Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Burger Thing

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2009
Around the World
Wow, color me impressed. That front panel is fantastic. It is great to see how much progress has been made. The quality of the materials used truly sets the iPhone apart from its competition, it seems.

In comparison, I scratched the front panel of my LG G2 within the first week and the panel shattered a bit, when I dropped it while launching a kite with the kids :p

Well done, :apple:

SMIDG3T

Suspended
Apr 29, 2012
England
Yes!

After a few rumours that the 4.7-inch iPhone 6 would NOT get a sapphire display, it seems now that there are more reliable rumours stating that it WILL have a sapphire screen!

Cannot wait!

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Must... use... Gorilla... Glass

That display can't be made of sapphire. Corning's CEO said that such a thing wasn't feasible and even if it was, Apple wouldn't be able to do it. Corning's CEO said the only useful display material was Gorilla Glass and any company that used any other display material would be in for a bag of hurt. So, there. :D

/s

davis9981

macrumors newbie
Aug 5, 2013
Yessssss!

I have a sapphire screen from xgear live for my 5s and I've had it for 6 months and I can say now say I can not be anymore excited to get the iphone 6 with a piece of sapphire on it.

I'm in construction and I Expose my screen and phone to some brutal beatings. I even showed the guys at work and rubbed it hard against a brick wall. Till this day there's not one scratch at all and I don't need those crappy screen protectors at all.

Happy days for apple bringing this tech first #

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Nicholas_Cage_Rageface.png

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
The production process is probably pretty much public domain (although the glass processing might be quite well protected). In addition Apple purchased the machinery and process from a third party, which Samsung could also do. The entry barrier here is most likely the enormous capital investment necessary to build a factory to support the production quantities that would be necessary.

Moreover Samsung has never spent much thought on the quality of their materials. Most of their products are cheap plastic bodies with very good LCD screens. They might be quite happy with their current "glass" supplier.

The production of Saphire is publuc domain (mostly) but the post processing might be very new. This covers laminates, bonding, etching and others things. The second processes might (we know some are) be heavily patented.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
When Tim stands on stage in September and says "This is only something that Apple can do" he will be 100% correct. Nobody else has the supply chain, engineers and cash to pour into making this new material feasible in large phone displays. The fact that they decided to build this new material in factories at home is even better, and hopefully another indication of their future plans—even if they're mostly using robots. I can't wait for the iPad and rMBP to be updated with these new materials. Hopefully they can be made that large!

NoNothing

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2003
Those are dumb scratch tests. Well, possibly that knife had a very sharp tip. Rub that thing on your driveway or something. Where IS the scratch threshold?

Exactly. Use sand paper for the test. That is GG's worst night mare and it covers all those little pieces of dust in your pocket.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
:D hilarious :D some expert they are , how do they remember to breath hahahahahahaha :D

just looking from the video, i would say he is an expert. im sure way better than most people here.:rolleyes:

----------

Exactly. Use sand paper for the test. That is GG's worst night mare and it covers all those little pieces of dust in your pocket.

i recommend some HF acid :p
i wonder how many ppl carry sand papers AND an iphone in their pocket :D

p.s. many carbides, used in sandpapers will scratch sapphire, just because those carbides are, 'by the laws of physics' able to scratch sapphire.

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
I think Samsung is easily able to produce and sell (combined) 70 million cellphones, gear fits and other hardware in the next 5 years. I'm not saying that they should and would, but I think Samsung is one of the very few manufacturers that could probably justify such an investment for their own products.

you're not privy to the breakdown of samsung mobile sales. their flagships aren't the hot seller worldwide, it's their backlog of cheaper phones from around 2008 that the world is gobbling up. and they aren't upgrading because they can't afford it. when you saturate the market meant for cheaper devices, you're cannibalizing your own future sales.
hell, verizon offered the S5 for FREE one week after release. samsung would take way too long to recoup and investment like the R&D into saphire glass and successful flagship launches using it. they aren't a company known for their R&D anyway, they rely heavily on their competition for that.

Last edited:

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
A fine example of real innovation. This used to be a very expensive material used only in premium products or in very small components. By single handedly building production capacity for sapphire, Apple has enabled this premium raw material to become a cost effective and most likely superior alternative to Gorilla Glass.

Well done.

Every competitor will be making the jump to sapphire thanks to Apple.

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Maybe Apple will just continue to make them longer. Before we know it, people will be walking around with a back rest sticking out of their back pockets. Let's see some more width there Apple....

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Every competitor will be making the jump to sapphire thanks to Apple.

Probably not if it's Apple's patent or methods for post-production processes which makes it so strong.

And if people think Corning is just satisfied with Gorilla Glass 3, then you're mistaken. There's more than one way to get similar results.

Mildredop

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2013
If this is genuine, I'd love to know the process of how this guy got the glass.

If Apple make it, it could only come from Apple so it's either a controlled leak (which personally I don't think is something that happens) or it's stolen (in which case this guy's very brave broadcasting himself with it).

Or, it's not genuine and it's just gorilla glass, maybe gorilla glass 4. Or plastic (which is what it looks like to me. Especially the way it stays slightly warped after he's bent it under his foot).

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Now it makes sense why the screen protectors sold in Apple stores raised their prices months ago.

Screen protectors by Belkin and Power Support used to be $14.95 and now they come out to about $19.50 with tax.

Tech 21 also sells screen protectors now for a whopping $35.

Once they heard Apple would be using Sapphire they made their move.

lightz39

macrumors regular
Nov 30, 2012
I really wish they would gtfo with the 5.5" brick. I'll warn you right now. You look like a douche holding that thing by your face.

4.7" for me, which sucks...because I like having the "best".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.