Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Mar 25, 2021
I am taking bets how long until Twitter declares bankruptcy. Not paying their Google cloud bill is pretty bad. It is not a question how long until Google pulls the plug for non payment.

I have been at places who dragged their feet paying their bills not because they didn't have money but a mixture of wanting to get a better deal and someone completely forgot to do it. Basically we as a company lost all credit with them and had to pay upfront. plus lost some discounts. It ended up costing us more and got us danguouslly close of entire app not working.

Reactions: CarlJ

mguzzi

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Columbia SC
IMG_2342.jpeg

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
At least they had some credibility at one time before losing all of their sponsors to "free" speech, it's also lost $15 billion since Musk took over. This pretty much sums up what they've become.

xc64b7sovk5b1.png

If the goal was to buy just to bankrupt it then he's well on his way.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
Free speech wasn't quite free as some lib's would like you to think and neither is it free now under Musk.
It just changed from one gang of virtue signaling to another.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Free speech wasn't quite free as some lib's would like you to think and neither is it free now under Musk.
It just changed from one gang of virtue signaling to another.
Apparently.

Hate Speech’s Rise on Twitter Is Unprecedented, Researchers Find​

Before Elon Musk bought Twitter, slurs against Black Americans showed up on the social media service an average of 1,282 times a day. After the billionaire became Twitter’s owner, they jumped to 3,876 times a day.

Slurs against gay men appeared on Twitter 2,506 times a day on average before Mr. Musk took over. Afterward, their use rose to 3,964 times a day.

And antisemitic posts referring to Jews or Judaism soared more than 61 percent in the two weeks after Mr. Musk acquired the site.

dk001

macrumors demi-god
Oct 3, 2014
Sage, Lightning, and Mountains
One item I now find on Twitter today vs BE (Before Elon) is a broad range of opinions and news articles. The days of the strict filtered one sided view is dying. Hearing all sides of a debate, even those we may not like, is the hallmark of free speech. Nice to see that returning.

As for the supposed rise of hate speech, I guess it depends on the researchers opinion. “This is our definition of hate speech. This is how we look at the data. Therefore our conclusion is conclusion.”

IMHO, the NYT is not a venue of trust and accuracy.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
At least they had some credibility at one time before losing all of their sponsors [SNIP]
Nope. Twitter had lost all credibility. Old-Twitter had been an accomplice to the most massive government fraud and censorship of free speech ever in the fall of 2020. When Twitter found out that they had been snookered by activists at the FBI, they said... nothing! Nothing at all. No, "Oops. Our bad. That was really really wrong thing that we helped amplify." Just nothing. That was the most appalling thing any social media company has ever done. No matter what else ever happens with Musk and Twitter, I admire him for unearthing those shameful actions and the shameful coverup that old-Twitter continued to perpetuate. That ugliness needed to be exposed all to see. And, interestingly, some are still unwilling to even acknowledge that ugly incident in our history.

The Twitter That Was™ had zero credibility.

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Nope. Twitter had lost all credibility. Old-Twitter had been an accomplice to the most massive government fraud and censorship of free speech ever in the fall of 2020. When Twitter found out that they had been snookered by activists at the FBI, they said... nothing! Nothing at all. No, "Oops. Our bad. That was really really wrong thing that we helped amplify." Just nothing. That was the most appalling thing any social media company has ever done. No matter what else ever happens with Musk and Twitter, I admire him for unearthing those shameful actions and the shameful coverup that old-Twitter continued to perpetuate. That ugliness needed to be exposed all to see. And, interestingly, some are still unwilling to even acknowledge that ugly incident in our history.

The Twitter That Was™ had zero credibility.
As clearly outlined by the fact that the N word went up by 500% after Musk took over. They say "free speech" but what they really mean is freedom to spout hate speech.

Use of N-word on Twitter jumped by almost 500% after Elon Musk's takeover as trolls test limits on free speech, report says​

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
As clearly outlined by the fact that the N word [SNIP]
Um... what question were you answering? What clams I made are you responding to? Old-Twitter had zero credibility. Period. End of story. They were an accomplice to the most shameful censorship and manipulation by FBI activists in (AFAICT) our entire history. And then they were silent. That ugliness needs to be exposed for all to see. #NeverAgain. And, sadly, some are still unwilling to even acknowledge those ugly incidents in our history.

Are you one of the ones who still refuses to acknowledge the complicity and silence of Old-Twitter in those 2020 incidents? Do you continue to lack 2020-hindsight?

Reactions: MrTangent

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Musk has turned twitter into 4chan, it was garbage before he bought it, they never did enough to stop the bots and trolls but at least the worst offenders were blocked. Now it’s a free for all and he brought back the worst people on earth, who were banned for good reason, along with bending over backwards for dictators because they share musks extreme political beliefs.

You used to at least be able to filter out the garbage, now it’s forced onto our feeds, as long as they pay for it. The most extreme fanatics out there are getting verified and able to push their garbage out for everyone to see. Stuff you’d have never come across before is at the top of different feeds.

Musk is a truly horrible person, and proof that no man should have such enormous power just because he has a lot of money. I really do hope the government suspends all his contracts and he is eventually held accountable for all the grift and fraud along with being a foreign agent.

• Love
Reactions: CarlJ and ericgtr12

redbeard331

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
Um... what question were you answering? What clams I made are you responding to? Old-Twitter had zero credibility. Period. End of story. They were an accomplice to the most shameful censorship and manipulation by FBI activists in (AFAICT) our entire history. And then they were silent. That ugliness needs to be exposed for all to see. #NeverAgain. And, sadly, some are still unwilling to even acknowledge those ugly incidents in our history.

Are you one of the ones who still refuses to acknowledge the complicity and silence of Old-Twitter in those 2020 incidents? Do you continue to lack 2020-hindsight?

I can suggest some things for you to read so you don’t say things as funny as this again. However, you don’t sound very interested though.

• Disagree
Reactions: zevrix

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
I can suggest some things for you to read so you don’t say things as funny as this again.
You have evidence that Old-Twitter wasn't used by FBI activists to commit fraud and censorship in October, 2020? You have evidence that Twitter never acknowledged their role in perpetuating those lies? Really?
However, you don’t sound very interested though.
Incorrect. I'm always interested in evidence-based arguments. OTOH, this forum has no interest whatsoever in innuendo-based arguments. If you have evidence to support your "say things as funny" claim, please provide it. If you don't, please acknowledge that you don't. One or the other.

It sounds like you're in deep denial over the disinformation and censorship those FBI-employed activists did in October, 2020, and you're in denial over Twitter's complicity in those fabrications. Are you willing to accept what you think may be completely wrong?

Reactions: MrTangent

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
As clearly outlined by the fact that the N word went up by 500% after Musk took over. They say "free speech" but what they really mean is freedom to spout hate speech.

Use of N-word on Twitter jumped by almost 500% after Elon Musk's takeover as trolls test limits on free speech, report says​

If its trolls testing limits of free speech then its nothing to worry about in neither term.

Agree with @FloatingBones regarding selective measurement and definitions of what exactly is hate speech in era of woke elitists.

Reactions: zevrix

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
You keep saying this phrase (or minor variations) over and over - why don't you come out and say specifically, exactly what allegations you're making.
This is why I back my statements up with sources and actual data. All they offer is anecdotal speculation, specifically because they simply don't have the data or facts to cite as it all seems to be based on emotion.

The reality, no matter what side one is on, is that Twitter has lost a third of its value since Musk took over, after having paid $44 billion for a company that was only worth $33 billion and is now only worth $15 billion. Not exactly a genius businessman but hey, if it's worth that sort of money to give you the biggest social media microphone in the world then maybe it's a good use of your time and money when you're one of the richest people on the planet.

CarlJ

macrumors 604
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
This is why I back my statements up with sources and actual data. All they offer is anecdotal speculation, specifically because they simply don't have the data or facts to cite as it all seems to be based on emotion.
Okay, that's hilarious - I asked you, in very straightforward language, to give specific data, and you pontificate about how you give specific data and everyone else does not (and that's why you're superior) - and then you don't bother to provide the specific data I requested. Not really making yourself look trustworthy there.

Last edited:

ericgtr12

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2015
Okay, that's hilarious - I asked you, in very straightforward language, to give specific data, and you pontificate about how you give specific data and everyone else does not (and that's why you're superior) - and then you don't bother to provide the specific data I requested. Not really making yourself look trustworthy there.
You seem to have me confused with someone else here, can you show where you specifically quoted me prior to my post?

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
The purchase of Twitter was just to have a ready made platform for Musk to make “X” a reality. Now he has it even if he had to over pay for it.

Check the futures for Space X and see that Musk will make billions upon billions more from that alone. I’m sure he isn’t worried about the future.

FloatingBones

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2006
You keep saying this phrase (or minor variations) over and over - why don't you come out and say specifically, exactly what allegations you're making.
@CarlJ : googling on "fbi censored october 2020" would have trivially found the news story about this FBI disinformation and censorship:
Nobody had asked. Carl, Eric: I presumed that anyone participating in this discussion here was already familiar with The Twitter Files, the NY Post's Stories on the topic, etc. Read the story. Then go back and read the original censored October 2020 NY Post story. It sure as heck ain't "anecdotal speculation". The FBI knew that Hunter Biden's abandoned laptop was real: they had had it in their possession since 2019. Pre-bunking the NY Post October 2020 news story was an act of deliberate censorship.

Also, the Biden campaign, Blinken orchestrated intel letter to discredit Hunter Biden laptop story, ex-CIA official says . Those 51 ex-government officials falsely discredited the Hunter Biden Laptop story -- an "open letter" act of disinformation that had never ever happened in our history. This was a reprehensible act; those 51 have enshrined themselves in a virtual Hall of Shame.

Did you really not know about these events, @ericgtr12 ? Did you not know about this fake Open Letter "correction" signed by 51 ex-government officials?

Apple Fan 2008

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2021
Florida, USA 🇺🇸
People say stupid things online. People have said stupid things online to me. I don't agree with what they say about me, but I think they're allowed to say it.
And trust me when I said those words really really hurt. Once I was asked if I wanted to marry a tick-riddled opossum when I said that I was single and was hoping to be married some day. Was that a stupid thing for that person to say? Yes. Should that person be allowed to say that? Yes.

• Wow
Reactions: dk001
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.