Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With much of the tech industry's focus recently taken up by Apple's Vision Pro headset, you'd be forgiven for thinking that iPhone rumors have been few and far between over the last few months. Fortunately, that's not the case. Rumors and leaks about the iPhone 16 series continue to surface, and taken together, Apple's next-generation 2024 smartphone lineup looks like it could turn out to be a major upgrade.

iPhone-16-Pro-Sizes-Feature.jpg

To bring you up to speed, we've summarized below the biggest iPhone 16 rumors we've covered so far here on MacRumors. For more details, follow the links, or dive into our dedicated roundups for both iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro models, which are expected to arrive in September.

1. Larger Displays
Biggest Ever iPhones
This year's iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max are rumored to be getting bigger display sizes, increasing to 6.27- and 6.86-inches, respectively. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are equipped with 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays, respectively. The new display sizes would be the largest ever for the iPhone.

2. Vertical Camera Layout
iPhone 16 & iPhone 16 Plus
Apple's iPhone 16 base models will feature a vertical camera arrangement with a pill-shaped raised surface, instead of a diagonal camera arrangement like the iPhone 15. The new camera bump features two separate camera rings for the Wide and Ultrawide cameras. The vertical camera layout is expected to enable Spatial Video recording, which is currently limited to the iPhone 15 Pro models.

3. Battery Changes
All iPhone 16 Models
One rumor suggests the ‌iPhone 16‌ and iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature larger batteries than their predecessors, but the ‌iPhone 16‌ Plus may have reduced capacity. The iPhone 16 is said to have a 6% increase over the iPhone 15, with the iPhone 16 Pro Max gaining a 5% increase. In contrast, the iPhone 16 Plus is rumored to have a 9% reduction in capacity. On the other hand, Apple could also potentially use stacked battery technology to increase energy density and prolong lifespan.

4. Capture Button
New Camera Capabilities
All iPhone 16 models will have a new "Capture Button" dedicated to triggering image or video capture. The button will add features like the ability to zoom in and out by swiping left and right on the button, focus on a subject with a light press, and activate a recording with a more forceful press. The Capture Button will be located on the bottom right side of the ‌iPhone 16, and will take the place of the mmWave antenna on U.S. ‌iPhone‌ models, with the antenna relocating to the left side of the device below the volume and Action buttons.

5. Ultra Wide Lens Upgrade
iPhone 16 Pro & iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature an upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera lens, which should allow it to capture more light, resulting in improved photos when shooting in 0.5× mode, especially in low-light environments. This also means that iPhone 16 Pro models should be able to shoot 48-megapixel ProRAW photos in Ultra Wide mode. These photos retain more detail in the image file for more editing flexibility, and can be printed at large sizes.

5. Super Telephoto Camera
iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro Max could be the first to feature a super telephoto periscope camera for dramatically increased optical zoom. "Super" or "ultra" telephoto usually describes cameras with a focal length of over 300mm. The current telephoto lens is equivalent to a 77mm lens, so if accurate, there could be a notable increase in zoom capabilities. Super telephoto cameras are often used for sports and wild animal photography, but the extremely soft backgrounds they create also make them useful for portrait photography, providing there is enough distance between the subject and the photographer.

6. Faster Wi-Fi Support
Wi-Fi 6E & Wi-Fi 7
Apple's 2024 iPhone Pro models are expected to get Wi-Fi 7 in the Pro models, enabling data transfer over the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands simultaneously. This should result in faster Wi-Fi speeds, lower latency, and more reliable connectivity. With technologies such as 4K QAM, Wi-Fi 7 is also expected to offer peak data transfer speeds of over 40 Gbps, a 4× increase over Wi-Fi 6E. Meanwhile, the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus is... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Every iPhone 16 Rumor We've Covered So Far

• Love
Reactions: SurferPup

AnotherOpinion

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2015
How can anyone get excited over this?

I’m due for a new iPhone and this is so meh.

You’re talking to the biggest Apple fanboy ever!!!!!!
I'm with you on this. I feel like they are adding features we are not asking for… A new design and a lower cost are my main upgrade desires. Last year I skipped an upgrade, breaking the annual tradition, and it's uncertain if the 16 series will offer enough to consider upgrading from my current 14 Pro Max. The offerings from Samsung Galaxy, especially the stylus, stand out; having such a feature with an iPhone would be incredibly useful at times.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Cell phones are mature now. They're just like computers. There aren't any significant changes as we advance, only spec bumps.

Want to get me excited?

Screens on both sides. Have one screen on the back for notifications only.

Glowing Apple logo when charging or receiving notifications.

Motion control with my eyes and fingers.

Siri that actually works.

Make this phone and I will be excited. Wouldn’t you?

Reactions: CVUSA
Just imagine what’s been cooked up in the Apple prototype lab and that hasn’t seen the light of day…be happy w what we’re getting, it’s still some pretty powerful stuff compared to 10 years ago etc…
Want to get me excited?

Applestock

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2008
San Diego Area
I don't know why none of the rumor articles that mention 48MP ultra wide camera don't include that it would enable 4K spatial video capture (currently limited to 1080P primarily because the ultra wide lens has to crop in on 12MP). This may sound crazy, but I'd also like them to put the ultra wide lens on the other side of the phone, maybe even the bottom, to increase the distance between the lenses.

Reactions: _Mitchan1999

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I hope the smaller iPhone Pro also gets the telephoto lens. I hate this jump back to only the larger model getting all the new camera improvements. I can't imagine carrying the even bigger Pro Max in my pocket.

If Apple keeps making screens bigger and bigger then they will have to start releasing folding iPhones so that they are somewhat convenient to carry and fit.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I think it’s a bit early to be focusing on the 16 as a consumer, but I will admit I’m hoping the bigger screen rumor turns out to be reality.

I always said an iPhone with a screen in the 6.2-6.4” range is ideal for me. 6.3 would be Goldi, albeit not necessarily enough to move me from my 15PM. The other rumors don’t do much for me.

PsykX

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2006
All of these rumors make sense, and in terms of engineering & tech, I do believe this is a massive upgrade.

But smartphones nowadays are so perfect, compared next to an iPhone 15 Pro or 14 Pro, this will look like an incremental upgrade.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Want to get me excited?

Siri is software, and if rumors are true you may get your wish this year. Most of the other stuff would be useless because most put their phone in a case, which seems gimmicky. Personally, it would be a big turn-off if things flashed on my phone when I got an alert; that is what my watch is for, but I get everyone wants something different. Most of the changes I think need to happen are almost all software-related.

Jay Tee

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2023
I'm still on the 11 because my eyes can't take the iPhone's OLED for more than 15 minutes at a time. Most of my family is on the 15 Plus, and that U2 UWB chip is marvellous.

Hope the Series 16 iPhones sort the displays out for us sensitive folk.

Last edited:

Mr_Ed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 10, 2004
North and east of Mickeyland
Want to get me excited?

I’d be happy with much less.
  • An iPhone that lays flat (no camera bump). I like photography but I think we’ve gone too far trying to make phone cameras into full-fledged cameras. I fully acknowledge the convenience of phone cameras and in many situations, I’m happy to have it, but the ergonomics of a phone with regards to holding, framing, and manipulating exposure of a shot will never come close to an actual camera. We are past the point of diminishing returns for the majority of consumers with increasingly complex, ultra compact lens hardware on phones.
  • An iPhone without notches or islands cut out of the display. I’d be fine with a small bezel on top for the cameras/sensors if it means this nonsense goes away.
  • An iPhone that retains mechanical buttons for common functions. I don’t see the move to touch sensitive controls as a positive. They’ll put a lot of effort into minimizing accidental operation under a variety of conditions and it still won’t be enough. For some things, simplicity gets the job done.
  • Siri that works (I think lots of folks would agree)

Antoniosmalakia

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2021
Want to get me excited?

You might get a slightly improved Siri…

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.