Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I have a 1TB in the new mini, (which just this second arrived), but I always run Windows on a separate drive. In the cMP this is of course not a problem, but with the mini I can pop it in here?

I’ve read there can be some issues with running Windows from an external drive. Boot camp asks you to remove any external drives before installing Windows.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I’ve read there can be some issues with running Windows from an external drive. Boot camp asks you to remove any external drives before installing Windows.
I had a few Windows issues over the years but with the Mac Pro, I just installed straight to the SSD without using Bootcamp, (I did go back and get the drivers afterward). Am hoping to be able to just pop it into the eGPU chassis, (onto what is technically the PCI bus), and have it boot using the option key method.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I had a few Windows issues over the years but with the Mac Pro, I just installed straight to the SSD without using Bootcamp, (I did go back and get the drivers afterward). Am hoping to be able to just pop it into the eGPU chassis, (onto what is technically the PCI bus), and have it boot using the option key method.

I would do a little reading to be sure. The Mac mini has a T2 chip.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
I would do a little reading to be sure. The Mac mini has a T2 chip.
It does, but I thought you could configure it so that you can pretty much boot from wherever you like, as per this page?
I do realise it may still not work though.

padams35

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2016
Anybody have any recommendations for a box that can fit two cards?
Full length. One will be for a GPU and the other for probably a card to mount an SSD.

Thanks.

The Mantiz Venus is a popular 1-cable eGPU+Hub combo with additional I/O ports and space for both a full length card and a 2.5" SATA SSD. However since everything shares the same thunderbolt cable GPU performance is somewhat reduced. If performance is more important than convenience you will do better to keep the SSD and eGPU as separate devices.

I am not aware of any eGPU enclosures that can fit dual full length PCIe cards. AKiTiO makes a Node Duo, but that only fits cards 8.5" and shorter plus requires upgrading the PSU if any cards need a power connector.

H2SO4

macrumors 603
Nov 4, 2008
The Mantiz Venus is a popular 1-cable eGPU+Hub combo with additional I/O ports and space for both a full length card and a 2.5" SATA SSD. However since everything shares the same thunderbolt cable GPU performance is somewhat reduced. If performance is more important than convenience you will do better to keep the SSD and eGPU as separate devices.

I am not aware of any eGPU enclosures that can fit dual full length PCIe cards. AKiTiO makes a Node Duo, but that only fits cards 8.5" and shorter plus requires upgrading the PSU if any cards need a power connector.
Thanks. Will have a look see.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
are there any cards with usb-c outs?

No but you can use a cable from Huawei to connect display port + USB to a 4K Ultrafine. My cable is on the way from China as we speak.

Reactions: Ploki

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006
No but you can use a cable from Huawei to connect display port + USB to a 4K Ultrafine. My cable is on the way from China as we speak.

What about the 5K Ultrafine? I guess the "Apple" eGPU is the only one the supports it right?

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
What about the 5K Ultrafine? I guess the "Apple" eGPU is the only one the supports it right?

I remember reading about hat, apparently there's a utility card that can merge two display port inputs into a thunderbolt 3 alt mode usb-c connection, if i recall correctly.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
I remember reading about hat, apparently there's a utility card that can merge two display port inputs into a thunderbolt 3 alt mode usb-c connection, if i recall correctly.

This. There’s some people doing that in eGPU.io forum.

The 5K can’t be driven by USB-C so it isn’t compatible with the Huawei cable.

Reactions: Ploki

Coyote2006

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2006

I just wonder how this will be solved in the new MacPro. I mean we can probably only use the Apple GPUs to run the 5K/6K monitors and no other GPUs. Or is it possible to connect the GPUs internally to an TB3 output out of the box?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Same here! Now waiting for that AMDRadeonX6000.kext to show up in macOS...

5700 XT eGPU running now in macOS ?

Just need my Huawei VR cable to drive my monitor properly, using it currently via passthrough which does give performance boosts just not as much as directly connecting to the monitor.

Screenshot 2019-10-30 at 11.02.41.png

Reactions: hagjohn

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK

Score won't be any use until I'm connected directly to the monitor, it's using passthrough mode currently.

Monitor -> Mac -> eGPU

instead of

Monitor -> eGPU -> Mac

Actually just plugged in a different monitor directly to the eGPU and got an even lower score. How strange.

Wonder if it's because I am running the silent VBIOS.

Last edited:

hagjohn

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2006
Pennsylvania

Score won't be any use until I'm connected directly to the monitor, it's using passthrough mode currently.

Monitor -> Mac -> eGPU

instead of

Monitor -> eGPU -> Mac

Actually just plugged in a different monitor directly to the eGPU and got an even lower score. How strange.

Wonder if it's because I am running the silent VBIOS.
That's weird. I would have thought the XT would have been quicker. Could be silent VBIOS. I do not believe I have that on my XFX. The only thing different between our systems is the Video Card/eGPU and memory, I believe.

playaproved

macrumors 6502
Sep 29, 2005
Im due to receive my new Mac Mini/Ultrafine 4K setup within the next two days. I’ve been researching eGPUs, as I was looking into adding one next year.

What I’m finding is that outside of the BlackMagic eGPUs, there really isn’t much (any) compatibility with TB3 on video cards. My question is, should I be looking into getting a different monitor for better compatibility, or will there be more video cards with TB3 coming out in the near future?

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
Im due to receive my new Mac Mini/Ultrafine 4K setup within the next two days. I’ve been researching eGPUs, as I was looking into adding one next year.

What I’m finding is that outside of the BlackMagic eGPUs, there really isn’t much (any) compatibility with TB3 on video cards. My question is, should I be looking into getting a different monitor for better compatibility, or will there be more video cards with TB3 coming out in the near future?
I’ll let you know by the end of the week. I have a cable that should allow Display Port to connect to USB-C, arrive later this week.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
That's weird. I would have thought the XT would have been quicker. Could be silent VBIOS. I do not believe I have that on my XFX. The only thing different between our systems is the Video Card/eGPU and memory, I believe.

Could be the memory, not sure how that affects the results to be honest. I'll try again with normal VBIOS when I get a moment but I can't see the score jumping much.

LiE_

macrumors 68000
Mar 23, 2013
UK
So I have my Huawei VR 2 cable and I thought it may be useful to document how to use it, based on my testing. I couldn't find this info else where so others might find it interesting.

macOS Usage

- You cannot boot into macOS with the eGPU connected using this cable, you get no display. Unplug the eGPU from the Mac mini when booting into macOS.

- You should instead boot with the standard Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection.

- When macOS has loaded, unplug the Mac mini > LG UltraFine TB3 connection and plug in the eGPU. The eGPU will come to life and after a few seconds you'll have full display and brightness controls.

- Waking from sleep is fine with the eGPU connected.

veIMdpM.png

Windows Bootcamp Usage

- Windows requires the eGPU to be connected when booting. However you do not get the boot loader with the eGPU connected, so you cannot select which OS to boot.

- To work around this, you should set Windows as the default OS when turning on your Mac mini.

- This allows you to reboot in macOS with the eGPU connected, and go into Windows bootcamp without having to do any unplugs.

Benchmark

ajo9VH4.png

Things to test

- What I haven't tested yet is if I switch the eGPU off at the power while the Mac mini is asleep, but then switch it back on and wake it up does it output to the display.
Tested, turning off the eGPU while in sleep mode will cause the Mac mini to crash.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.