Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Baymowe335

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
This may have been covered, but it appears possible to "unlock" with FaceID and have the phone immediately go to the home screen without swiping up.

7:43 in this video.

Has this been confirmed to be something you can enable, like resting your finger on TouchID with iPad Pro? (no button press necessary)

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
This may have been covered, but it appears possible to "unlock" with FaceID and have the phone immediately go to the home screen without swiping up.

7:43 in this video.

Has this been confirmed to be something you can enable, like resting your finger on TouchID with iPad Pro? (no button press necessary)

Nooo, we don’t want that. The whole idea of swiping up is to get to our notifications. FaceID activates notifcations to appear so you can check them without ever getting into home screen. If there was no swipe up we would never see notifications. Will that be a setting that can be changed in the future for people that don’t care about notifications.. maybe

Baymowe335

Suspended
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
It only did that because she tried to open the phone by swiping up first. You will have to swipe up to open the phone, either before or after you look at your phone.
Good catch, you're right.

Not sure why this wouldn't be an option for convenience if you wanted it. Do you think it's a possibility?

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Good catch, you're right.

Not sure why this wouldn't be an option for convenience if you wanted it. Do you think it's a possibility?
No, because as has already been stated, if it opened immediately when you looked at it, it would make Notification Center null and void. You would never be able to see or act on any notifications.

Reactions: Baymowe335

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
I have a pretty strong feeling that Apple will add the ability to unlock straight to the home screen as an option at some point.

You would think. But I use the Notification Center all the time. So it wouldn’t work for me. Think about it how could they put notifications in while no swipe up to get in, side button action wouldn’t work either. No way around, as of now

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
You would think. But I use the Notification Center all the time. So it wouldn’t work for me. Think about it how could they put notifications in while no swipe up to get in, side button action wouldn’t work either. No way around, as of now
They could make it a toggle in settings or even by making a certain kind of face when you unlock. Or even go to home screen when there are no notifications.

vannibombonato

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2007

That's why all we need is a simple option.

Whenever people who don't care so much about notifications will want to check them they'll swipe down, instead of being forced to swipe each and every time.

I'd say 50% it's an option that will come with time: my guess on why it's not there in the first place is that Apple wants to push the coolness of just "looking" at those private notifications and having them unveil (which IS cool, but i don't use notifications...).

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
That's why all we need is a simple option.

Whenever people who don't care so much about notifications will want to check them they'll swipe down, instead of being forced to swipe each and every time.

I'd say 50% it's an option that will come with time: my guess on why it's not there in the first place is that Apple wants to push the coolness of just "looking" at those private notifications and having them unveil (which IS cool, but i don't use notifications...).

Ya I can see that too but I don’t think it’s jsut for notifications. I mean if someone grabs ur phone and puts it in front of ur face. That last gesture will give you time to grab it back.. haha

InBruges

macrumors newbie
Nov 25, 2012
United Kingdom
Nooo, we don’t want that. The whole idea of swiping up is to get to our notifications. FaceID activates notifcations to appear so you can check them without ever getting into home screen. If there was no swipe up we would never see notifications. Will that be a setting that can be changed in the future for people that don’t care about notifications.. maybe

I’d like a way of getting in using FaceID and a side button so I can e.g read a message or identify a song without having to take my gloves off in the winter

CharlesShaw

macrumors 65816
May 8, 2015
I’d like a way of getting in using FaceID and a side button so I can e.g read a message or identify a song without having to take my gloves off in the winter

In the meantime, Siri can help. Or even your  Watch (noting your avatar).

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
total blond moment for sure.. uh that's not the way it works. once you swipe up and it doesn't unlock well then sure it will unlock without swiping AGAIN after FID authenticates.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London

Get some of those touchscreen gloves, i have some and they work fine for fat-finger actions, less good for typing.

Reactions: MacCheetah3

Surge74

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2017

I personally never use Notifcation Center. Just got my X and it’s immediately annoying to have to swipe up to unlock. Especially compared to holding your finger down to unlock.

Stylinguy

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2017
Lindenhurst, NY
There is a way to get to the home screen without swiping up. You can create a virtual home button in the accessibility section. You can put the home button whereverr you like (like bottom middle), however when you turn the phone sideways, it always reverts back to top right hand corner. But it is easier to press to go to home screen than swiping up. Also, you can double tap to go to app switcher. And the virtual home button becomes translucent when not in use.

McFCologne

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
No, because as has already been stated, if it opened immediately when you looked at it, it would make Notification Center null and void. You would never be able to see or act on any notifications.

You can simply swipe down, to see notifications. I would like the phone to be unlocked with face id (as an option). Where is the advantage to not need a finer to unlock when i need the finger to swipe?

Sunnyday2017

Suspended
Nov 10, 2017
You can simply swipe down, to see notifications. I would like the phone to be unlocked with face id (as an option). Where is the advantage to not need a finer to unlock when i need the finger to swipe?

So would I. It would be very convenient for many of us and if those that do not like it there should be a way to disable it or if you have to get to your notifications once it opens, just wipe down possible option.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
So would I. It would be very convenient for many of us and if those that do not like it there should be a way to disable it or if you have to get to your notifications once it opens, just wipe down possible option.
I hope they make it an option. The different perspectives here might be to do with how many notifications people get. If someone almost always has new notifications whenever they unlock their phone then I can see how it being as it is now is totally logical for them. On the other hand I turn off notifications on almost all my apps and deliberately don't have email set up so I get very few notifications and would definitely set it to unlock straight to the home screen if Apple were to ever add that option.

If Apple did have a straight-to-home-screen option it would make sense to also add a very visible indicator on the home screen to let the user know that there are new notifications to see. Perhaps temporarily turn the swipe-up bar red or something and when it is red the user can swipe up on it to see notifications. By definition the user would already be at the home screen so hijacking the swipe-up action just for that first unlock view of the home screen shouldn't be an issue.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
But what if you don't have any Notifications?

Wouldn't it be great if when there are no Notifications, it just unlocked straight to Home Screen, but if you did have them, it displayed them & required you to swipe up as (as you do now)?

I've seen footage of the OnePlus 5 going straight to Home screen with its Face ID system & it was so sleek.
[doublepost=1511156431][/doublepost]
Did you skip over my post..lol
I always skip over your posts.

(jks lol) :D
[doublepost=1511156987][/doublepost]
They could make it a toggle in settings or even by making a certain kind of face when you unlock. Or even go to home screen when there are no notifications.

& now i'm catching up to the thread....

I personally never use Notifcation Center. Just got my X and it’s immediately annoying to have to swipe up to unlock. Especially compared to holding your finger down to unlock.

I'd say you're in the minority there. Most people would depend on Notifications & would like quick access to them sans the need to unlock the phone.

I find Reminders, Calendar alerts, SMS, missed calls, Tweets are my most shown Notifications. The first two are pretty important as I like to set Reminders often.

I could watch her read the dictionary.

creepy
ˈkriːpi/
adjective
informal

1. causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.
    "the creepy feelings one often gets in a strange house"
    synonyms: frightening, scaring, terrifying, hair-raising, spine-chilling, blood-curdling, chilling, petrifying, alarming, shocking, harrowing, horrifying, horrific, horrible, awful, nightmarish, macabre, ghostly;
;)
(lol)

You can simply swipe down, to see notifications. I would like the phone to be unlocked with face id (as an option). Where is the advantage to not need a finger to unlock when i need the finger to swipe?
Quick access to Notifications, & being able to clear or reply to them, without the need to unlock the phone & then swiping down is a big time saver for those who get many Notifications.

But for the times when you've cleared them all, IOS should just straight to the Home Screen.

(Man I love typing on my newly purchased Logitech G810)...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.