Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Hopefully the iPhone 12 resolved this and brings back touchid. I have a feeling I’ll be forced to wear a mask the rest of the year at least.

Apparently, Apple is already addressing this, this is from the beta of iOS 13.5
1589900361120.png

Reactions: russell_314

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
I’ve sold my iPhone 11 Pro and bought a new iphone SE. couldn’t be happier. Mask wearing is the new norm here and I suspect it will be for a while.

Not comfortable to key in PIN for opening the phone lock or bank apps. Touch ID is the way to go, for now.
Got the SE 2020 also but still have my 11PM to use at home. Once we don't need masks anymore I will switch the SIM and keep the SE for backup.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Traded in my iPhone XS for a 2020 SE, it was $29 total for me to get the 128GB model. Much better battery life, Touch ID is a dream, better camera, faster performance, no more notch or cropped off corners.

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
It's a real shame that some locales are stipulating the wearing of masks when out. If you're healthy, the WHO only recommends that you wear a mask if you're treating someone with COVID, at which point you shouldn't be handling a phone anyway.

Yeah, you're forgetting that listening to the WHO got the world into this mess in the first place.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
It's a real shame that some locales are stipulating the wearing of masks when out. If you're healthy, the WHO only recommends that you wear a mask if you're treating someone with COVID, at which point you shouldn't be handling a phone anyway. Otherwise wearing a mask creates plastic waste and depletes the stock of PPE for those who actually need them.

I'll stick with my iPhone 8 for another year I think!

If you were out and about and contracted the virus, you could spread it freely for over a week before having symptoms. If you wore a mask during that time, it’s less likely you would spread it to others. If we all wear masks in public, we’re protecting each other.

Motionblurrr

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2008
If you were out and about and contracted the virus, you could spread it freely for over a week before having symptoms. If you wore a mask during that time, it’s less likely you would spread it to others. If we all wear masks in public, we’re protecting each other.

Wanna know something crazy? I've had to explain how masks work during this pandemic to about 8 people. They refused to wear a mask because they thought it was overblown or a "hoax". They also thought masks was to protect themselves but it's the opposite--it's to protect others and others protect YOU!

Now they understand and wear masks themselves when out in public no matter how silly they feel. ?

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
Can't believe people are selling 11 pro phones for a SE, mask or no mask.

I know it’s so crazy. People really are butt hurt about not using their faceID. Like come on it’s not that big of a deal considering with what’s going on now. I just don’t understand the logic. But to each their own! I’m happy with my Pro Max. It’s not that big of a deal for me. First world problems ? people are in far worse positions now than having to worry about not being able to use the faceID because they have to wear a mask. Get over it!

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Like the topic says... Face ID sucks in pandemic when wearing masks is advised.

I've been thinking, could Apple make use of an Apple Watch as a method of authenticating an iPhone?

For example, say you put on your watch, and you can authenticate the watch by FaceID while unmasked, at home, wherever it's safe.
You are thinking about the unlocking. Apple thinks about the security, that is not allowing anyone other than you to unlock the iPhone. That's even more important. I'm sure someone would find a way to unlock your phone. For example, I take your phone out of your pocket and the watch authenticates it, while _I_ am holding it in your hand, not you.

And Apple made a change where when you look at your phone the phone decides _immediately_ that there is a person with a mask that cannot be recognised, and puts up the passcode immediately, so it's much faster now.

Reactions: jagolden

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
I’ve been under the impression Face ID allows two "faces". Can you make one of them with a mask on.

otherwise, just enter your passcode. Only takes a second or two.

Reactions: now i see it

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy any brand new iPhone that has FaceID since masks are going to be with us for a long time to come
For those of us who aren't regularly going shopping in busy supermarkets or huddling together on public transport, its not an issue. I haven't got an iPhone with FaceID yet as I am still using an 8+, but I can't see it being an issue later this year.

There isn't a lot of choice of brand new phones without FaceID either.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
Can't believe people are selling 11 pro phones for a SE, mask or no mask.
Yes I don't get the selling or trading either. I just bought it to use while out, but I still have my PM to use at home on Wi-FI and to swap the SIM back into once masks are over.

Reactions: SurferJoes

HiVolt

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Toronto, Canada
I honestly would have considered buying a SE2 if they made them in the plus size. But i can't go down to a toy size 4.7".
[automerge]1589990011[/automerge]
You are thinking about the unlocking. Apple thinks about the security, that is not allowing anyone other than you to unlock the iPhone. That's even more important. I'm sure someone would find a way to unlock your phone. For example, I take your phone out of your pocket and the watch authenticates it, while _I_ am holding it in your hand, not you.

And Apple made a change where when you look at your phone the phone decides _immediately_ that there is a person with a mask that cannot be recognised, and puts up the passcode immediately, so it's much faster now.

Yeah, and before Touch ID I knew so many people would leave their phones to only automatically lock after an hour or more sometimes, because they didnt want to punch in the code all the time... I had it set for 5 minutes I believe.

NickName99

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2018
Yes I don't get the selling or trading either. I just bought it to use while out, but I still have my PM to use at home on Wi-FI and to swap the SIM back into once masks are over.

I‘be got my iPad Mini 2019 at home. Perfect combo with my iPhone SE 2020.

SurferJoes

Suspended
May 12, 2020
Here i would only get $1400 for my 11 pro 256gb and the SE 256gb is $1k lol, so no way. It's nearly all over here now anyway was pretty much a non event, 100 deaths out of 25 million and most of those elderly in nursing homes or off a cruise ship that should never been allowed to dock.
Economy is trashed though and that is where people are suffering. No one is wearing masks and they don't work anyway.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Here me out:

Masking will have no effect on the iPhone sales in the future. We have to take in consideration, we don’t have a decent ‘sample size‘ of how many individuals actually mask in the first place. It might be a slight inconvenience, But it’s not like consumers are going to abandon their iPhones that have face ID or not consider a phone that has face ID in the future, it’s just the reality of the situation. There are ‘temporary workarounds’ while masking, but again, I question how many people are actually masking in the first place that would say to themselves, ‘I don’t won’t upgrade to an iPhone that has Face ID’ I doubt that’s going to be the mindset for many consumers.

now, another member made a great suggestion that Apple should probably consider, and that’s with touch ID embedded under the display and Face ID offered In tandem, it gives the option to the consumer and we know the technology is available, (which Craig Federighi stated experimentEd with this Tech back in 2017), the question is, will Apple allow this to happen or will they want Face ID to be the ‘primary form’ of biometric security. That’s some serious decision making on their end in terms of how th could alter the iPhone manufacturing in the future.

Bill Av

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2006
It’s September 5th and masks are still required in NYC. I’ve finally turned off FaceID, and it’s not too bad. I picked a long passcode for the phone and turned off FaceID for everything. The best part is that turning off FaceID brings back the one-shot-only PIN entry for 1Password. For those that aren’t aware, this means that you can unlock 1Password with a PIN, but the first time you make a mistake, you’re forced to use the master password to get in again. I had asked Agile about it, and the response I got back made it seem like the feature never existed.

jamezr

macrumors P6
Aug 7, 2011
US
It depends on what type of face covering you wear or are required to wear for your job.
I work from home so no mask required :) But when I do venture out into the world I wear a plastic see through face shield. It is accepted everywhere and has the added luxury of letting me breath easier and FaceID works.
I wear to the gym and it is so nice to be able to breathe!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.