Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Like the topic says... Face ID sucks in pandemic when wearing masks is advised.

I've been thinking, could Apple make use of an Apple Watch as a method of authenticating an iPhone?

For example, say you put on your watch, and you can authenticate the watch by FaceID while unmasked, at home, wherever it's safe.

Then, could the phone monitor the signal strength of the connection between the phone & watch to determine if it has left the personal proximity like if the phone is beyond the normal hand holding or being in your pocket range? Maybe they could make it detect if its laying flat on a table so even if you put it down it will then require a passcode, or for an extended period of time without sensing motion.

This is the first time I have really missed my old Touch ID phones... Its kind of a shame that Apple didn't think about the Asian markets, where masks are worn regardless of a pandemic or not. No wonder their sales in China are crappy. Maybe this will make them develop secondary authentication with under screen Touch ID.

Just spitballing here, cuz its frustrating to have to punch in a freakin code like its 2012.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Well you can't deny that FaceID is a hindrance now.

I'm sure they're thinking of it now, and other manufacturers who have thought of it are probably reaping some benefits by offering dual authentication.
As of now, I don't think there are many other phones that can do dual authentication, both FaceID level biometric AND a TouchID level biometric. The Pixel 4 ditched the fingerprint reader. Maybe the Huawei Mate 30? But how many people actually bought that phone?

Unless you count Samsung's iris scan on their older Galaxies, but even Samsung discontinued it on their S20.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
When I it up the grocery (just once a week), I'm wearing a mask, and using my iPhone for the grocery list (the Notes app is great in that capacity, I get real time updates :D).

Anyway, I just set to the display to never lock, leave it on, set in the cart, and barring an accidental manual lock, I don't have to unlock it again for the whole visit.

At least with 13.5, there's going to be a rapid keypad unlock presentment (when a mask/partially obscured face is detected), which should be pretty helpful. GM just went out, I'd assume a public release very soon. :)

Reactions: G5isAlive

EM2013

macrumors 68020
Sep 2, 2013
Hopefully the iPhone 12 resolved this and brings back touchid. I have a feeling I’ll be forced to wear a mask the rest of the year at least.
The iPhone 12 will not have Touch ID. Next years iPhone is rumored to have a fingerprint reader under the display.

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
It's a real shame that some locales are stipulating the wearing of masks when out. If you're healthy, the WHO only recommends that you wear a mask if you're treating someone with COVID, at which point you shouldn't be handling a phone anyway. Otherwise wearing a mask creates plastic waste and depletes the stock of PPE for those who actually need them.

I'll stick with my iPhone 8 for another year I think!

Edit: This post is several months old, at the time the WHO were actively discouraging the wearing of masks outside of the medical community. They have since changed their advice for reasons that I do not entirely agree with but nonetheless I do wear a mask inside any enclosed public venue and advise others to do the same.

Last edited:

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
It's a real shame that some locales are stipulating the wearing of masks when out. If you're healthy, the WHO only recommends that you wear a mask if you're treating someone with COVID, at which point you shouldn't be handling a phone anyway. Otherwise wearing a mask creates plastic waste and depletes the stock of PPE for those who actually need them.

It’s mandated by the governor in NY that everyone has to wear a face covering of some sort when out. You can’t ride public transportation without a mask. Food places will not let you go in without a mask. It’s densely populated in NY and I’m sure you know that NY is the top most affected in the United States so it makes sense why they are making people wear masks. They still don’t know much about the virus and a lot of us have to travel to get to work so I feel safer wearing a mask than not because quite frankly I don’t trust people here. They will be the type to go out even affected with the virus and not care if they get others sick. It’s no wonder that NY is the #1 affected state.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia

I believe that was the early recommendation. However, the current understanding is that many people will be asymptomatic, meaning they won't show any signs of infections, thus making them carriers of the virus. Wearing masks will at least prevent droplets from us going to potentially higher risk people. The mask is not to protect us form the virus, it's to protect others from our droplets.

But of course, I'm sure most governments are just doing it as a precautions, regardless of the understanding behind the use of masks.

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I thought Apple added a feature that can tell if the face is covered and automatically prompts the passcode to appear?

yes I believe this will be included iniOS 13.5
[automerge]1589890853[/automerge]
Masks aren't required in all places either. But personally, if I need a mask, I'll wear gloves. Different strokes for different folks.
I personally do not wear gloves because all that does is spread the virus everywhere including your phone which is being covered in all sorts of germs when you wear gloves. The virus lives longer on gloves. I constantly sanitize my hands when out. Much safer for me than wearing gloves that just contribute to the spread as most people don’t understand cross contamination

Reactions: compwiz1202

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
I have seen it said that FaceID can be made to recognize you with a mash if you re-train it with mask. It will fail training if you wear a mask outright. But it takes two scans of your face to work, I saw people being successful with the following:

Fold the mask in half. Hold it against your face half way (so half of the face is visible and half is covered). Do the first scan.

When second scan comes, cover the other side of the face and do the second scan.

Reactions: Starlettmoonshadow

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I believe that was the early recommendation. However, the current understanding is that many people will be asymptomatic, meaning they won't show any signs of infections, thus making them carriers of the virus. Wearing masks will at least prevent droplets from us going to potentially higher risk people. The mask is not to protect us form the virus, it's to protect others from our droplets.

But of course, I'm sure most governments are just doing it as a precautions, regardless of the understanding behind the use of masks.

It's mostly security theater. Take a look around and see how many people are touching their mask with their hands. Do you see anyone going to wash their hands after doing that? Usually not, so now that person is spreading the virus (if they have it) because they've transferred it from their mask to their hands.

Most people are leaving their masks in their cars, never washing them, so as soon as they put them on they've already transferred the virus from their mask to their hands.

Reactions: one more
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.