Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Renho

macrumors 68030
Sep 15, 2014
SR, CA
But what if you don't have any Notifications?

Wouldn't it be great if when there are no Notifications, it just unlocked straight to Home Screen, but if you did have them, it displayed them & required you to swipe up as (as you do now)?

I've seen footage of the OnePlus 5 going straight to Home screen with its Face ID system & it was so sleek.
[doublepost=1511156431][/doublepost]
I always skip over your posts.

(jks lol) :D
[doublepost=1511156987][/doublepost]

& now i'm catching up to the thread....

I'd say you're in the minority there. Most people would depend on Notifications & would like quick access to them sans the need to unlock the phone.

I find Reminders, Calendar alerts, SMS, missed calls, Tweets are my most shown Notifications. The first two are pretty important as I like to set Reminders often.

creepy
ˈkriːpi/
adjective
informal

1. causing an unpleasant feeling of fear or unease.
    "the creepy feelings one often gets in a strange house"
    synonyms: frightening, scaring, terrifying, hair-raising, spine-chilling, blood-curdling, chilling, petrifying, alarming, shocking, harrowing, horrifying, horrific, horrible, awful, nightmarish, macabre, ghostly;
;)
(lol)

Quick access to Notifications, & being able to clear or reply to them, without the need to unlock the phone & then swiping down is a big time saver for those who get many Notifications.

But for the times when you've cleared them all, IOS should just straight to the Home Screen.

(Man I love typing on my newly purchased Logitech G810)...

ahhaah, yes if you have no notifications that would be nice. But i always do so i dont see many times in a day there are none. But yes i think it should be an option to not swipe up for those people who want it. We paid the money, we should be able to do what we want....

bbates123

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
YES!! This has been discussed here numerous times but Apple absolutely needs to offer an OPTION to bypass notifications and go straight to the home screen for folks who don't care about notifications or are ok swiping down from the upper left. We're not saying make it the default, we're saving offer it as an OPTION. I can't fathom why Apple wouldn't offer this. Hopefully in a future release they will. Didn't they offer something similar for Touch ID?

Reactions: Sunnyday2017

Zipster74

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2017
You would think. But I use the Notification Center all the time. So it wouldn’t work for me. Think about it how could they put notifications in while no swipe up to get in, side button action wouldn’t work either. No way around, as of now
[doublepost=1511986582][/doublepost]Notification centre can be accessed by swiping down from top left! I think there should be a choice/option to go straight to home page

andyw715

macrumors 68000
Oct 25, 2013
[doublepost=1511986582][/doublepost]Notification centre can be accessed by swiping down from top left! I think there should be a choice/option to go straight to home page

Unread notifications?
Yes? Stay.
No? Proceed to homescreen.

(Note its swiping down from "anywhere from the top except for the right side")

Reactions: nerdbert

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
You don't need to unlock your phone to see the notifications. Just tilt it up at a distance from your face or hold at an angle so that it doesn't unlock. No problem. Then aim at your face if you want to unlock and go to the home screen. There is really no reason to swipe to go to the home screen. Simple. Come on Apple do it!

Reactions: haruhiko

ralphatron

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2017
East and West
Howdy everyone, I signed up here just to chime in on this...

I think this feature is a must. A simple toggle to allow no-swipe gesture for unlock by face ID. They can build on it and make it more granular in future updates (i.e.: only skip if no recent notifications, record a required gesture, etc..).

Not to mention, those concerned with their notifications, a swipe from top left corner brings it down when the iphone x is unlocked. So in actuality, nothing really changes by allowing this. A tap to wake-up, a glance to unlock, and then a swipe down from top left corner to view notifications is the same amount of steps and extremely similar process to how it currently works.

ON THAT NOTE....

I highly encourage those of you wanting this feature to go over to apple's feedback page and submit a request so that it can effectively reach them in mass.

Thanks everyone :)

(edit: link for convenience: https://www.apple.com/feedback/iphone.html )

Reactions: ssl0408

electric.campfire

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
Howdy everyone, I signed up here just to chime in on this...

Same here! So I've read A LOT about people wanting this. I am actually here because I picked up the X today and while I was setting it up over the past few hours, once or twice, I lifted my phone and looked at it and it opened without swiping. Trying to figure out how that happened. I would know if I swiped or not and I specifically picked the phone up on the edges and (not trying to on purpose because I thought it was intended functionality) it unlocked instantly.

Any explanations or thoughts? I guess if there are no ideas on what happened I will settle for the fact that I swiped and had no idea :(

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Swipe up to unlock and press home button to unlock on other models are basically the same thing. It’s definitely a design choice but Apple gave the option to skip this on devices with a home button. So they should offer this to the iPhone X too. Personally I don’t mind swiping up but an option for folks who want it is good.

electric.campfire

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
I picked up the X today and while I was setting it up over the past few hours, once or twice, I lifted my phone and looked at it and it opened without swiping.

Just got off the phone with Apple and now I'm more confused. He said the X should almost always unlock without having to swipe and that was the explanation for my previous experience with mine unlocking by just looking at it.

roeiz

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2010
Just got off the phone with Apple and now I'm more confused. He said the X should almost always unlock without having to swipe and that was the explanation for my previous experience with mine unlocking by just looking at it.

What?

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
You don’t need to swipe when it comes to notifications

Just click the notification and it unlocks

electric.campfire

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017

Yeaaah. I'm confused how Apple has reps that lack general knowledge around new features/products. He insisted on sending me a 'Resource' (Apple info page) on FaceID. I open it and it specifically reads:

1. Raise to wake or tap to wake your iPhone X.
  2. Glance at your iPhone X.
  3. When the lock icon on your screen animates from closed to open, swipe up from the bottom of the screen to unlock.
[doublepost=1512223561][/doublepost]
You don’t need to swipe when it comes to notifications

Just click the notification and it unlocks

I know that, but I picked up my X, looked at it, the screen turned on (no notifications were present) and unlocked to the springboard.

EricSFS

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2018
There is a way to open to home screen after face ID unlocks without having to swipe up.

1. Go to settings and general
2. Go to Accessibility
3. Got to assistive touch and turn on toggle.
4. Under custom actions click on single-tap and change to "home"
5. Go to home screen and see a translucent circle in bottom right corner, tap once and your at the home screen without swiping up. and works in any app that you are in as well.
6. Change idle opacity to 15% so you barley can see circle.
7. No more Carpal Tunnel!

Last edited:

Abraxastv

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2018
Gold Coast
Nooo, we don’t want that. The whole idea of swiping up is to get to our notifications. FaceID activates notifcations to appear so you can check them without ever getting into home screen. If there was no swipe up we would never see notifications. Will that be a setting that can be changed in the future for people that don’t care about notifications.. maybe
[doublepost=1520559168][/doublepost]It isn’t great not everyone what’s to read their notifications, you should have the option of setting it up that way if you do choose, I also don’t like that you have to swip up select the page and then swipe up again to delete it, just a waste of time. Just my opinion

Unnamed player

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2018
Nooo, we don’t want that. The whole idea of swiping up is to get to our notifications. FaceID activates notifcations to appear so you can check them without ever getting into home screen. If there was no swipe up we would never see notifications. Will that be a setting that can be changed in the future for people that don’t care about notifications.. maybe
It already is a setting

electric.campfire

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2017
This is more confusing. You pitched it like a gimmicky telemarketer. Your process that you use, just swaps the swiping action for a button tap action and a random button icon on the screen at all times, correct? Is there something I’m missing? Your opening statement eludes to a way to unlock to the home screen using ONLY faceID.

There is a way to open to home screen after face ID unlocks without having to swipe up.

2. Go to Accessibility
5. Go to home screen and see a translucent circle in bottom right corner, tap once and your at the home screen without swiping up. and works in any app that you are in as well.

Reactions: Prince Akeem

jsvictor1989

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2018
No, because as has already been stated, if it opened immediately when you looked at it, it would make Notification Center null and void. You would never be able to see or act on any notifications.

Since iPhone X automatically unlocks when when brought in front of the face, can the notifications then directly be opened by a single click, to reach to the application corresponding to the notification. For example, if I receive a Messages app notification, and I pick up the phone in front of my face, it will unlock. In that case, can I simply tap using single click on my Message notification, to be redirected to the Messages application, with the received message?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
John

cwosigns

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2008
Columbus,OH
Since iPhone X automatically unlocks when when brought in front of the face, can the notifications then directly be opened by a single click, to reach to the application corresponding to the notification. For example, if I receive a Messages app notification, and I pick up the phone in front of my face, it will unlock. In that case, can I simply tap using single click on my Message notification, to be redirected to the Messages application, with the received message?

Thanks in advance!
Regards,
John
Yes; just click on the notification and it will take you to the app.

Arctic Moose

macrumors 65816
Jun 22, 2017
Gothenburg, Sweden
No, because as has already been stated, if it opened immediately when you looked at it, it would make Notification Center null and void. You would never be able to see or act on any notifications.
Which is exactly what I want. I have notifications turned off, so I’m doing a meaningless swipe up on a completely blank screen.

cjake

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014

2. Go to Accessibility

Thanks. I also set double tap to App switcher. I just can't get used to swipe up and hold to get to the App switcher.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
What you want seems a bit 'backwards'. You want is to bypass info (notifications), to get to a screen were you are require to use finger input, so what's the point? Options are good though.

Then again, to be able to customize all these things would be awesome. It does seem restricted and weak the way it is presently, and slow to change.

Of course, I'm just a very light user, so there's that :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.