Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
While your afford to justify your purchase is great and all, it would be nice if you would add to this bold statement "in my opinion"
For me,just by looking at the regular 8 or the plus side by side with the X I can clearly see how dated they look. It's like they are half decade old devices.
But they have one thing going for them. They are not as expensive as the X, which I think is the whole purpose Apple decided to keep that old design with thick bezels for another year.

Functionality > Design

95% of people put a case on their phone. I don't care if it has pink and orange unicorn poop smeared all over it as the color scheme.
[doublepost=1511983681][/doublepost]
totally disagree with you, completely - I and OP live in darker climates so we don't care that much about 'sun' brightness and the like. I will take my X ANYDAY over the old looking dinosaur 8.

As I said just above this, functionality > design.

Also, where did I say anything about the sun?

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/exchanging-my-8-plus-for-a-10-or-a-x.2091829/#post-25531027

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
Battery: X has a larger battery than a 8+ yet the battery doesn't last as long even though it supposedly has a more efficient screen. Multiple tests done on websites and user submitted battery stat screenshots show this. X= 7-8 hours use, any Plus model is 10-12+ hours.

https://image.prntscr.com/image/Ks1FqvpsRPafKbjyba4ICA.png

Screen: The screen, while looking good at the perfect angle, changes colors if you're slightly off axis. My old LCD Plus looks better when side by side just sitting on my desk looking at the same content.

Also about the screen, looking at it for 4 days gave me a 4 day headache. My eyes were hurting and I could not focus. Switched to my Plus, problem is gone.

Screen Size: The screen makes you think that it's bigger, but it's just a trick. There is so much wasted space that in some cases the usable screen area is actually smaller than the 4.7" iPhone 8. Coming from a Plus model, it's a huge downgrade in screen real estate and that's a big sacrifice to make for a phone that doesn't offer anything new or better in comparison to a 8 Plus.

Face ID: "You're holding it wrong" is not an acceptable answer. This is where Apple tried to solve their own problem, rather than thinking about the consumer. They couldn't fit a fingerprint reader anywhere so they added in Face ID. While it did work surprisingly well and I never had a failure that needed my passcode. I felt as though I was trying to work for the phone rather than the phone working for me. I found myself adjusting angles, holding it just right while laying in bed, can't use it on your desk without picking it up... It was not a replacement for Touch ID, which is faster and far more convenient. Then Apple tried to sell it to the brainless with Animoji

UI/UX: The software sucks. Plain and simple. Whoever designed this and thought it was acceptable is an idiot who doesn't know anything about UI or UX. I can go into detail if you like, but just know it's a step backwards and more of a process do to simple things like closing an app or shutting the phone down.

I can probably think of a few more but I think those are the main points that effect most people. The rest is just nitpicking because I expect a fluid and sensible 60 FPS experience and Apple hasn't delivered that since iOS 6... and it's not because of the hardware we have.

I returned mine after 5 days, the 8+ is the best phone out right now.
Look carefully on the iPhone 8 +. It is iPhone 7 Plus + minor tweaks. No major technology changes. You paid only for the minor tweaks without any major functionality or technology changes. The bezels are 4 years old. Justify as much as you can for your iPhone 8 Plus, the iPhone X is the best iPhone in the iPhone history. Admit it or not. It is what it is.

Reactions: PanAm-L1011

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Look carefully on the iPhone 8 +. It is iPhone 7 Plus + minor tweaks. No major technology changes. You paid only for the minor tweaks without any major functionality or technology changes. The bezels are 4 years old. Justify as much as you can for your iPhone 8 Plus, the iPhone X is the best iPhone in the iPhone history. Admit it or not. It is what it is.

What does the X do better than a 8+? Notice I said better, not differently.

democracyrules

Suspended
Nov 18, 2016
What does the X do better than a 8+? Notice I said better, not differently.
iPhone 8 and 8 plus are the second class in the iPhone line, while the iPhone X is the first class, the flagship iPhone and the one with all bells and whistles. iPhone 8 and 8 plus are recognized and seen as iPhone 7 and 7 plus as nobody can see the difference between the 8 and 7. Enjoy the 7s :) oops iPhone 8 Plus with minor tweaks from iPhone 7: glass back, some camera feature change, true Tone and wireless charging, which are no biggie.
[doublepost=1511986754][/doublepost]
Mine fits fine in my pocket. Guess that comes down to how smashed you want your balls.
Indeed, it is a juvenile comment.

jimmy_uk

macrumors 68020
Oct 19, 2015
UK
Well said. People can and will justify their 8 plus purchase passionately knowing 8 plus = 7 Plus + minor tweaks.
[doublepost=1511965002][/doublepost]
Well said. iPhone 8+ = 7+ with minor tweaks.
Groan....

You could say iPhone x = iPhone 8 with oled and face ID.

Just let people be happy with their choices.
[doublepost=1511988746][/doublepost]
iPhone 8 and 8 plus are the second class in the iPhone line, while the iPhone X is the first class, the flagship iPhone and the one with all bells and whistles. iPhone 8 and 8 plus are recognized and seen as iPhone 7 and 7 plus as nobody can see the difference between the 8 and 7. Enjoy the 7s :) oops iPhone 8 Plus with minor tweaks from iPhone 7: glass back, some camera feature change, true Tone and wireless charging, which are no biggie.
We can all play this game. iphone x with same internals as 8 but with Oled and face ID = no biggie.

Act3

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2014
USA
Enjoy the 7s :) oops iPhone 8 Plus with minor tweaks from iPhone 7: glass back, some camera feature change, true Tone and wireless charging, which are no biggie.

no biggie but also selling points for the X

the X has those same changes as well but with a new OLED screen, face id and OIS differences on the camera. Same processor, same amount of ram, same iOS

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014

You still didn't tell me what the X does better though. You just said it's better because it's different.

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
Had the X and went to the 8+/ 8+ is without question the better phone. Too many compromises with the X. he fanboys will defend cause they want to believe the extra they paid was worth it, but it just wasn't. From poor UI to reviving 20 year old problems like burn in and color shifting, the X is a giant step back in actual, real usability. And the screen is trash pentile.

Reactions: mazdamiata210

Knockoutjosie

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2012
Does anyone out there have iPhone X or 10? How do you like it? Can you tell me a little about it and what you think about vs the iPhone 8 Plus. Does it have extra features that the 8 does not. It’s on back order but I already have the 4.7 iPhone 8 so I thought I would go ahead and place my exchange for the X. Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated. By the way I was a member at iMore forums and I had an horrible experience over there especially with the mods. They would delete posts and made it to be a horrible experience there. I highly recommend staying away from the iMore forums. I joined up here instead in hopes this would be a better community of people. I refuse to ever go back over there especially with the mods there. I posted a normal thread like this and a mod said I was trolling. How remotely would this post appear in any way to be that of a trolling post and furthermore I’ve never done that before in all my forum life and really am not even sure what constitutes a troll post. Anyways any feedback about the X model would be appreciated

PPP
There’s a reason you are banned there and suspended here

kre62

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
I think the 8 plus has a better screen than the X. Its possible.

Also agree. The Pentile flicking trash on the X is a huge downgrade. My 8+ LCD is amazing, vivid, no color shift, and I can run 100% brightness without burnin. It really is the best screen in an Apple phone. I'll give up 2% inkier blacks for a phone that doesnt ghost, burnin, or color shift, all problems we solved 20 years ago.

Would you buy a car that goes 5mph faster, but has a carburator vs fuel injection? Thats the OLED screen on the X. Compromises galore.

PanAm-L1011

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2010
Republic of California
Had the X and went to the 8+/ 8+ is without question the better phone. Too many compromises with the X. he fanboys will defend cause they want to believe the extra they paid was worth it, but it just wasn't. From poor UI to reviving 20 year old problems like burn in and color shifting, the X is a giant step back in actual, real usability. And the screen is trash pentile.

Just because I think the 8 line up looks old and archaic compared to the X doesn’t make me a fanboy. It’s just my opinion I didn’t want the fourth cycle of the same freaking phone. I wanted something different.

I LOVE Face ID. It works almost 100 percent of the time. I forget it’s even there, except in the instances where it doesn’t work, because it’s so fast when it does. It works much faster and much more often than Touch ID ever did for me. I also love the almost edge to edge display, and the lack of the home button.

If you’re happy with your choice, great, but don’t insult others for their choices.

kp98077

macrumors 601
Oct 26, 2010
Please... you will totally get he x plus when it comes out and you know it! NOW thats a fanBoY!

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
Screen is way nicer. Does the Animoji which I don’t use. Just looks a lot better IMO and you get an oled screen vs lcd.

LCD's RGB stripe is better than OLED's diamond matrix pentile. Besides all the other issues that come with OLED like burn in and color shifting. LCD is vastly superior to OLED in almost every aspect besides black levels.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
LCD's RGB stripe is better than OLED's diamond matrix pentile. Besides all the other issues that come with OLED like burn in and color shifting. LCD is vastly superior to OLED in almost every aspect besides black levels.
I like oled better that’s just my opinion tho.

mazdamiata210

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2014
I like oled better that’s just my opinion tho.

F-VRSkQkTuyR7JW-zEe4_Q.png

Guess I expect perfection from a $1,000+ phone.

New ≠ better.

Reactions: narr
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.