Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
Almost everyone carries sand and paper in their pockets. Most scratches on GG come, not from keys and metal, but the hard quartz of tine dust and dirt particles in their pockets.

Now that you have learned something new today, you can again shut off your brain:-D

sandpapers are NOT sand and paper. please reboot. u r running windows
:p

Cyborg21

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2013
So sapphire crystal display is flexible, incredibly scratch resistant, shatter resistant, it's not blurry and it's very thin. Wow, it seems like an a lot better material.

taelan28

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2014
This sapphire crystal thing has to be half a marketing ploy. Only Apple could get away with such a costly component and have it be a profitable splash. Ironically I also would believe apple would have been the first to quash such a pricey component and an OEM would pick it up as a gimmick.

I've read the statement by Corning and it wasn't just corporate hot air which I've read over the years. It was straight up "this stuff is better in a couple ways but is 10 times more costly to manufacture and requires 3 times the energy" or something like that. Corning flipped it around and asked if a product came out that was 10 times cheaper, needed a third the energy but wasn't quite as strong then we'd be in trouble, well we're already here and its Sapphire that's in trouble." I'm paraphrasing and those numbers are likely wrong, but its convinced me, sapphire is overrated.

MrX8503

macrumors 68020
Sep 19, 2010
This sapphire crystal thing has to be half a marketing ploy. Only Apple could get away with such a costly component and have it be a profitable splash.

So it's a marketing ploy because Apple is able to bring a costly component to the masses? Most people would call that innovation, not marketing.

I've read the statement by Corning and it wasn't just corporate hot air which I've read over the years. It was straight up "this stuff is better in a couple ways but is 10 times more costly to manufacture and requires 3 times the energy" or something like that. Corning flipped it around and asked if a product came out that was 10 times cheaper, needed a third the energy but wasn't quite as strong then we'd be in trouble, well we're already here and its Sapphire that's in trouble." I'm paraphrasing and those numbers are likely wrong, but its convinced me, sapphire is overrated.

Corning has no earthly idea how much sapphire is costing Apple. The figure "10 times" more expensive is based on today's cost and manufacturing of sapphire. The statement by Corning is exactly just that, hot air.

Tumbleweed666

macrumors 68000
Mar 20, 2009
Near London, UK.
This sapphire crystal thing has to be half a marketing ploy. Only Apple could get away with such a costly component and have it be a profitable splash. Ironically I also would believe apple would have been the first to quash such a pricey component and an OEM would pick it up as a gimmick.

So if half a BILLION dollars is "half a marketing ploy", they could probably have had some pretty neat ads done for quarter of a billion dollars dont ya think? And what do you think the other quarter of a billion is for?

ksuyen

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012

Um no. Get schooled by some info before this nonsense.

zipa

macrumors 65816
Feb 19, 2010
There's this amazing invention called "speaker phone." Google it.

Now that's handy, if you want everyone within 50 feet or so listening in to your conversation and/or annoying the crap out of them with your piss-poor manners.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Now that's handy, if you want everyone within 50 feet or so listening in to your conversation and/or annoying the crap out of them with your piss-poor manners.

Touché. ;)

As one who rarely talks on a phone, and definitely not in a public setting, I missed that consideration in my retort. Alas...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.