Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
I do so like cherry season, they're so easy to pick!

Monoprice you say? Here's a couple common basic cables where the MFI certified Lightning version is cheaper.

Here’s the thing. In your effort to show a 12 cent price difference versus 4 and 5 dollar differences, you failed to realize that those are not the same cables, one with lightning and the other USB-C. Though I understand the confusion since they both use the word ‘select’. The lightning cable uses a cheap PVC jacket, while the USB-C cable uses superior TPE. The USB-C cable is also spec’d for USB 3.0 while the lightning cable is 2.0. ‘B’ for effort, but that isn’t apples to apples.

Reactions: saber32au

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
Here’s the thing. In your effort to show a 12 cent price difference versus 4 and 5 dollar differences, you failed to realize that those are not the same cables, one with lightning and the other USB-C. Though I understand the confusion since they both use the word ‘select’. The lightning cable uses a cheap PVC jacket, while the USB-C cable uses superior TPE. The USB-C cable is also spec’d for USB 3.0 while the lightning cable is 2.0. ‘B’ for effort, but that isn’t apples to apples.
Pretty much nobody among the common public cares about that sort of difference.

… and folks are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel to use cable costs as reasoning for government intervention when it’s rather clear the general consumer market is indifferent. Products with Lightning connectors aren't exactly languishing on shelves unsold….

Reactions: I7guy

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

… and folks are definitely scraping the bottom of the barrel to use cable costs as reasoning for government intervention when it’s rather clear the general consumer market is indifferent. Products with Lightning connectors aren't exactly languishing on shelves unsold….
Nor are the “cheaper” lightning cables falling apart en-masse. In fact, other than the anecdotal situations posted by MR lightning cables seem to be durable. Of course, abusing them will cause premature failure…same as with usb-c.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Bottom line is the definition of “deflection” and “disingenuous “ is a personal definition.

Ok. That is a good hypothesis. (opinion)

It’s not about whether a MFI accessory is “more expensive “, it’s whether these accessories can be bought at a fair price and see of reasonable quality, which they can and are. Two different viewpoints.

I asked for other examples of successful customer focused companies that put “profits before customers “. You weren’t able to provide any, so your thoughts are just hyperbolic. Customers buy elective consumer focused products based on their cost vs function (plus other intangible qualities), imo. Your view of relative worth of a product is different than the next persons.

Nobody said you couldn’t get cheap lightning cables, but they’re generally low quality. The point is you can get better, longer lasting USB-C cables for the same price as a cheaper lightning cable. This actually lends credence to the EU’s argument. If a consumer spends $10 dollars on a cable, the USB-C version will generally be higher quality, meaning it may last 2 years instead of just 1 year, creating less e-waste.

The ATV HD costing $150 while the vastly superior ATV 4K “2.0” can be be had for $180 makes the former a huge rip off. The tediousness required to update the Series 3 watch shows Apple is more concerned about suckering someone into getting a watch from them rather than having the customer buy something from the competition, regardless of the shabby user experience of the Series 3.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Nor are the “cheaper” lightning cables falling apart en-masse. In fact, other than the anecdotal situations posted by MR lightning cables seem to be durable. Of course, abusing them will cause premature failure…same as with usb-c.

https://www.reddit.com/r/iphone/comments/4n73zr
Yup, lighting cable failures are only a MR phenomenon. Step outside your echo chamber every once in awhile.

?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Nobody said you couldn’t get cheap lightning cables, but they’re generally low quality. The point is you can get better, longer lasting USB-C cables for the same price as a cheaper lightning cable. This actually lends credence to the EU’s argument. If a consumer spends $10 dollars on a cable, the USB-C version will generally be higher quality, meaning it may last 2 years instead of just 1 year, creating less e-waste.
“Cheap cables” being low quality is an an over-generalization. One could say the same about cheap usb-c cables contributing to e-waste and not lending credence to the EUs argument. Using the same over-generalizations. Why do people complain that usb-c gets loose over a period of time.

The ATV HD costing $150 while the vastly superior ATV 4K “2.0” can be be had for $180 makes the former a huge rip off. The tediousness required to update the Series 3 watch shows Apple is more concerned about suckering someone into getting a watch from them rather than having the customer buy something from the competition, regardless of the shabby user experience of the Series 3.
In general, companies make mistakes. Those companies that learn from their mistakes, tend to move forward.(as a generalist statement) Apple has made some mistakes, but not enough so they didn’t get to $2T. Maybe the series 3 (of which I have no experience, so I’m relying on a genuine argument) could have been engineered better. But that doesn’t invalidate that Apple produces products and services that contribute to extraordinary revenue even though there are factions that disagree with the ceo, company, product engineering. Apple forged ahead jn spite of this type of critique.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
[…]

Yup, lighting cable failures are only a MR phenomenon. Step outside your echo chamber every once in awhile.

?
The above is a personal attack as was some of the other replies of the same ilk. got it.

Typical all or nothing argument. Can you produce stats (of course you can’t — only post anecdotal evidence) of the ratio of lightning failures compared to what may be out there) I suspect it’s a drop in the bucket, but the Internet echo chamber makes it seem as if it’s a real problem.

Last edited:

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
“Cheap cables” being low quality is an an over-generalization. One could say the same about cheap usb-c cables contributing to e-waste and not lending credence to the EUs argument. Using the same over-generalizations. Why do people complain that usb-c gets loose over a period of time.

In general, companies make mistakes. Those companies that learn from their mistakes, tend to move forward.(as a generalist statement) Apple has made some mistakes, but not enough so they didn’t get to $2T. Maybe the series 3 (of which I have no experience, so I’m relying on a genuine argument) could have been engineered better. But that doesn’t invalidate that Apple produces products and services that contribute to extraordinary revenue even though there are factions that disagree with the ceo, company, product engineering. Apple forged ahead jn spite of this type of critique.

Cheap USB-C cables probably do lead to more e-waste than more expensive USB-C cables. This is no different than lightning. However, on average someone is more likely to end up with a higher quality USB-C cable than lightning cable. The point is perfectly illustrated by deeddawg’s example. There would be ~$6 spent on a cable in both cases, but the person buying the USB-C cable got something that will generally last longer because it’s made with better quality materials. Instead of $4 of the cable cost going to Apple for licensing, that money went into the cable itself instead.

The above is a personal attack as was some of the other replies of the same ilk. got it.

Typical all or nothing argument. Can you produce stats (of course you can’t — only post anecdotal evidence) of the ratio of lightning failures compared to what may be out there) I suspect it’s a drop in the bucket, but the Internet echo chamber makes it seem as if it’s a real problem.

Keep moving the goal posts. First it was a MR-only problem of limited anecdotes. Then when it’s pointed out that it is in fact a known issue outside of MR, suddenly we need data that we both know doesn’t exist in order for it to be a real problem. Ya know, because folks from disparate parts of the internet all decided to start a fake conspiracy that lightning connectors sometimes have an issue with the pins corroding. Just for giggles I guess?

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH

It’s not only about the cost itself. Having to spend more money on a decent lightning cable means people are more likely to end up with a low quality cable than those buying USB-C. You yourself were gracious enough to show how that can be the case. And of course lightning accessories aren’t languishing on the shelf. There are millions of iPhone users and owners of older iPads out there who don’t exactly have a choice in the matter.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Cheap USB-C cables probably do lead to more e-waste than more expensive USB-C cables. This is no different than lightning. However, on average someone is more likely to end up with a higher quality USB-C cable than lightning cable. The point is perfectly illustrated by deeddawg’s example. There would be ~$6 spent on a cable in both cases, but the person buying the USB-C cable got something that will generally last longer because it’s made with better quality materials. Instead of $4 of the cable cost going to Apple for licensing, that money went into the cable itself instead.
Rendering lightning cables useless will probably throw hundreds of millions of them into e-waste….exactly what the EU seeks to avoid. Cheap usb-c cables, according to your logic, must be as bad as cheap lightning cables.
Keep moving the goal posts. First it was a MR-only problem of limited anecdotes. Then when it’s pointed out that it is in fact a known issue outside of MR, suddenly we need data that we both know doesn’t exist in order for it to be a real problem. Ya know, because folks from disparate parts of the internet all decided to start a fake conspiracy that lightning connectors sometimes have an issue with the pins corroding. Just for giggles I guess?
I’ll let this “work of grandeur “ speak for itself.

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Rendering lightning cables useless will probably throw hundreds of millions of them into e-waste….exactly what the EU seeks to avoid. Cheap usb-c cables, according to your logic, must be as bad as cheap lightning cables.

I’ll let this “work of grandeur “ speak for itself.

If that’s all you managed to glean from that, then you might want to go back and reread it a few times until you understand the rest of what was said.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If that’s all you managed to glean from that, then you might want to go back and reread it a few times until you understand the rest of what was said.
Might want to go back and attempt a response to what was posted. To understand there is a potential for a lot of e-waste…should this come to pass. The conversation that lightning is inferior at the same price is a red-herring.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
None of my various lightning cables show that charring. Going back to my iPhone 5s as well as various iPads.

Though I also don't use cheap power supplies either, often Anker or other "known" brand - and sometimes Apple but usually prefer multipart adapters.
If you use one for 3 years, you will see it, especially Apple branded ones. It’s not a defect, but a result of statics sparking. This is due to the lightning port design. USB does not have this issue.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
If you use one for 3 years, you will see it, especially Apple branded ones. It’s not a defect, but a result of statics sparking. This is due to the lightning port design. USB does not have this issue.
Keeping things clean with isopropyl occasionally stops that from happening. And not keeping the cable in damp places with the brick plugged in helps as well. That’s why I have all my original charging cables that the dog didn’t eat.
Usb-c is not without issues:

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
Funny that you chose to ignore the "wishing to cash in on that innovation" part?

The crux, where one company seeks a competitive advantage and the others wish to maintain the status quo.
They don’t. Having a “competitive advantage” or “product differentiation“ would mean that the market is not perfectly competitive. This means consumers pay more, and said company would get economic profit, in additional to accounting profit.

Cables and ports are public utilities. Just like Tesla should not be allowed to have their own charging ports.

• Disagree
Reactions: ruka.snow and I7guy

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Might want to go back and attempt a response to what was posted. To understand there is a potential for a lot of e-waste…should this come to pass. The conversation that lightning is inferior at the same price is a red-herring.
I did. Over 300 posts ago.

You might be interested rehashing the same points over and over again, but I’m not. If you want you can reread through the thread as many times as you’d like. You can use the linked post as a starting point.

Cable price and quality is only a red herring if you somehow manage to miss the impact of cable longevity on the amount of e-waste created.

Keeping things clean with isopropyl occasionally stops that from happening. And not keeping the cable in damp places with the brick plugged in helps as well. That’s why I have all my original charging cables that the dog didn’t eat.
Usb-c is not without issues:
Lint can get into any port. I’ve had to clean out my lighting port before. If anything the lightning port allows for lint to get in easier since it’s completely open. The tab in the USB-C port would make in harder for lint to get into, though harder to clean out.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I did. Over 300 posts ago.

You might be interested rehashing the same points over and over again, but I’m not. If you want you can reread through the thread as many times as you’d like. You can use the linked post as a starting point.
Having hundreds of millions of cables hit the garbage dump Is not shortsighted thinking, it seems like a legitimate issue. You can rehash or not; makes no difference.

Cable price and quality is only a red herring if you somehow manage to miss the impact of cable longevity on the amount of e-waste created.
As a speculative statement I agree, as a fact about the longevity of each cable relative to its price. Good luck proving it. It’s the facts that count not the opinion.
Lint can get into any port. I’ve had to clean out my lighting port before. If anything the lightning port allows for lint to get in easier since it’s completely open. The tab in the USB-C port would make in harder for lint to get into, though harder to clean out.
Loose connections and easier breaking due to size of the protrusion or lint.

The only positive that to date I’ve seen with usb-c is with the larger brick, my iPad Pro charges very rapidly, surprisingly so.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US

Simply haven’t seen this on any cables I own. … and since I’ve had various
ightning devices over the past nine years and don’t lose or break cables, most of those cables are well over three years old. (old phones typically went to a trade in promo offer of some sort, without their cable or charger)

Cancelled
Aug 17, 2016
ightning devices over the past nine years and don’t lose or break cables, most of those cables are well over three years old. (old phones typically went to a trade in promo offer of some sort, without their cable or charger)
You don’t use each cable enough, because most people don’t share your experience. My family and friends are all Apple ecosystem users, and we all have lightning cable and port issues.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You don’t use each cable enough, because most people don’t share your experience. My family and friends are all Apple ecosystem users, and we all have lightning cable and port issues.
ah the “if you’d use the cables more you too would have the problem” response. LOL

Dunno what to tell you… none of my family - including adult children living in their own homes) seem to have such issues either.

While I’ve not quizzed friends about their private cable habits, I’ve not heard any of them complain about such an issue either.

Guess none of them use their cables enough either. :D

Reactions: I7guy

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore

I am still using a lightning cable that came with my iPhone 5s. No issues (save for the cable being very dirty). Still works as well as the day I got it.

Reactions: technole

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
Having hundreds of millions of cables hit the garbage dump Is not shortsighted thinking, it seems like a legitimate issue. You can rehash or not; makes no difference.

As a speculative statement I agree, as a fact about the longevity of each cable relative to its price. Good luck proving it. It’s the facts that count not the opinion.

Loose connections and easier breaking due to size of the protrusion or lint.

The only positive that to date I’ve seen with usb-c is with the larger brick, my iPad Pro charges very rapidly, surprisingly so.
Correct, a bunch of cables becoming waste isn’t a non-issue. What’s short-sighted is ignoring the long-term benefit of going from three types of port to one. It’s also important to recognize that not all lightning cables are going to suddenly become useless and thrown out when the legislation is enacted. Most people don’t upgrade their phones every year. Many of the existing cables will continue to be used over their typical life cycle.

Count yourself lucky, I’ve had several not inexpensive adapters go out on me.

Ubuntu

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2005
UK/US
I thought all current iPads have USB-C? And didn't Lightning only remained as long as it did because of lack of new models. Had Apple a policy of launching new iPads across the range every year, as with phones, then surely the change would have happened earlier.

(I suspect that even with an EU ruling, there might be a period during which existing models with Lightning would be allowed. For hypothetical example, iPhone 14 would need to be USB-C but iPhone SE (assuming it were still available) could carry on for a while.)
The base level iPad still features lightning (although yeah, the vast majority are USB C now).

I think you’re right about the process. I imagine by the time they’d have to comply they’d have dropped the port ?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Correct, a bunch of cables becoming waste isn’t a non-issue. What’s short-sighted is ignoring the long-term benefit of going from three types of port to one.
As the EU sinks into a 2nd class technological tier, absent of meaningful innovation with regulation that hampers, not supports innovation, sure. That will be an intended consequence of over-draconian regulation. In addition, this will cost consumers more as consumers now have to replace the cables they have lying around their houses and cars. Sounds like a win-win-win /s
It’s also important to recognize that not all lightning cables are going to suddenly become useless and thrown out when the legislation is enacted. Most people don’t upgrade their phones every year. Many of the existing cables will continue to be used over their typical life cycle.
My guess is Apple has another plan. But yeah, as iphones die out cables go into e-waste as new cables are purchased, this will cost consumers more.
Count yourself lucky, I’ve had several not inexpensive adapters go out on me.
Not lost any lightning cables to planned obsolescence or breaking or corrosion. One anecdotal story against another anecdotal story.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.