Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
What you want seems a bit 'backwards'. You want is to bypass info (notifications), to get to a screen were you are require to use finger input, so what's the point?

The point is that if you do not care about notifications the extra swipe is totally unnecessary, and an annoyance considering how many times the phone needs to be unlocked per day.

Imagine if you hade to do an extra swipe every time you wanted to use the keyboard despite already having placed the cursor in a text field? Wouldn't you find that annoying, despite expecting to perform finger input?

On top of this, your assumption is incorrect. I frequently wish to check something in the frontmost app without performing any type of input. Examples include booking details in an e-mail, the length of the latest phone call, information from a web page or a calculation result in a spreadsheet.

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
The point is that if you do not care about notifications the extra swipe is totally unnecessary, and an annoyance considering how many times the phone needs to be unlocked per day.

Imagine if you hade to do an extra swipe every time you wanted to use the keyboard despite already having placed the cursor in a text field? Wouldn't you find that annoying, despite expecting to perform finger input?

On top of this, your assumption is incorrect. I frequently wish to check something in the frontmost app without performing any type of input. Examples include booking details in an e-mail, the length of the latest phone call, information from a web page or a calculation result in a spreadsheet.

The point is...most people DO care about notifications.

Reactions: chabig

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
The point is...most people DO care about notifications.
No, the point is lots and lots of people actually do not care about notifications, which is evident looking at all the threads on the topic in different forums. Apple has reimplemented this functionality previously in the rest-finger-on-home-button action, I don't see this as being any different.

Nobody has (as far as I can tell) suggested that Apple should change the default behavior. A simple checkbox in the settings could allow this choice, just like you can turn off the infuriating (to me) raise-to-wake functionality.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prince Akeem

bambooshots

Suspended
Jul 25, 2013
You would think. But I use the Notification Center all the time. So it wouldn’t work for me. Think about it how could they put notifications in while no swipe up to get in, side button action wouldn’t work either. No way around, as of now

If they did, Apple would probably allow the user to toggle auto-Home Screen on and off.

rpungin

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2018
New York City
Notifications are not the only thing that are shown on the lock screen. There is Flashlight and Camera buttons at the bottom that are activated via 3D Touch (took me a while to figure that out). Also, if there is audio playing, the lock screen has the playback controls. Also, the weather widget can show up as shown here: https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/...ock-screen-widget-ios-12-your-iphone-0185168/

But as others said, I'd still like there to be an option in settings to allow going straight to Home screen if there are no notifications and no audio playing. I would forgo not having the Flashlight and Camera buttons available right away for convenience of not having to swipe up each time I unlock the phone with Face ID.

Last edited:
Reactions: chabig

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
Notifications are not the only thing that are shown on the lock screen. There is Flashlight and Camera buttons at the bottom that are activated via 3D Touch (took me a while to figure that out). Also, if there is audio playing, the lock screen has the playback controls.

Of course, but all these things are also available from Control Center, which is only a swipe away.

I use quick access to the flashlight or the camera perhaps once or twice per day, but I want a quick glance at whatever content is active tens or perhaps even hundreds of times per day, so it would be an easy choice for me.

JulianL

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2010
London, UK
Some people want it, some people don't. It's a bit like the side button on the early iPads that was (if I'm remembering all this correctly, it was a while ago) originally an orientation lock, got changed to mute in some iOS update, caused a big division in opinion with some liking the change and some hating it, and eventually in another iOS update (I forget which one) a new setting was introduced so that users could choose which behaviour they wanted.

Admittedly the iPad side button issue is mute now (excuse the pun!) since Apple have orientation lock in software but that past controversy and this current division of opinion raises a more general point for me. Is Apple too slow and reluctant to add extra options to Settings since that would seem to be the obvious solution here? I know that Apple tries to stay as true as it can to the "take it out of the box and it just works" philosophy and loads of settings potentially goes against that philosophy but few iPhone users won't have a PC or laptop somewhere in their life which, regardless of whether it is Windows or Mac, has loads of settings and options. This is one that I really think should be an option.

Maybe one possibility to try and keep it simple for "regular" users (for want of a better word) is to create a new category in settings called "Advanced" and put new options in there on a sort of probationary period. Non-technical users could never go in there, there could even be an option in the main section to hide the Advanced section unless enabled. The Advanced section could have a warning that options there might go away in the future and the Apple process for adding a new option that it is unsure about would be, instead of creating a year of frustration for people who want a different behaviour to the default, add an option in the Advanced section, monitor the stats of how many people set it each way (for those who have opted in to anonymous stats collection) and if after a year or so it is pretty evenly split then move it out of Advanced and into the appropriate bit or the main Settings area (i.e. that option is something that the entire Apple audience is genuinely divided on so it is needed to enhance user experience across the whole user base) probably at the next major iOS release rather than a dot release. If the option is predominantly set one way by most people then, depending on how predominantly, either leave it in Advanced or if 95% of users are going one way then perhaps remove it altogether, or at least put it first in the firing line if at some later time Apple feels that the Advanced section is getting too crowded and some options need to be removed.

Reactions: Arctic Moose

Michelasso

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Treviso, Italy
I wouldn't mind the swipe, but I don't think they needed a genius to understand that doing it from the middle instead of the bottom takes only one hand. Unless someone is a contortionist with very long thumbs, sure.

And swiping from the middle it says "no less recent notifications" or what it is in English. Couldn't Apple just invert the two??? What's the point of requiring to swipe straight from the very bottom?

Bbeelzebub

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2015
I just got my new Xs Max yesterday and this is my only issue. I hate the swipe up. Even worse, you have to do it from the bottom, unlike anywhere on the screen (as on Android.)

In fact, this entire swipe up thing reminds me of Android. I turn notifications off for most everything anyhow.

The only way I've found to go from unlock directly to home screen was via a youtube video. I haven't tried it, but I know that it will be an issue because I'd probably tilt my head at some point when I don't want the home screen. Hmmmmm. :-(

Reactions: NJHitmen

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I just got my new Xs Max yesterday and this is my only issue. I hate the swipe up. Even worse, you have to do it from the bottom, unlike anywhere on the screen (as on Android.)

In fact, this entire swipe up thing reminds me of Android. I turn notifications off for most everything anyhow.

The only way I've found to go from unlock directly to home screen was via a youtube video. I haven't tried it, but I know that it will be an issue because I'd probably tilt my head at some point when I don't want the home screen. Hmmmmm. :-(

This seems to have more work getting switch control to work then simply swiping up...

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
I was searching for a workaround and found this thread.

The swipe-up is unnecessary since you don't have to do this with fingerprint scanner.

Rather than have everyone swipe up, which is now the case, they should just unlock it straight to home screen and have those who read notification to swipe down.

In short, those who want to read notification will have to swipe anyway. Those who don't need notifications won't need to swipe.

raylo32

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2018
LOL... Apple give us a choice and some options as to how to use our phones? Goon one.

Yoblipa

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2019
You would think. But I use the Notification Center all the time. So it wouldn’t work for me. Think about it how could they put notifications in while no swipe up to get in, side button action wouldn’t work either. No way around, as of now

Well you can swipe down to view notifications

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I was searching for a workaround and found this thread.

The swipe-up is unnecessary since you don't have to do this with fingerprint scanner.

Rather than have everyone swipe up, which is now the case, they should just unlock it straight to home screen and have those who read notification to swipe down.

In short, those who want to read notification will have to swipe anyway. Those who don't need notifications won't need to swipe.
This is how my Android phone works. I press the fingerprint sensor and the phone unlocks to the home screen. If I want to read notifications, I swipe down. I never could understand why an iphone needs 2 seperate actions, one to unlock and then the other to get to the home screen. Seems kind've redundant to me.

Reactions: iSilas and cc999

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
This is how my Android phone works. I press the fingerprint sensor and the phone unlocks to the home screen. If I want to read notifications, I swipe down. I never could understand why an iphone needs 2 seperate actions, one to unlock and then the other to get to the home screen. Seems kind've redundant to me.
Using a fingerprint sensor (Touch ID Apple's case) and face recognition (Face ID in Apple's case) are different things.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Using a fingerprint sensor (Touch ID Apple's case) and face recognition (Face ID in Apple's case) are different things.

That's not exactly my point. It has nothing to do with whether the phone uses face recognition or a fingerprint sensor. Iphones have done it the same way since day one. You need 2 seperate operations, one to open the screen and the other to unlock. What is wrong with combining them into 1 operation?

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Good catch, you're right.

Not sure why this wouldn't be an option for convenience if you wanted it. Do you think it's a possibility?

I don’t know if it’s a possibility but I do know that I want it, especially on iPad. Makes it a setting. Have one switch in setting to go to Home Screen without a swipe up. I couldn’t care less about seeing notifications on Lock Screen. I can swipe down anytime I like to see them thank you very much Apple.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
That's not exactly my point. It has nothing to do with whether the phone uses face recognition or a fingerprint sensor. Iphones have done it the same way since day one. You need 2 seperate operations, one to open the screen and the other to unlock. What is wrong with combining them into 1 operation?
The option for that is there when Touch ID is used ("Rest Finger to Open").

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yes I understand that. Is it not possible to do if the phone only has face id?
Well, you seemed to imply that it wasn't something available on iPhones when either Touch ID or Face ID is used. It is an option when it comes to Touch ID. It is not an option when it comes to Face ID (at least not so far).

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
Well, you seemed to imply that it wasn't something available on iPhones when either Touch ID or Face ID is used. It is an option when it comes to Touch ID. It is not an option when it comes to Face ID (at least not so far).

No, I have just been trying to express that I think it's redundant to have to go through both an unlock and a swipe to get to the home screen and wondered why face ID alone can't do both just as touch id does.
For what it's worth, I wonder how those of you who use face id deal with using the phone at say an ATM. Do you have to unlock the phone, then swipe to get to the home screen, then go into Apple pay and do another face ID after you have placed the phone to the terminal? Do you do a face ID before you put the phone to the terminal? Does the first face ID that was used to unlock the phone just cover everything? How does this all work? Seems to me that face ID might be a pain to use in this situation, but I have never done so, so I don't know.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
No, I have just been trying to express that I think it's redundant to have to go through both an unlock and a swipe to get to the home screen and wondered why face ID alone can't do both just as touch id does.
For what it's worth, I wonder how those of you who use face id deal with using the phone at say an ATM. Do you have to unlock the phone, then swipe to get to the home screen, then go into Apple pay and do another face ID after you have placed the phone to the terminal? Do you do a face ID before you put the phone to the terminal? Does the first face ID that was used to unlock the phone just cover everything? How does this all work? Seems to me that face ID might be a pain to use in this situation, but I have never done so, so I don't know.
Something like Apple Pay can be used without unlocking the phone, so Face ID would basically only be involved once.

As far as potential differences between Touch ID and Face ID, something like that was brought up at https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...e-to-home-screen.2153954/page-2#post-27219697 might be in consideration.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.