Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigpics

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2002
Rockland County, New York
Seems to cover some dimensions of durability with good (or better) clarity (altho its resistance to what a commenter called "the sandpaper in everyone's pockets" wasn't tested).

However, what I didn't see any comments on was another rumor that it would have greatly lessened reflectivity - making it more useful in sunlight conditions - and clearly (no pun intended), even the fluorescent fixtures in the video were interfering with the "view through" the material.

Have to wait for another magical revolution for that I guess.

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
That Spyderco probably quite hard, certainly harder than a brass key, how would it cope with sandpaper or wet and dry?

This is my question. Resisting scratching by steel isn't a big feat for even glass (which is way harder than steel). Now resisting chipping/crushing is pretty damn neat but it's sand and grit that tend to actually scratch the current generation of glass screens. Or those damn granite countertops :mad: I'd love to see someone take some sandpaper to the screen. If it can hold up to that then I'm sold (like I'm not getting the iPhone 6 anyway :p )

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
How often would users who want a 5.5" phone hold it to their face?

One of my friends has a Sony phablet with a huge screen and he rarely makes calls on it. For him, what matters is document editing, web browsing and video watching.

I never even use my 4" 5S as an actual phone. No phone calls for me. If you can't text it, I don't need to know it. ;)

TWSS37

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
Or even just the Apple headphones included with the phone?

The whole "you look stupid with a <random device size> to your head" is about a tired of an opinion there is.

Trust me, there's about a million other ways to look foolish in public that has nothing to do with your device size.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
I really wish they would gtfo with the 5.5" brick. I'll warn you right now. You look like a douche holding that thing by your face.

Enter, iWatch. Keep your 5.5" iPhone/iPad mini/iPad Air in your pocket, purse, backpack. iWatch will handle all calls/mail/messages/communication via voice.
Regardless... Whether holding a 5.5" device up to your head or talking into your wrist, it's important to understand someone out there thinks your a douche. ;)

kdarling

macrumors P6
Quick question, what are most smart phones now using, besides gorilla glass?

Besides Gorilla Glass by Corning, some other major tough device glasses are Dragontrail, manufactured by Asahi Glass Co, and Xensation Cover by Schott.

The latter are claimed by their makers to be even tougher than GG.

--

As an aside, I think a lot of people are excited more by the word "sapphire" than by its actual characteristics. It's like "liquid metal", which gets more attention than it would if it were called "pewter glass" or "plastic-like molding metal".

So I think Corning should come out with a new version of GG called something like "Diamond Slice", and reap the PR win ;)

Last edited:

Amplelink

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2012
Was GG really that far off in terms of durability though? I have no doubt that Apple will market the hell out of this, if it indeed is sapphire crystal. But, I wonder if it's really that big of an improvement over GG as a practical matter.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
Looks like we will be able to say goodbye to those protective cases and screens, especially the expensive ones. :D

mainstreetmark

macrumors 68020
May 7, 2003
Saint Augustine, FL
just looking from the video, i would say he is an expert. im sure way better than most people here.:rolleyes:

----------

i recommend some HF acid :p
i wonder how many ppl carry sand papers AND an iphone in their pocket :D

p.s. many carbides, used in sandpapers will scratch sapphire, just because those carbides are, 'by the laws of physics' able to scratch sapphire.

Sure, but keys, being smooth, rounded metal things (up close), aren't a very compelling test. My keys are unable to scratch my iphone 5, like that (i just tried). No, the scratches come from a variety of sources, usually by accidentally sliding it along a grainy surface, face down, with some sort of force. Put it on your garage floor, and kick it like a puck, as if it had fallen out of your pocket, while reaching for groceries.

tuyylihk

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Really cool video, but I don't understand a word he is saying..
Well I don't think you need... Just watch the screen.

Oh well, may be the last one should explain.
That is a 1.6 tons SUV.
Even if the screen not broken, I don't think you expect other parts of phone can get no damage with such this case. Huh?

sebastian...

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2011
Past rumors have suggested that Apple will be using a sapphire display in the iPhone 6, but other reports have claimed that the more durable material could be exclusive to the larger 5.5-inch iPhone 6 due to supply constraints.

I don't get it. Why would be the sapphire glass exclusive to the 5.5 model ?
Is there a study confirming the richer folk are more interested in the 5.5 model ? because from my experience is quite the opposite.

RedBear

macrumors member
May 9, 2007
I really wish they would gtfo with the 5.5" brick. I'll warn you right now. You look like a douche holding that thing by your face.

4.7" for me, which sucks...because I like having the "best".

You know what, I'm going to make sure I get a 5.5, in gold no less, if for no other reason than just to piss off people like you. A douche is someone who thinks they have a right to tell other people how to live their lives, how to dress or what kind of phone to use.

You'll soon be surrounded by millions of people with 5.5" iPhones. Get over yourself or you'll have an aneurysm.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
Enter, iWatch. Keep your 5.5" iPhone/iPad mini/iPad Air in your pocket, purse, backpack. iWatch will handle all calls/mail/messages/communication via voice.

Yes, because holding your watch to your ear for phone calls is not looking stupid at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.