Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
It could possibly be that 3D depth is partially or totally ignored in the LG mask unlock... ? or only the eyes and forehead depth data is used.... Who knows...
Apple has the most secure Face ID. All the ones on competitor phones are basic in comparison. Hence why the True Depth camera cluster within the notch is essential & I think taken so long to shrink. Hopefully next year we’ll see a smaller version.
but to be honest it doesn’t bother me how I open my phone. Then again we’d get people complaining that they can’t open their phone with gloves on, so they’ll be annoyance at whatever.
The thing is, it’s not just for unlocking your phone (as great as that function is). It’s a VERY convenient way to log into websites/Apps & to use ApplePay. The latter is a real annoyance because I waited years for my bank to support it & I had a good couple of months before I turned into a masked bandit ?

You’re really going to enjoy it I think.
?

Oh & here’s another mention of that rumoured full screen Touch ID for iPhone. Really hope they do this (or at least half screen) to make no-look unlocking easier...

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The thing is, it’s not just for unlocking your phone (as great as that function is). It’s a VERY convenient way to log into websites/Apps & to use ApplePay. The latter is a real annoyance because I waited years for my bank to support it & I had a good couple of months before I turned into a masked bandit

You’re really going to enjoy it I think.

Oh & here’s another mention of that rumoured full screen Touch ID for iPhone. Really hope they do this (or at least half screen) to make no-look unlocking easier...
Nothing against FaceID and I’m looking forward to using it. I don’t think TouchID is particularly inconvenient as it’s just placing a finger on the button when prompted. I get that FaceID is more seamless in use though. :)

Reactions: compwiz1202

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I suppose for those who are in situations where they wear masks a lot, it’s annoying. I don’t know why Apple didn’t put a TouchID sensor somewhere else on the phone rather than the front. I feel they went down the FaceID route just to bring something new at the time but to be honest it doesn’t bother me how I open my phone. Then again we’d get people complaining that they can’t open their phone with gloves on, so they’ll be annoyance at whatever.

Let's be real; there's no way Apple or anyone else could have been able to predict we'd be in a situation where we have to wear masks all the time when going out. This entire pandemic is completely unprecedented and came out of nowhere. Can't really blame Apple in this case because FaceID normally works really well and was a suitable upgrade for TouchID.

Now that we know this sort of thing can happen it makes sense for future phones to have both FaceID and TouchID. But really, a few years ago no one could know.

Reactions: compwiz1202

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
Let's be real; there's no way Apple or anyone else could have been able to predict we'd be in a situation where we have to wear masks all the time when going out. This entire pandemic is completely unprecedented and came out of nowhere. Can't really blame Apple in this case because FaceID normally works really well and was a suitable upgrade for TouchID.

Now that we know this sort of thing can happen it makes sense for future phones to have both FaceID and TouchID. But really, a few years ago no one could know.
Not sure you meant to quote me with that but I totally agree with you.

marty1980

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2011
If the iPad Air 4 introduces TouchID on the power button, it’s possible Apple could consider adding that to an iPhone as an option.

The problem is that there has been no rumors of the iPhone 12 making any changes to authentication. If people can come together (apart), wear proper masks, wear masks correctly, and continue to distance then it’s possible that the 2021 iPhone won’t even need to consider changing things either.

I doubt we’ll see another SE-type model any time soon that would have both FaceID and TouchID.

I am lucky to work from home. I don’t go out except when needed. So my mask wearing is limited.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Nothing against FaceID and I’m looking forward to using it. I don’t think TouchID is particularly inconvenient as it’s just placing a finger on the button when prompted. I get that FaceID is more seamless in use though. :)
FaceID crushes touch for authentication, but I would prefer Touch for Apple Pay and getting new apps. So much easier for me to already have my finger on the button as I move the phone to the terminal, and I don't need to angle it any certain way toward my face.

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
All I'll say is that I've used my Apple Watch WAAAAAYYYYYYY more to buy things than I ever have before. I was always fine using Apple Pay on my iPhone before the pandemic but always felt a little geeky for some reason paying on my Watch. Not anymore. The wrist get flicked and the payment gets processed.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
FaceID crushes touch for authentication, but I would prefer Touch for Apple Pay and getting new apps. So much easier for me to already have my finger on the button as I move the phone to the terminal, and I don't need to angle it any certain way toward my face.
You have to angle your phone in a certain way? I just look at mine and it unlocks. Without going out of my way to purposely hold it in some weird way if I'm holding the phone like I use it the Face ID will unlock it. You could try redoing the Face ID thing because maybe it didn't learn your face correctly.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

Masks, yes and there are fair numbers, in my area, of people wearing gloves. The combination of masks and gloves makes biometrics identification tough.

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is one area where apples one size fits all is not optimal.

but I have gotten used to it since the current update makes the passcode pop up almost immediately.

pcdtech

Suspended
May 11, 2020
Two questions for the forum:
(1) What features/functionality do I lose by shutting off Face ID and removing a passcode?
(2) What features/functionality do I lose by shutting off Face ID but keeping a passcode?

CrimsonKnight

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
Denver, CO
Totally. I do UberEats and DoorDash as a side hustle, and inside the stores wearing a mask and trying to pull the order back up can get old real fast. On the plus, side...I have been getting real fast at putting in my pin. So there is that! LOL

Reactions: barondebxl

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
You have to angle your phone in a certain way? I just look at mine and it unlocks. Without going out of my way to purposely hold it in some weird way if I'm holding the phone like I use it the Face ID will unlock it. You could try redoing the Face ID thing because maybe it didn't learn your face correctly.

I use (or I guess used to) use my phone while it was sitting flat on a table all the time to quickly check messages and emails. I also have to angle the phone if I'm using the phone while lying down in bed. The loss of TouchID has eliminated one of these use cases and made the other annoying.

So yes there are cases where you have to angle your phone a certain way. You just don't seem to run in to them.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
I've noticed that unlocking with a pin kind of sucks. I've gotten used to the PIN, so I'm typing it in faster - but it's not being accepted. It reminds me of the Calculator issue from a few years back where typing in numbers fast would cause errors.

Reactions: AnthroMatt

AnthroMatt

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
Redlands, CA
I've noticed that unlocking with a pin kind of sucks. I've gotten used to the PIN, so I'm typing it in faster - but it's not being accepted. It reminds me of the Calculator issue from a few years back where typing in numbers fast would cause errors.

I have this problem too. And I’ve noticed when I enter my passcode incorrectly it usually repopulates with one entry so if I fail to notice that and don’t delete it, I get it wrong again

Last edited:

Techmaestro

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
This is why, at least a little, I am considering the Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra. The notch is played out and the in-screen ultrasonic finger print scanner feels like the future, particularly during these times.

barondebxl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2013
Totally. I do UberEats and DoorDash as a side hustle, and inside the stores wearing a mask and trying to pull the order back up can get old real fast. On the plus, side...I have been getting real fast at putting in my pin. So there is that! LOL
Lol I'm in the exact same position as you, that's why I'm getting an 8 plus

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
As much as I support Apple (I’ve been a long time user with dozens of products), I do think it’s time for them to introduce a fingerprint reader under the display. Not so much because of the ‘pandemic inconveniences’ with Face ID, but mainly because having a secondary biometric option poses no reason it shouldn’t be offered at least simultaneously with Face ID or on a separate device, but it should be introduced at some point, and Apple knows it.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
I use (or I guess used to) use my phone while it was sitting flat on a table all the time to quickly check messages and emails. I also have to angle the phone if I'm using the phone while lying down in bed. The loss of TouchID has eliminated one of these use cases and made the other annoying.

So yes there are cases where you have to angle your phone a certain way. You just don't seem to run in to them.
If it’s where I can read it my phone unlocks. I don’t really try to read my phone while it’s laying on the table but perhaps that’s an eyesight issue of mine.

Starlettmoonshadow

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2020
I have seen it said that FaceID can be made to recognize you with a mash if you re-train it with mask. It will fail training if you wear a mask outright. But it takes two scans of your face to work, I saw people being successful with the following:

Fold the mask in half. Hold it against your face half way (so half of the face is visible and half is covered). Do the first scan.

When second scan comes, cover the other side of the face and do the second scan.
I like I’m assuming everyone else was getting so irritated with This topic and am thankful you added this advice because i tried it and it worked. How nice. I do plan to have a few of my gfs try getting into my phone with a mask on and see if it will work since the phone might think it’s me since “half their face looks like mine does” I’m curios too if it’ll still work if my mask looks different since I have a handful of different looking masks that I change to match what I’m wearing and such. If I come up with any info worth sharing I will just like this awesome person did. Gratsi

nmeed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2014
Didn’t they allow you to add another face or something? If so, add one with you wearing the mask. Feels like that’s too simple of a solution to be true though.

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
Time for Apple to add underscreen Touch ID as well as Face ID to the next iPhone especially in times of a pandemic. Actually Apple came out with a new patent related to this today so what are they waiting for

Canyda

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2020
Didn’t they allow you to add another face or something? If so, add one with you wearing the mask. Feels like that’s too simple of a solution to be true though.
When you try to add an ID while wearing a mask, your iPhone says your face is obstructed and will not continue mapping your face.

Reactions: nmeed

ToddH

macrumors 68030
Jul 5, 2010
Central Tx
I’ve had Covid, I’m now immune. Masks don’t work anyway. Consider a chain link fence: that is the mask. The virus is a BB shot at the fence. The BB just goes straight through, because the fences holes are too large to catch the BB. That’s how small the virus is, it just passes through the mask. If a fart can pass through underwear and jeans, what makes you think that mask is going to work?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.