Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beautyspin

macrumors 65816
Dec 14, 2012
why? if it costs too much to do business and affects profits, then retreat could be a best case scenario. Until EU buyers revolt against the EU lawmakers. Politicians still need votes to maintain their power base...
Well, governments may change, rules may change, and it could be business as usual for Apple if it toughs it out. It is possible that complying with the rules may make many premium Android phone buyers switch to iPhones. However, if they exit, then it is permanent bye-bye. I doubt the shareholders will accept it. Tim and any board members who support him in this may be fired as well as blacklisted.

Reactions: Lyrics23

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Reactions: AlphaCentauri

Lukomaldini

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2018
And when they're hit in China for similar reasons, they should exit that market as well? And what would happen when DOJ starts anti-trust case against Apple? Quit US market as well, and sell only to penguins in Antarctica?
I think penguins would be a good option, although I heard iPhones were more popular with them during the 4 and 4s as the colour options were black and white 😉

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Maybe the EU should employ better lawyers to stop companies easily circumventing the new rules

I'm surprised that there isn't a fine structure set up so that malicious compliance isn't a trigger for a % of revenues-level fine.
“Worldwide revenue” at that to boot. As in, they are dipping in business even out of the EU.
Say what you will whether it’s fair or unfair everything else around it, this part I find crazy and image tainting regarding their motivations.

• Love
Reactions: Luap and iOS Geek

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Maybe the EU should employ better lawyers to stop companies easily circumventing the new rules

I'm surprised that there isn't a fine structure set up so that malicious compliance isn't a trigger for a % of revenues-level fine.
Malicious compliance is really non-compliance, if the investigation judges it as such. The fine structure is in place for that.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
Well, governments may change, rules may change, and it could be business as usual for Apple if it toughs it out. It is possible that complying with the rules may make many premium Android phone buyers switch to iPhones. However, if they exit, then it is permanent bye-bye. I doubt the shareholders will accept it. Tim and any board members who support him in this may be fired as well as blacklisted.
Andorid users are already migrating at 11-15% a year to iOS phones.
They are vvoting with the wallets already.

With Google also on the investigation list, the escape route to an Android phone could be as problematic as well.

EU just dont like US tech companies.

The shareholders should be jumping all over the DoJ for their huge public statement that has affected share price before any inbestigation has occurred. DoJ have tarnished the reputation. Defamed it even. Cook and the Board deserve to be upset and the shareholders too. Some of the allegations they made are waffly rubbish. They stand no chance of winning. You cant force users to buy alternative phones. They can force Apple to make all those changes and what happens when most people continue to buy Apple and but from the app store? Will they have to find another way to "level the playing field"? Perhaps a few heads should roll at the DoJ office instead?

Lethal-Bacon

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2024
seemed there was no issue pulling out of Russia... and didnt hear a peep from a shareholder
Because its 1 singular country where they dont have that much revenue in.
Same **** if South Korea, Brazil, Turkey, Australia did something and they wanted to pull out.. it would not affect them that much.
EU is a big group that has more population than the entire US.
I live in Austria, and whenever im riding the train or walking in the city centre any teen i look at has an Iphone, older people dont really care that much about phones but vast majority between 13-19 probably own an Iphone which is the same thing as it currently is in USA, they simply arent pulling out of this particular market no matter what EU Comission says or does.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK

They haven't circumvented them, that's why the non-compliance investigations are being opened.

If they are not compliant there is the potential for % of global revenues fines.

amartinez1660

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2014
Perhaps Apple should just sell iPhones with nothing installed.
Let the EU users work out what to load and how?

Or a button... load standard iOS/standard Android.

Consumers given the ultimate choice then.
EU cant complain about any preinstalled apps or defaults.
I’m a proponent of this, specially for all those “I should be able to do with my device whatever I want”

You get the hardware, then you are offered the choices you proposed: go Apple ecosystem, go Android ecosystem or let me add a third; 100% fully custom “the world is your oyster do whatever you want” open blanket.

Choosing Android or the open blanket then things like FaceID, wallet, NFC, etc security needs to be nerfed down and opened up for every new OS or system to access it (hence complying with the open DMA nature of it).

I wouldn’t mind that, everybody here says that the more choices the better.

The Phazer

macrumors 68040
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
seemed there was no issue pulling out of Russia... and didnt hear a peep from a shareholder

It's not like Apple had a lot of choice there, unless Tim fancied a long stretch in prison.

Also Russia was worth very little revenue, and their currency collapsed so it was going to be worth a lot less.

What did you expect shareholders to say?

kimjongbill

macrumors member
May 13, 2016
I told you guys this would get out of control! All of us are being told what we can and cannot do like characters in the movie "The Matrix". All of you guys who thought this was great are going to ultimately hate it! Governments should not be picking winners and losers and telling companies, like Apple, what they can and cannot do! Absolute power! Corrupts absolutely!
How am I being told what to do? I am not/don’t own a massive international organization

MacProFCP

Contributor
Jun 14, 2007
Michigan
How about the EU promulgate some laws instead of making it up as they go along. Apple was quick to implement USB-C and they changed the App Store entirely.

I mean, come on, what exactly do they want? As far as I can tell, all they want from Apple... is fines.

Lethal-Bacon

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2024
hard to prove something malicious is it follows the vague wording...
well if DMA says that you must enable competition to develop and publish Alternative app stores free of charge and restrictions and you put in a "Core Technology Fee" that makes most if not all competiting companies not want to develop an app store does that mean you are maliciously complying, not complying at all, or vaguely complying?
i dont know but if they did comply with how the DMA was worded there certaintly would not be this many investigations not even a full month into the law.
Im not picking only on Apple, it goes for every big tech company.
US is very liberal when it comes to data privacy, pro consumer protections, pro repair, pro user choice and many such things.
EU is not like that and it certantly cares more about its citizens in that regard.
What US population think is gov overreach is simply what US wants to do but cant because all of the lobbying big tech does so nothing changes and their bad business practices keep on running smooth.

I dont know how many of you are Software Engineers/Web developers but before DMA came into the force, Amazon Web Services where you can host and run your apps from charged CRAZY amount of $ if you wanted to move to competing cloud provider and when DMA came into full effect they fully complied with the law not only for EU customers but world wide and made it a lot better and simpler to move if that is your decision and even worked on becoming better competing service so business customers dont want to leave..
This is a prime example of how you comply with good faith and make your overall product better than the competitors in many regards.

wbeasley

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2007
I’m a proponent of this, specially for all those “I should be able to do with my device whatever I want”

You get the hardware, then you are offered the choices you proposed: go Apple ecosystem, go Android ecosystem or let me add a third; 100% fully custom “the world is your oyster do whatever you want” open blanket.

Choosing Android or the open blanket then things like FaceID, wallet, NFC, etc security needs to be nerfed down and opened up for every new OS or system to access it (hence complying with the open DMA nature of it).

I wouldn’t mind that, everybody here says that the more choices the better.
why do FaceID need to be allowed for alt OSes by Apple?

The US blocked a blood monitoring hardware/software Watch feature because of supposed patent breach.
A device can have hardware that is selectively used by OSes.

Alt OSes are going to have a hard time coding for something they know nothing about. It's Apple's IP.

So I agree: allow a third option "I'm a masochist and I will write my own OS" button.

Reactions: bobone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.