Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
...and wondered why face ID alone can't do both just as touch id does.

They don't behave the same because they're not. On a Touch ID device, you can wake the device and view your notifications if you wish. Unlocking your device doesn't happen until you put your finger on the button. With FaceID, unlocking the device happens when you wake the device and look at the phone. So they've added a step so you have a chance to look at your notifications.

I'm not claiming the way they've done it is either good or bad. You asked why they don't act the same, and that's the answer. While both are methods for unlocking the phone, they're really not completely similar and need different workflows.

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
In iOS 14 there now is a new alternative: Double Tap on the back. It's in Settings>Accecibility>Touch>Tap on back. You can set it up to have "Home" as action.

I don't like the mandatory swipe-up to unlock after Face-ID. Especially when you turn off notifications for most apps, then most of the times you turn on your phone, you keep staring into the abyss of an empty lockscreen, EVERY time after Face-ID. Another bit of an annoyance is that the mandatory swipe-up has to be from the VERY bottom of the screen. Even on my iPhone 12 mini you have to completely readjust your grip, and it's a bit hard to do one-handed.

The tap-on-back option is a slight relief, but I still hope they add the option to simply go directly to home-screen in iOS 14.x or 15....

Reactions: yticolev

Channan

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2012
New Orleans
Nooo, we don’t want that. The whole idea of swiping up is to get to our notifications. FaceID activates notifcations to appear so you can check them without ever getting into home screen. If there was no swipe up we would never see notifications. Will that be a setting that can be changed in the future for people that don’t care about notifications.. maybe
Dang. Over a year later and I’m just now realizing this was a thing. I’ve always had notification previews on because I like to see the content of my notifications and thought it was either on or off. I didn’t know there was an on “when unlocked” option.

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I never really could understand why the phones are designed to require a swipe in addition to unlocking. If you're unlocking it, you want to use it, right? What's the swipe as an additional action for? Seems it makes more sense to allow just an unlock to let you do whatever you want.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I never really could understand why the phones are designed to require a swipe in addition to unlocking. If you're unlocking it, you want to use it, right? What's the swipe as an additional action for? Seems it makes more sense to allow just an unlock to let you do whatever you want.

Reactions: Barbareren

jay968

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2019
California
I understand that.... Once an Android phone is unlocked there is no swipe needed. I can see all my notifications immediately. Or you can set it up to see the notifications even without unlocking the screen.

ahsia

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2020
so, I have a question about this...
on my 12pm, when screen is locked, and I receive sms, the notification banner does show up, but it only indicates "Bob iMessage"...but does not display the message. I have to unlock screen then go into iMessage. is there another quicker method?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
so, I have a question about this...
on my 12pm, when screen is locked, and I receive sms, the notification banner does show up, but it only indicates "Bob iMessage"...but does not display the message. I have to unlock screen then go into iMessage. is there another quicker method?
You can enable previews in notification settings.

Prince Akeem

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2012
I'm quite sure this whole idea evolved from the original (horizontal) "Slide to Unlock" slider that earlier versions (iOS 1 through 6) had. That slide to unlock was quite brilliant, as it prevented accidental unlocks with your phone in a pocket. From iOS 7 upwards they removed the visual slider, but the principle remained the same, slide/swipe to unlock.

However... now that we have different ways of unlocking the phone (TouchID and FaceID), the slide/swipe has become redundant (when there are no notifications).

The thing is, Apple still wanted to have a way to show notifications before "unlocking". For TouchID this was no problem, because that required manual action and allowed them to go to the Home Screen directly. As for FaceID however, unlock is almost instantly so they needed a way to keep you on the lock screen, so they added the mandatory swipe. So far, that makes sense, right? The notification previews/content reveal after FaceID works fine, yes.

However I (and lot's of other people with me) am simply not a fan of the current way it where it's simply showing an empty lock screen after FaceID all those occasions where you have no notifications.

So again, the current functionality in iOS 14 is fine for when there actually are notifications to show, but when there aren't, the swipe-up doesn't make sense and is a slight annoyance. Especially since a one-handed bottom swipe is a lot more inconvenient than a horizontal swipe or just going straight to the Home screen.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I'm quite sure this whole idea evolved from the original (horizontal) "Slide to Unlock" slider that earlier versions (iOS 1 through 6) had. That slide to unlock was quite brilliant, as it prevented accidental unlocks with your phone in a pocket. From iOS 7 upwards they removed the visual slider, but the principle remained the same, slide/swipe to unlock.

However... now that we have different ways of unlocking the phone (TouchID and FaceID), the slide/swipe has become redundant (when there are no notifications).

The thing is, Apple still wanted to have a way to show notifications before "unlocking". For TouchID this was no problem, because that required manual action and allowed them to go to the Home Screen directly. As for FaceID however, unlock is almost instantly so they needed a way to keep you on the lock screen, so they added the mandatory swipe. So far, that makes sense, right? The notification previews/content reveal after FaceID works fine, yes.

However I (and lot's of other people with me) am simply not a fan of the current way it where it's simply showing an empty lock screen after FaceID all those occasions where you have no notifications.

So again, the current functionality in iOS 14 is fine for when there actually are notifications to show, but when there aren't, the swipe-up doesn't make sense and is a slight annoyance. Especially since a one-handed bottom swipe is a lot more inconvenient than a horizontal swipe or just going straight to the Home screen.
There are also those that check the phone quickly just to see the time and/or the day and date.

Reactions: Barbareren

yticolev

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2015
In iOS 14 there now is a new alternative: Double Tap on the back. It's in Settings>Accecibility>Touch>Tap on back. You can set it up to have "Home" as action.
Wow, just discovered this option 5 minutes ago independently and looked for this thread to post it. Ninja'd!

Just to point out, you can also use this feature while in an app to get back to the home screen instead of swiping.

But really, this should have been fixed by Apple by enlarging the zone where a swipe up, especially from the lock screen, works. Then you wouldn't have to move your thumb to the very bottom of the screen.

Ralfi

macrumors 601
Dec 22, 2016
Australia
Then you wouldn't have to move your thumb to the very bottom of the screen.
Just in case you weren’t aware, you can swipe up from the left or right bottom area, it doesn’t need to be the middle area. Might make it easier.

That back tap’s useful. I use double for Control Centre & triple for Notifications. This is handy for larger phones where you struggle to reach the top to swipe down.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Just in case you weren’t aware, you can swipe up from the left or right bottom area, it doesn’t need to be the middle area. Might make it easier.

That back tap’s useful. I use double for Control Centre & triple for Notifications. This is handy for larger phones where you struggle to reach the top to swipe down.
speaking of swiping, i REALLY wish apple would incorporate the android swipe from the right edge (or possibly left if switched by the user) for BACK. going back and forth between android and ios, I find myself swiping from the right when I'm back on my iphone for a few minutes before settilng. ;-)

bb9

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2017
There is an option:
setting/accessibility/touch/AssistiveTouch

Then configure single-Tap -> Home

Now you effectively double tap to reach home screen.

hope this can be useful to some.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.