Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Ppl who got the 8 instead the X try so hard to justify their choice, but the truth is the X makes the 8 look like a turd, especially when comparing them side by side.

Yet they would desperately try to convince you that is a bad choice, making it sound as they are concerned you are "wasting" your money. It is getting ridiculous around here being judged for stuff you buy! I mean how hard is to just spend your money on whatever you like without being judged by ignorants?

Reactions: Grayburn and waquzy

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
"better" is kind of subjective. a person might consider a notch-less screen better than one with a notch.

I do like LCD over Oled aswell, but the X has more ppi and is the latest and greatest. Haven't seen one in hand, but have the Samsung galaxy s8, and the screen blows away my wife's iPhone 7 plus display.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
"better" is kind of subjective. a person might consider a notch-less screen better than one with a notch.

It's not about the notch. Some genially believe that and would try anything to present that to you as a fact. Like the other guy on the previous page.
[doublepost=1512042575][/doublepost]
I do like LCD over Oled aswell, but the X has more ppi and is the latest and greatest. Haven't seen one in hand, but have the Samsung galaxy s8, and the screen blows away my wife's iPhone 7 plus display.

The colours on the Galaxy S8 are more saturated then they are on the iPhone X, but yeah... I do agree that with you. I think it makes the LCD phones look like a decade older if you put them side by side.

Last edited:
Reactions: waquzy

ultravegeta1981

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2017
Turkey
It's not about the notch. Some genially believe that and would try anything to present that to you as a fact. Like the other guy on the previous page.
[doublepost=1512042575][/doublepost]

The colours on the Galaxy S8 are more saturated then they are on the iPhone X, but yeah... I do agree that with you. It makes the LCD phones look like a decade older if you put them side by side.

I put it on the basic screen mode and it's just as true to life as my wife's iphone 7 plus.

Wish Apple would make a 2k LCD panel in the X tho.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Care you elaborate what you mean by old design.

In terms of design, both 8Plus and the X share the same design except for the screen and the shape of the camera arrangement in the back. Did you mean new screen qualifies as a new design, just like folks who have been claiming Samsung S8 is a new design. Aren't you using design and new screen interchangeably?

current-iphones-comparison-29.jpg

One of them looks different than the rest. That's 6S/Plus (2015), SE (2016), iPhone 7/Plus (2016), iPhone 8/Plus (2017) and iPhone X (2017).

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
View attachment 739284

One of them looks different than the rest. That's 6S/Plus (2015), SE (2016), iPhone 7/Plus (2016), iPhone 8/Plus (2017) and iPhone X (2017).
All that picture shows is the front face/screen, not the 'design' of phone and my earlier post alluded to it, the poster was conflating design to screen, screen being one aspect of the design, not the whole design. Hence the misuse of the term 'design', to which I responded.
[doublepost=1512055110][/doublepost]
Play a YouTube video without it being cropped or smaller than it should be.
iPhone X screen aspect ratio is 2.17: 1 vs 1.78:1 of 8 Plus, so it's no surprise that it had black bars on the side when the video is shot in 1.78:1 aspect ratio. If your gripe is that the image is smaller, that's limited by the physical size of the screen, that shouldn't be a surprise, 8 Plus screen is bigger than X. The preference of screen size is purely subjective, so let's not try to infer objectivity in that discussion.

The X fails miserably in every single UI/UX category. This is mostly due to poor hardware design.
Here is another perspective, the failure if UI is probably because of a user being used to a particular UI and not being proficient at the new UI, and also lack of apps that make effective use of the new UI.

I would give it time and see if it evolves into a more effective UI over time.

Last edited:

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Really?

Unlock the phone... Gotta look at it and then swipe up, which takes quite a bit longer than just resting your finger on touch ID. Even requires an extra step, of picking up the phone, if the phone is on your desk and the camera can't see you.

Play a YouTube video without it being cropped or smaller than it should be.

Get 12+ hours of screen on usage on the X without cheating by enabling power save mode or by bumping up the numbers by playing audio.

Close an app out of multitasking... Oh wait, one more step for that.

Tell me what percent your battery is at... Yet again, one more step for that.

The list goes on and on with things that the 8+ is better than the X at, but I think you get my point.

The X fails miserably in every single UI/UX category. This is mostly due to poor hardware design. Some of it can be fixed with software changes, but Apple is very stubborn when it comes to changing how things work. (iOS 11 wifi/bluetooth toggles ring a bell???)
Yeah but you don’t have to use Face ID. You can just slide up to unlock.

woodynorman

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Yeah, but iPhone X function the same and even better on my experience. And dare I say I am not the only one? So not quite sure where you getting at...
Also, I personally don't think you can find a case that will hide these hideous bezels or make it any less brick then it is........ can you?

I like my brick phone. Fits my needs perfectly. And fits in my pocket.

Yes the X is a great phone. Too bad the screen sucks or I'd probably still have mine.

zI INFINITY Iz

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2013
I seriously had a laugh reading these 4 pages. I used to be a “internet phone warrior” like some people here, arguing for hours about which phone is better.

Here are my 2 cents.

- Screen is excellent. Displaymate is a highly, highly respected source for screen ratings and what they say simply is true. No need to come at me with pentile, color shift, burn-in arguments. Those are technology (OLED) issues in general, and Apple’s implementation of OLED has been superb. Again, read displaymate. There will always be pics and vids on the internet where it might look bad. In real life, it’s great. Going back to my 6S had me realizing how poor the resolution (text sharpness) and blacks were. Btw, huge lol on they guy saying OLED is just 2% blacker. Really... you slipped up your game there mate.
- Yes, the 8 plus is a 7 plus with extra’s.
- Yes, the X is an 8 with extra’s.
- Yes, the X looks “new” because of the edge to edge OLED, but it’s body is highly similar with exception of stainless steel instead of aluminum.

Both devices are excellent pieces of tech. Both screens look fantastic, with each technology having some unique benefits and weaknesses. Both have an exceptional cameras, CPU, GPU, quality bodies, great speakers, etc. There are valid reasons for choosing each one. Please stop this nonsense arguing.

If I had huge hands I would go for the Plus. I love the manageability of the X size, and I’d much rather have the X then the 8. If anybody needs any explanation why, feel free to ask, but I think it’s understandable for most.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
Screen us what I love most about my iPhone X. Happy days!

I have an 8+ and really like my phone. My coworker got an X. I'm impressed - the phone unlocks super fast, screen looks beautiful (at least indoors), and it seems like a nice phone. I'm still happy with my 8+ and think I prefer it (size, battery life, touch id, etc...) but sure is fun seeing the two side by side. I'm impressed by the X. Next time I upgrade (hopefully 2 years from now) it'll be even better! (It will be).

I've used a 6+, 6s+, and went to an 8+. Looked at the X and although it interested me a lot, I decided to go with what I was familiar with.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Lol! Well pretty guaranteed iPhones going forward will all be OLED....
[doublepost=1512074752][/doublepost]
Lol!

Actually, there is already chatter about a new LCD tech micro LCD apple is developing. Basically a full array LCD, so individually backlit pixels. Out either next year or by 2019. Oled will die a quick death and only suckers will be left holding a bag of blue shifted burned in screens.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Actually, there is already chatter about a new LCD tech micro LCD apple is developing. Basically a full array LCD, so individually backlit pixels. Out either next year or by 2019. Oled will die a quick death and only suckers will be left holding a bag of blue shifted burned in screens.
Haha yeah not. Has Samsung ?!
[doublepost=1512101815][/doublepost]
Screen us what I love most about my iPhone X. Happy days!
Wow just can’t bekieve it lol. I think the X screen is beautiful. Sure you have to adjust it a bit but once you do - stunning !!

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016

Source for the Bolded? OLED will still be very relevant for the next two years with Apple. Micro LED talk has been going on for years, but mass manufacturing is nowhere near ready due to constraints and yields. I'm not sure where you're coming up with 2018 or 2019 for a Micro-LED release, but that's likely not a reality for 2018. And even if Micro-LED were to debut by 2019, the Apple Watch would likely see it first, not the iPhone.

Apple acquired a company back in 2014 known as Luxevue, which was experimenting
With Micro-Led.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/10/26/micro-led-battery-life/

Reactions: BigMcGuire

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Source for the Bolded? OLED will still be very relevant for the next two years with Apple. Micro LED talk has been going on for years, but mass manufacturing is nowhere near ready due to constraints and yields. I'm not sure where you're coming up with 2018 or 2019 for a Micro-LED release, but that's likely not a reality for 2018. And even if Micro-LED were to debut by 2019, the Apple Watch would likely see it first, not the iPhone.

Apple acquired a company back in 2014 known as Luxevue, which was experimenting
With Micro-Led.

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2016/10/26/micro-led-battery-life/

Micro LED was rumored for the watch for this year, so I'm guessing it'll come by next year in either watch form or straight to phone. By 2019 at most. Enjoy your burned in trash.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Micro LED was rumored for the watch for this year, so I'm guessing it'll come by next year in either watch form or straight to phone. By 2019 at most. Enjoy your burned in trash.

So no source then? Got it. Just because you read something thats rumored, doesn't hold any validity behind it. Micro LED is not going to be fully ready for mass production in 2018 and likely 2019. I would suggest that you read the link that I provided you and research Micro-Led, as it's still highly in its infancy with very few manufacturers able to produce in greater numbers. And as far as burn in as you're claiming, I have yet to experience this on the iPhone X or any of my Apple Watches.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
So no source then? Got it. Just because you read something thats rumored, doesn't hold any validity behind it. Micro LED is not going to be fully ready for mass production in 2018 and likely 2019. I would suggest that you read the link that I provided you and research Micro-Led, as it's still highly in its infancy with very few manufacturers able to produce in greater numbers. And as far as burn in as you're claiming, I have yet to experience this on the iPhone X or any of my Apple Watches.

Your speculation is of no more weight than mine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.