Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
But that's the smartphone industry in general... it's all incremental upgrades. At least this year, Galaxy Fold users can actually see some design changes compared from the Fold 4 to Fold 5.

And what do you suggest they do? I wouldn't mind them adopting the Pixel Fold passport style design, but I can understand why they don't (most apps are optimized for portrait orientation).

I agree with you on passport style as I think bc of the apps compatibility and most likely why Pixel 2 rumors point to abandoning this form factor … think much lighter phone and wider would be on my list of wants for the Fold 6 along with improved inner screen with less glare and crease …

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Samsung is reportedly trying to split up its Z Fold lineup by introducing an Ultra model just like in its Galaxy S-series. The new rumor suggests we’ll see a regular Galaxy Z Fold6 bearing the internal codename Q6 and a more capable Galaxy Z Fold6 Ultra with the Q6A codename.

The exact differences between the two Z Fold6 models are still up for debate but the new report points to more capable cameras on the Ultra with a rumored 200MP ISOCELL HP2 main shooter just like on the S24 Ultra.

The Z Fold6 Ultra is also said to offer optional stylus support, higher memory and storage configurations and larger cover and main displays. Samsung could also offer an updated hinge design with less noticeable display crease on the Z Fold6 Ultra.

Bkdodger

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2019
Samsung is reportedly trying to split up its Z Fold lineup by introducing an Ultra model just like in its Galaxy S-series. The new rumor suggests we’ll see a regular Galaxy Z Fold6 bearing the internal codename Q6 and a more capable Galaxy Z Fold6 Ultra with the Q6A codename.

The exact differences between the two Z Fold6 models are still up for debate but the new report points to more capable cameras on the Ultra with a rumored 200MP ISOCELL HP2 main shooter just like on the S24 Ultra.

The Z Fold6 Ultra is also said to offer optional stylus support, higher memory and storage configurations and larger cover and main displays. Samsung could also offer an updated hinge design with less noticeable display crease on the Z Fold6 Ultra.

I can see them splitting it up, but I feel like the so-called new Ultra will be the regular fold upgrade and then a cheaper fold like a FE phone so that the price will be lowered and get more people onboard ..it is time for better cameras on foldables so hopefully

Reactions: Neofox

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
The render leaks are actually very similar in size than the fold 5 (like what, same thickness, 1mm less tall and 2mm less wide when open?)

Check the last page of this discussion I posted the render
Yeah it's not much but the front screen looks so much better for some reason. I like the way it looks compared to the 5.

Neofox

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2024
I can see them splitting it up, but I feel like the so-called new Ultra will be the regular fold upgrade and then a cheaper fold like a FE phone so that the price will be lowered and get more people onboard ..it is time for better cameras on foldables so hopefully
I agree if they split the fold it’s to make a cheaper one to make more people buy the fold and so instead of having a Fold6 and Fold6 Ultra it's probably gonna be Fold6 and Fold FE

the Fold is already very big and expensive and that a big factor for people to not buy it. I think the majority actually wants a slimer and cheaper design, not a bulkier and more expensive one

Reactions: Bkdodger

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
It’s a toss up between the silver or dark blue on the Fold 6.

Leaning toward the silver, surprised there is no black version… I suspect this blue might appeal to those who want a black Fold.
Silver

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Am sure the pricier option will be available for you
And the crazy part about it... it won't be enough. Not directing it to @rhinosrcool, but in general.

Because some Fold users want Ultra camera setup as well. And it doesn't seem as if Samsung will adding to that to the Fold 6.

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
And the crazy part about it... it won't be enough. Not directing it to @rhinosrcool, but in general.

Because some Fold users want Ultra camera setup as well. And it doesn't seem as if Samsung will adding to that to the Fold 6.
Yeah, Samsung needs to up their foldable game. Maybe, I'll just keep my Fold 5?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Ah well for me buying a phone is never really about solely the camera but overall experience

It is not like I am working for National Geographic where I need to be ready to take razor sharp photos always

Reactions: Ludatyk

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
Yeah, Samsung needs to up their foldable game. Maybe, I'll just keep my Fold 5?
At this point in the smartphone industry… foldables are included, it’s all about iterative updates. I highly doubt we are going to get any huge updates going forward.

And when we ask for those Ultra cameras.. very few will be willing to buy it at that price, that’s why Samsung refuses to do it (imo).

Ah well for me buying a phone is never really about solely the camera but overall experience

It is not like I am working for National Geographic where I need to be ready to take razor sharp photos always
Yeah, that’s why I don’t really take part in the camera debate... for one, it’s subjective and the other point.. the differences are miniscule.

As long as I’m not dealing with pixelation issues like blurriness or fuzziness, I’m good.

Reactions: Tulani

rhinosrcool

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
MN
At this point in the smartphone industry… foldables are included, it’s all about iterative updates. I highly doubt we are going to get any huge updates going forward.

And when we ask for those Ultra cameras.. very few will be willing to buy it at that price, that’s why Samsung refuses to do it (imo).
Yeah, and that's why I'm not upgrading.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
How's the experience with it thus far?

I'm coming from the 4, perhaps... I'll have that same mindset if I had the 5.

Like that we can now have a slide over option one plus open on android 14 like Samsung have had for years.

Useful certainly on the bigger screen

1fd8a66028ad242c9a578777b92aabb7.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.