Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tcatsninfan

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2022
Currently on a 13 and am not interested in the Pro phones, so overall this list looks intriguing to me (as far as the non-Pro iPhones are concerned). I don't need to upgrade every year or even every other year. Honestly, I think the ultimate deciding factor is going to be colors...this year's lineup of pastel non-Pro iPhones is probably the worst color lineup since Apple started making more than silver and black iPhones. I don't use a case, so the colors are important to me. I've always preferred darker colors to lighter ones. The 13 I have now is the dark green one, and honestly it might be my all-time favorite color. Really hoping Apple does another dark green soon.

G4er?

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Temple, TX
I’d be happy with much less.
  • An iPhone that lays flat (no camera bump). I like photography but I think we’ve gone too far trying to make phone cameras into full-fledged cameras. I fully acknowledge the convenience of phone cameras and in many situations, I’m happy to have it, but the ergonomics of a phone with regards to holding, framing, and manipulating exposure of a shot will never come close to an actual camera. We are past the point of diminishing returns for the majority of consumers with increasingly complex, ultra compact lens hardware on phones.
  • An iPhone without notches or islands cut out of the display. I’d be fine with a small bezel on top for the cameras/sensors if it means this nonsense goes away.
  • An iPhone that retains mechanical buttons for common functions. I don’t see the move to touch sensitive controls as a positive. They’ll put a lot of effort into minimizing accidental operation under a variety of conditions and it still won’t be enough. For some things, simplicity gets the job done.
  • Siri that works (I think lots of folks would agree)

The voice of reason.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
  • An iPhone that lays flat (no camera bump). I like photography but I think we’ve gone too far trying to make phone cameras into full-fledged cameras. I fully acknowledge the convenience of phone cameras and in many situations, I’m happy to have it, but the ergonomics of a phone with regards to holding, framing, and manipulating exposure of a shot will never come close to an actual camera. We are past the point of diminishing returns for the majority of consumers with increasingly complex, ultra compact lens hardware on phones.
  • An iPhone without notches or islands cut out of the display. I’d be fine with a small bezel on top for the cameras/sensors if it means this nonsense goes away.
  • An iPhone that retains mechanical buttons for common functions. I don’t see the move to touch sensitive controls as a positive. They’ll put a lot of effort into minimizing accidental operation under a variety of conditions and it still won’t be enough. For some things, simplicity gets the job done.
The camera thing ain’t happening. That’s the most explosive area on smartphones. Manufacturers want to make it easy for novices to use while having enough control for professional users all while making the hardware and software better.

Atrkira

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2024

With much of the tech industry's focus recently taken up by Apple's Vision Pro headset, you'd be forgiven for thinking that iPhone rumors have been few and far between over the last few months. Fortunately, that's not the case. Rumors and leaks about the iPhone 16 series continue to surface, and taken together, Apple's next-generation 2024 smartphone lineup looks like it could turn out to be a major upgrade.

iPhone-16-Pro-Sizes-Feature.jpg

To bring you up to speed, we've summarized below the biggest iPhone 16 rumors we've covered so far here on MacRumors. For more details, follow the links, or dive into our dedicated roundups for both iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro models, which are expected to arrive in September.

1. Larger Displays
Biggest Ever iPhones
This year's iPhone 16 Pro and iPhone 16 Pro Max are rumored to be getting bigger display sizes, increasing to 6.27- and 6.86-inches, respectively. For comparison, the iPhone 15 Pro and iPhone 15 Pro Max are equipped with 6.1-inch and 6.7-inch displays, respectively. The new display sizes would be the largest ever for the iPhone.

2. Vertical Camera Layout
iPhone 16 & iPhone 16 Plus
Apple's iPhone 16 base models will feature a vertical camera arrangement with a pill-shaped raised surface, instead of a diagonal camera arrangement like the iPhone 15. The new camera bump features two separate camera rings for the Wide and Ultrawide cameras. The vertical camera layout is expected to enable Spatial Video recording, which is currently limited to the iPhone 15 Pro models.

3. Battery Changes
All iPhone 16 Models
One rumor suggests the ‌iPhone 16‌ and iPhone 16 Pro Max will feature larger batteries than their predecessors, but the ‌iPhone 16‌ Plus may have reduced capacity. The iPhone 16 is said to have a 6% increase over the iPhone 15, with the iPhone 16 Pro Max gaining a 5% increase. In contrast, the iPhone 16 Plus is rumored to have a 9% reduction in capacity. On the other hand, Apple could also potentially use stacked battery technology to increase energy density and prolong lifespan.

4. Capture Button
New Camera Capabilities
All iPhone 16 models will have a new "Capture Button" dedicated to triggering image or video capture. The button will add features like the ability to zoom in and out by swiping left and right on the button, focus on a subject with a light press, and activate a recording with a more forceful press. The Capture Button will be located on the bottom right side of the ‌iPhone 16, and will take the place of the mmWave antenna on U.S. ‌iPhone‌ models, with the antenna relocating to the left side of the device below the volume and Action buttons.

5. Ultra Wide Lens Upgrade
iPhone 16 Pro & iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro models are expected to feature an upgraded 48-megapixel Ultra Wide camera lens, which should allow it to capture more light, resulting in improved photos when shooting in 0.5× mode, especially in low-light environments. This also means that iPhone 16 Pro models should be able to shoot 48-megapixel ProRAW photos in Ultra Wide mode. These photos retain more detail in the image file for more editing flexibility, and can be printed at large sizes.

5. Super Telephoto Camera
iPhone 16 Pro Max
The iPhone 16 Pro Max could be the first to feature a super telephoto periscope camera for dramatically increased optical zoom. "Super" or "ultra" telephoto usually describes cameras with a focal length of over 300mm. The current telephoto lens is equivalent to a 77mm lens, so if accurate, there could be a notable increase in zoom capabilities. Super telephoto cameras are often used for sports and wild animal photography, but the extremely soft backgrounds they create also make them useful for portrait photography, providing there is enough distance between the subject and the photographer.

6. Faster Wi-Fi Support
Wi-Fi 6E & Wi-Fi 7
Apple's 2024 iPhone Pro models are expected to get Wi-Fi 7 in the Pro models, enabling data transfer over the 2.4GHz, 5GHz, and 6GHz bands simultaneously. This should result in faster Wi-Fi speeds, lower latency, and more reliable connectivity. With technologies such as 4K QAM, Wi-Fi 7 is also expected to offer peak data transfer speeds of over 40 Gbps, a 4× increase over Wi-Fi 6E. Meanwhile, the iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Plus is... Click here to read rest of article

Article Link: Every iPhone 16 Rumor We've Covered So Far
All looks promising. But, Apple please don't increase the price again. By comparing with Samsung. They are scrapy not as good as iPhone and they give lot of offers to attractthe market. We don't need to do that.
Because Apple is apple who takes money what they provide.

unkl bob

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2021
The camera alone is enough to get excited. The photos we take are used to hold memories of moments forever. I want the best possible quality for that.
iPhone 12PM here. I'm looking at four things; type C connections, Camera, Improved Siri (w/ AI??), at 80 yo, prolly my last iPhone, with even smaller upgrades in 2025, so... unkl bob

unkl bob

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2021
Agree with all four points, but... (there's always a but...) for me #1 could be solved with a case that had a corresponding bump on the other top corner so I don't have to put a penny under it to use the calculator. And #4. Siri is rumored to connect with the AI system, and that would be a WOW !

Lorenzonio

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2020
The notch and the "dynamic island" needs to go away. These are not Apple aesthetics, they are hamhanded kluges and disrupt the otherwise beautiful screen.

Best as always,
Loren

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.