Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavisCashton

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 28, 2017
Does anyone out there have iPhone X or 10? How do you like it? Can you tell me a little about it and what you think about vs the iPhone 8 Plus. Does it have extra features that the 8 does not. It’s on back order but I already have the 4.7 iPhone 8 so I thought I would go ahead and place my exchange for the X. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way I was a member at iMore forums and I had an horrible experience over there especially with the mods. They would delete posts and made it to be a horrible experience there. I highly recommend staying away from the iMore forums. I joined up here instead in hopes this would be a better community of people. I refuse to ever go back over there especially with the mods there. I posted a normal thread like this and a mod said I was trolling. How remotely would this post appear in any way to be that of a trolling post and furthermore I’ve never done that before in all my forum life and really am not even sure what constitutes a troll post. Anyways any feedback about the X model would be appreciated

PPP

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Nobody has an iPhone 10 mate, only in pronunciation.

I love mine, it's fast, smooth, intuitive, incredible battery, amazing camera, and looks the business. I have stayed away from the plus phones because they are way too big for my tastes. The X hits the sweet spot for me, being only a tad wider than the regular phone with more vertical screen estate, which is great for me as that's largely how I use my phone with the exception of taking photos.

I can see why a post like this would get classed as trolling. There are countless posts discussing the pros and cons of the X, and so you could easily have done your research beforehand. All things like this do is serve as places for people to quote their opinion one way or the other and start another "mine's better than yours" thread.

Expect a lock.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Battery: X has a larger battery than a 8+ yet the battery doesn't last as long even though it supposedly has a more efficient screen. Multiple tests done on websites and user submitted battery stat screenshots show this. X= 7-8 hours use, any Plus model is 10-12+ hours.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/Ks1FqvpsRPafKbjyba4ICA.png

Screen: The screen, while looking good at the perfect angle, changes colors if you're slightly off axis. My old LCD Plus looks better when side by side just sitting on my desk looking at the same content.

Also about the screen, looking at it for 4 days gave me a 4 day headache. My eyes were hurting and I could not focus. Switched to my Plus, problem is gone.

Screen Size: The screen makes you think that it's bigger, but it's just a trick. There is so much wasted space that in some cases the usable screen area is actually smaller than the 4.7" iPhone 8. Coming from a Plus model, it's a huge downgrade in screen real estate and that's a big sacrifice to make for a phone that doesn't offer anything new or better in comparison to a 8 Plus.

Face ID: "You're holding it wrong" is not an acceptable answer. This is where Apple tried to solve their own problem, rather than thinking about the consumer. They couldn't fit a fingerprint reader anywhere so they added in Face ID. While it did work surprisingly well and I never had a failure that needed my passcode. I felt as though I was trying to work for the phone rather than the phone working for me. I found myself adjusting angles, holding it just right while laying in bed, can't use it on your desk without picking it up... It was not a replacement for Touch ID, which is faster and far more convenient. Then Apple tried to sell it to the brainless with Animoji

UI/UX: The software sucks. Plain and simple. Whoever designed this and thought it was acceptable is an idiot who doesn't know anything about UI or UX. I can go into detail if you like, but just know it's a step backwards and more of a process do to simple things like closing an app or shutting the phone down.

I can probably think of a few more but I think those are the main points that effect most people. The rest is just nitpicking because I expect a fluid and sensible 60 FPS experience and Apple hasn't delivered that since iOS 6... and it's not because of the hardware we have.

I returned mine after 5 days, the 8+ is the best phone out right now.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Battery: X has a larger battery than a 8+ yet the battery doesn't last as long even though it supposedly has a more efficient screen. Multiple tests done on websites and user submitted battery stat screenshots show this. X= 7-8 hours use, any Plus model is 10-12+ hours.

Screen: The screen, while looking good at the perfect angle, changes colors if you're slightly off axis. My old LCD Plus looks better when side by side just sitting on my desk looking at the same content.

Also about the screen, looking at it for 4 days gave me a 4 day headache. My eyes were hurting and I could not focus. Switched to my Plus, problem is gone.

Screen Size: The screen makes you think that it's bigger, but it's just a trick. There is so much wasted space that in some cases the usable screen area is actually smaller than the 4.7" iPhone 8. Coming from a Plus model, it's a huge downgrade in screen real estate and that's a big sacrifice to make for a phone that doesn't offer anything new or better in comparison to a 8 Plus.

Face ID: "You're holding it wrong" is not an acceptable answer. This is where Apple tried to solve their own problem, rather than thinking about the consumer. They couldn't fit a fingerprint reader anywhere so they added in Face ID. While it did work surprisingly well and I never had a failure that needed my passcode. I felt as though I was trying to work for the phone rather than the phone working for me. I found myself adjusting angles, holding it just right while laying in bed, can't use it on your desk without picking it up... It was not a replacement for Touch ID, which is faster and far more convenient. Then Apple tried to sell it to the brainless with Animoji

UI/UX: The software sucks. Plain and simple. Whoever designed this and thought it was acceptable is an idiot who doesn't know anything about UI or UX. I can go into detail if you like, but just know it's a step backwards and more of a process do to simple things like closing an app or shutting the phone down.

I can probably think of a few more but I think those are the main points that effect most people. The rest is just nitpicking because I expect a fluid and sensible 60 FPS experience and Apple hasn't delivered that since iOS 6... and it's not because of the hardware we have.

While your afford to justify your purchase is great and all, it would be nice if you would add to this bold statement "in my opinion"
For me,just by looking at the regular 8 or the plus side by side with the X I can clearly see how dated they look. It's like they are half decade old devices.
But they have one thing going for them. They are not as expensive as the X, which I think is the whole purpose Apple decided to keep that old design with thick bezels for another year.

Last edited:

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
While your afford to justify your purchase is great and all, it would be nice if you would add to this bold statement "in my opinion"
For me,just by looking at the regular 8 or the plus side by side with the X I can clearly see how dated they look. It's like they are half decade old devices.
But they have one thing going for them. They are not as expensive as the X, which I think is the whole purpose Apple decided to keep that old design with thick bezels for another year.
No, but they are very expensive still - and a 256GB plus is approaching the base X. So, it's really not about money, and if it is, you have chosen the wrong brand.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
No, but they are very expensive still - and a 256GB plus is approaching the base X. So, it's really not about money, and if it is, you have chosen the wrong brand.

Didn't say they are cheap. Just cheaper enough to make it easy purchase decision for some people.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
Didn't say they are cheap. Just cheaper enough to make it easy purchase decision for some people.
I didn't say you said they are cheap. Just saying that if you can afford £699 for a phone, it's not a huge leap to £999, and if people do consider it a huge leap, maybe they should look at even cheaper options.

Reactions: BvizioN

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I didn't say you said they are cheap. Just saying that if you can afford £699 for a phone, it's not a huge leap to £999, and if people do consider it a huge leap, maybe they should look at even cheaper options.

Yeah, I agree with you on that. Which was the case for me when I went for the iPhone X (before used regular sized iPhone's)

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
iPhone 8 Plus 256GB is $949, which is actually very expensive for an old design and just $50 cheaper than the iPhone X base model.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
I posted a normal thread like this and a mod said I was trolling. How remotely would this post appear in any way to be that of a trolling post and furthermore I’ve never done that before in all my forum life and really am not even sure what constitutes a troll post.

Perhaps instead of posting, you should have spent your time searching and reading the hundreds of postings on the exact topic. You would already have found what you are looking for.

Gryzor

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2010
iPhone 8 Plus 256GB is $949, which is actually very expensive for an old design and just $50 cheaper than the iPhone X base model.
Which is exactly my point if you read back over my posts.
[doublepost=1511964593][/doublepost]
Yeah, I agree with you on that. Which was the case for me when I went for the iPhone X (before used regular sized iPhone's)
Same, I had an SE and would have got the 8 but for the X coming out. No point spending £699 on a "new" phone when there is a better one coming out a few weeks later for just £300 more. It's a lot of money in either case.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
How can people say the 8 plus has a better screen then the X? It's physically impossible.
Well said. People can and will justify their 8 plus purchase passionately knowing 8 plus = 7 Plus + minor tweaks.
[doublepost=1511965002][/doublepost]
Well said. iPhone 8+ = 7+ with minor tweaks.

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
Care you elaborate what you mean by old design.

In terms of design, both 8Plus and the X share the same design except for the screen and the shape of the camera arrangement in the back. Did you mean new screen qualifies as a new design, just like folks who have been claiming Samsung S8 is a new design. Aren't you using design and new screen interchangeably?

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Care you elaborate what you mean by old design.

In terms of design, both 8Plus and the X share the same design except for the screen and the shape of the camera arrangement in the back. Did you mean new screen qualifies as a new design, just like folks who have been claiming Samsung S8 is a new design. Aren't you using design and new screen interchangeably?

Use common sense.

Reactions: PanAm-L1011

nostresshere

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2010
Perhaps instead of posting, you should have spent your time searching and reading the hundreds of postings on the exact topic. You would already have found what you are looking for.

EXACTLY.

Why do people post the same question over and over and over and over.

Read just a few of the hundreds of posts with this same question.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Not sure if you are being serious! Pronounced ten, written X, it is the same phone.
You have countless of threads from peoples experience with all iPhone models here.
All in all I love my iPhone X.
Could you guys PLEASE stop getting into the 'nitty gritty' and please just give this guys advise, it think you know exactly what he means!! nerds..
[doublepost=1511972822][/doublepost]

totally disagree with you, completely - I and OP live in darker climates so we don't care that much about 'sun' brightness and the like. I will take my X ANYDAY over the old looking dinosaur 8.
[doublepost=1511972944][/doublepost]
Nobody has an iPhone 10 mate, only in pronunciation.

I love mine, it's fast, smooth, intuitive, incredible battery, amazing camera, and looks the business. I have stayed away from the plus phones because they are way too big for my tastes. The X hits the sweet spot for me, being only a tad wider than the regular phone with more vertical screen estate, which is great for me as that's largely how I use my phone with the exception of taking photos.

I can see why a post like this would get classed as trolling. There are countless posts discussing the pros and cons of the X, and so you could easily have done your research beforehand. All things like this do is serve as places for people to quote their opinion one way or the other and start another "mine's better than yours" thread.

Expect a lock.
yes agree, why post like this are seen as trolling, because someone like you ask for simple input and then the 8 trolls come in because they can't have an X basically and try to make everyone else feel not worth, purely ridiculous. Bullying really... everyone knows, the X is superior, period, period, period. DUH look at the sales lol
[doublepost=1511973006][/doublepost]
How can people say the 8 plus has a better screen then the X? It's physically impossible.
EXACTLY, NO COMPARISON - 8 SCREEN IS LOOKS AND FEELS 10 years old lol
[doublepost=1511973096][/doublepost]
Well said. People can and will justify their 8 plus purchase passionately knowing 8 plus = 7 Plus + minor tweaks.
[doublepost=1511965002][/doublepost]
Well said. iPhone 8+ = 7+ with minor tweaks.
8=7 S (in reality)...
[doublepost=1511973129][/doublepost]
Did you not watch the Keynote?
Not everyone has time to watch the entire keynote lol.. !
[doublepost=1511973159][/doublepost]
Did you not watch the Keynote?
offer helpful advise..... not passive aggressive behavior many thanks!!
[doublepost=1511973804][/doublepost]
Does anyone out there have iPhone X or 10? How do you like it? Can you tell me a little about it and what you think about vs the iPhone 8 Plus. Does it have extra features that the 8 does not. It’s on back order but I already have the 4.7 iPhone 8 so I thought I would go ahead and place my exchange for the X. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way I was a member at iMore forums and I had an horrible experience over there especially with the mods. They would delete posts and made it to be a horrible experience there. I highly recommend staying away from the iMore forums. I joined up here instead in hopes this would be a better community of people. I refuse to ever go back over there especially with the mods there. I posted a normal thread like this and a mod said I was trolling. How remotely would this post appear in any way to be that of a trolling post and furthermore I’ve never done that before in all my forum life and really am not even sure what constitutes a troll post. Anyways any feedback about the X model would be appreciated

PPP
Welcome! yes, you have to watch some of these folks... they can be passive aggressive with very hidden agendas.. kinda ridiculous..... this should be a HELPFUL forum. When I was looking, basically the tone was iPhone X sucks and the only good phone is the 8Plus... its almost as though, you tell them the sky is blue and they tell you its red LOL!
Anyway, onto specifics; having owned the 7 plus and going to the X I could be more happy.
7Plus/8Plus - outdated look, huge bessels, find ID (for me didn't like because my fingers got worn out), very awkward in pocket, just too big. Atleast the note 8 has the physical design right!
iPhone X-new generation, the future of apple, sleek, sexy, professional, super fast, great battery, face ID, OLED screen, pocketable, discrete, perfect size! So much more....

enjoy in your decision making !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.