, Twitter's own data shows that they favored conservative sources and accounts.
😏

SnappleRumors

Suspended
Aug 22, 2022
Are you purposely not answering the question? Or are you acknowledging that it's just your opinion based on no data?

What’s to answer beyond the absence today of the unfair conduct of last year? You don’t realize you are ask to prove a negative.

And of course it is my opinion … based on the lack of data to the contrary.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
You are repeating a line you heard others say. “It’s public information”

It’s wrong. What’s the tangent? Stop spreading information without verifying it yourself. I’m sure you didn’t verify anything. Just repeating a line.
Okay. I'll bite. The PIA does not change the fact that the information is public.

Lmao! You just ignored my point! ^^
I didn't ignore your point. I specifically told you that I thought it was a tangent to the conversation. And a quick web search showed me that it was also incorrect.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
What’s to answer beyond the absence today of the unfair conduct of last year? You don’t realize you are ask to prove a negative.

And of course it is my opinion … based on the lack of data to the contrary.
Data to show that there is an absence today of the unfair conduct of last year. There is certainly still unfair conduct, as we've been discussing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.