Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I fired up Fallout 4 this morning - I decided to do another play through - mostly vanilla, no mods though I may change my mind as I move on.

I'm just trying to get my sea legs, so to speak, as there are differences between fallout 4 and fallout 76, i.e., vats, dialog, even SPECIAL progression.

I opted for an older save where I was already out of the vault - saved me a bunch of time that I didn't need to waste.

The loading screens are so slow - I forgot about that, wow

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just finished the first major quest as a minute man - clearing out the Corvega factory. Wow, its been a while where I was a low level needing to slowly work my way through, hiding and peeking out to pop off one shot. It was fun, though time consuming

Edit: I went to Jamaica Plain to get the full set of combat armor (no need to wait until level 25), but the ghouls there are so over powerful for me as a level 9. I spent the better part of an hour slowly trying to pick each off w/o getting overwhelmed by a mob.

Unlike 76, I need to get into the habit of saving often.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just finished the first major quest as a minute man - clearing out the Corvega factory. Wow, its been a while where I was a low level needing to slowly work my way through, hiding and peeking out to pop off one shot. It was fun, though time consuming

Edit: I went to Jamaica Plain to get the full set of combat armor (no need to wait until level 25), but the ghouls there are so over powerful for me as a level 9. I spent the better part of an hour slowly trying to pick each off w/o getting overwhelmed by a mob.

Unlike 76, I need to get into the habit of saving often.
First time I did Corvega it seemed like it took forever to get through. I’ve got it memorized now and it’s not nearly as big. :) Who is you companion?

I don’t remember the armor set at Jamaica Plain. I do remember the treasure quest though. For those trying to remember it is the smallest settlement in the game, located in a neighborhood with barely any dirt around to grow crops.. I like the scrap everything mod because you can use that to open it up a bit.

i also don’t think I could go back to the binary choice of be with the Institute or blow it up, hence I will continue to rely of the content mod that opens these choices up. Allowing heavy duty modding in it’s games was a stellar choice by Bethesda, or whoever they are now.

I’ve confessed before that I when I start now I give myself a modded semi-automatic pistol and basically a one shot 50 caliber modded sniper rifle so it’s not that hard to handle anything the early game throws at me, armor or not. i just like the feeling of not working too hard being a pretend bad ass. :D

The number one thing I cherish about Fallout 4 is operating in a pristine world, not polluted by other gaming tourists. It’s my story, it’s not an online theme park.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Who is you companion?
No companion, not even dog meat. Complete solo
i also don’t think I could go back to the binary choice
I don't mind, I find the story line engaging enough and the choice of the Institute/BOS/Railroad/Minutemen

when I start now I give myself a modded semi-automatic pistol and basically a one shot 50 caliber modded sniper rifle so it’s not that hard to handle anything the early game throws at me, armor or not. i just like the feeling of not working too hard being a pretend bad ass. :D
Being on the PC, the temptation to pull up the console is there, to be sure but there's something to be said about playing as a low level and struggling. I'm really enjoying the need to juggle different weapons and conserve ammo

With that said, there are decent weapons available in the game that you can get without waiting.
A powerful sniper rifle in Cambridge on the roof of the Red Rocket.
Combat rifle in Revere but easy city downs on the beach

What I'm struck with is the density of the game, I'm so used to 76 that is more spread out. In FO4, there's so much detail, lore and information. Its really enjoyable to re-discover a lot of the details and lore.

• Love
Reactions: Huntn

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I fired up Fallout 4 this morning - I decided to do another play through - mostly vanilla, no mods though I may change my mind as I move on.

I'm just trying to get my sea legs, so to speak, as there are differences between fallout 4 and fallout 76, i.e., vats, dialog, even SPECIAL progression.

I opted for an older save where I was already out of the vault - saved me a bunch of time that I didn't need to waste.

The loading screens are so slow - I forgot about that, wow

You need this to fix the slow loading bug (remember, it's a Bugthesda game and therefore released when 50% complete, and the rest of it gets fixed by the fan community): https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/44798

Technically if you are running at 60fps or lower you only need the load accelerating functions. You can configure it by editing an ini file.

Reactions: Huntn and maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Plugging away, up to level 21, did the major quest line for the minuteman. I've been doing the BOS quests, that you do in cambridge police station. I just started Railroad quest line. I'm getting close to re-starting the main questline.

I've yet to decide which faction to align myself with and how to proceed. I usually side with the railroad, but I think since its been a long time since I've played the game. I'll make sure I save the game at the juncture where you decide and then select the institute, RR, and BOS. The minutemen faction is weak, I usually ignore that one.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Plugging away, up to level 21, did the major quest line for the minuteman. I've been doing the BOS quests, that you do in cambridge police station. I just started Railroad quest line. I'm getting close to re-starting the main questline.

I've yet to decide which faction to align myself with and how to proceed. I usually side with the railroad, but I think since its been a long time since I've played the game. I'll make sure I save the game at the juncture where you decide and then select the institute, RR, and BOS. The minutemen faction is weak, I usually ignore that one.
You are making me want to jump into this again! :D
As a refresher/spoiler warning if you don’t want to be reminded-

The game tries to funnel you towards picking a single faction, but you probably remember by not continuing certain quest lines the ones that warn you about turning a faction into an enemy, you can stay friends with Minutemen, Railroad, and surprisingly the BoS even if you end up actively killing them (BoS) in a particular significant fight when that warning is not presented. You also kill Institute soldiers in the same fight and somehow it is not recognized by the Institute.

I’ve pondered siding with the Institute, but it forces me to give up too much, turn on so many people I would call friends (not so much the BoS, they are too militaristic and intolerant for me*) and when role playing it just tears me up discovering the fate of my child,
what he has become, the guy who chose to let you roam in the wilderness.

* One outstanding content mod, allow you to transform them.

The other emotional story twist is
Paladin Dance, so confident in himself and his purpose in life, then Wammo! and you can save his life. There are reports online that he can become a companion, but I’ve not been able to accomplish that. I can save his life, but not get him as a companion.

Last edited:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I'm actually testing a hardcore survival playthrough (with plenty of extra difficulty mods added as well) with only Dogmeat (mostly) in FO4VR right now. At level 9 and still getting my arse handed to me by lowly ferals (even with Dogmeat's help). Once I get the full mod configuration down I'll probably restart fresh - I'm still testing my mod configuration currently. I think I'm about 90% complete. If you thought FO4 was trouble, try the VR version. Unbelievably broken out of the box. But I've got it looking great and actually feeling dangerous. Running of out ammo, running out of food, running out of meds, hitting random pockets of rads all over the place. Spending almost every cap I get on the basics of just surviving. Lots of sneaking and running away or not-engaging in the first place. The whole thing feels very dangerous. Far from the usual walk-in-the-park that is FO4. I've forced it to look darn good, which was a real lesson in torture as the VR version runs very poorly and looks absolutely awful vanilla. Part of the problem is that it's rendering at just over 5000x4500 pixels, TWICE, on my rig, but mostly it's just a really bad VR title right out of the box:

Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.50.47 AM copy.png Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.51.19 AM copy.png Screen Shot 2023-03-19 at 9.52.02 AM copy.png

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm actually testing a hardcore survival playthrough (with plenty of extra difficulty mods added as well) with only Dogmeat (mostly) in FO4VR right now. At level 9 and still getting my arse handed to me by lowly ferals (even with Dogmeat's help). Once I get the full mod configuration down I'll probably restart fresh - I'm still testing my mod configuration currently. I think I'm about 90% complete. If you thought FO4 was trouble, try the VR version. Unbelievably broken out of the box. But I've got it looking great and actually feeling dangerous. Running of out ammo, running out of food, running out of meds, hitting random pockets of rads all over the place. Spending almost every cap I get on the basics of just surviving. Lots of sneaking and running away or not-engaging in the first place. The whole thing feels very dangerous. Far from the usual walk-in-the-park that is FO4. I've forced it to look darn good, which was a real lesson in torture as the VR version runs very poorly and looks absolutely awful vanilla. Part of the problem is that it's rendering at just over 5000x4500 pixels, TWICE, on my rig, but mostly it's just a really bad VR title right out of the box:

View attachment 2188315 View attachment 2188316 View attachment 2188317
I’ve never liked gameplay where it feels like a job. One of the best ways to ruin my immersion in a game is when I’m playing a bad ass who keeps getting his ass handed to him. :D

Nice looking trees in your screenshots. Which mod did you use? I used a greener commonwealth mod which helped a little. One of my beefs in the game was the idea that 200 years later a forest of dead trees would be standing. It should a fresh new forest or if irrepairably irradiated, a moonscape, or warped and stunted growth of whatever vegetation decided to grow.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm actually testing a hardcore survival playthrough
You're a better man then I am. My personal philosophy in game playing is to have the game on easy mode and enjoy the immersion as @Huntn mention. This play through, I have it set to normal, for no particular eason.

At this point in my game play, I'm a level 31, which opened up most of the rifleman perks (3 stars) and I think I'm 3 stars on the handgun perk as well. As for game play, I'm mostly done doing Minutemen quests - they get tiring and annoying after a while. I'm probably 1/2 done with the Railroad quests. I'm pretty close to picking up the main quest line.

One thing I'm debating is with Nuka World DLC - do I want to align myself with Raiders or kill them? To be honest, I've largely enjoyed siding with the Raiders, and it fits really well if you have Cait as your companion (Which I don't). If I had Cait earlier in the game - if memory serves me - she dislikes the Minutemen quests, so that's one reason to not have her. Another reason is just that I'm enjoying the solo play through.

Its been a really enjoyable play through, I tend to spend an hour in the morning and sometimes my lunch hour playing, so I've made some headway in the game.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You're a better man then I am. My personal philosophy in game playing is to have the game on easy mode and enjoy the immersion as @Huntn mention. This play through, I have it set to normal, for no particular eason.

At this point in my game play, I'm a level 31, which opened up most of the rifleman perks (3 stars) and I think I'm 3 stars on the handgun perk as well. As for game play, I'm mostly done doing Minutemen quests - they get tiring and annoying after a while. I'm probably 1/2 done with the Railroad quests. I'm pretty close to picking up the main quest line.

One thing I'm debating is with Nuka World DLC - do I want to align myself with Raiders or kill them? To be honest, I've largely enjoyed siding with the Raiders, and it fits really well if you have Cait as your companion (Which I don't). If I had Cait earlier in the game - if memory serves me - she dislikes the Minutemen quests, so that's one reason to not have her. Another reason is just that I'm enjoying the solo play through.

Its been a really enjoyable play through, I tend to spend an hour in the morning and sometimes my lunch hour playing, so I've made some headway in the game.
NuKa World- No I am not going to put Commonwealth Settlements under my thumb. I play along with their villainy and when that line is crossed I kill them all, mostly because they want to kill me. I’d be willing to let them change their ways but they won’t and don’t, it’s a fight to the death except for the prisoners you save, which makes it worth it. :)

Cait tolerates the Minutemen quest and will still fall in love with you. She is my favorite companion, I love her fire in combat and her accent. Although, if I could finagle it, I’d set up a plural relationship with both her and Piper at my Hot Springs settlement (content mod). :D

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Glorious Female mod brings fulfillment to this idea.
I’ll take a peek! My last several play thoughs, I used Bodyslide an application often packaged alongside Caliente's Beautiful Bodies Enhancer (CBBE). That might not be the right link, look at this too:

For anyone who is not familiar, the fallout characters are created with their underwear built as part of them. If you want to see them in a swimsuit or something more revealing, there is just no way to do this without using a mod that basically replaces their underwear stitched-on bodies, with fresh, nicely proportioned nude bodies. For anyone considering using this body mod, this could be important to success as the mod is complicated, at least I remember it as complicated:

Since I prefer the Sanctuary Hot Sprngs Home mod as my home base, it includes an outdoor hotub and waterfall, and the last thing I want to see are the residents having to lounge in their never washed survival underwear. Surely the Commonwealth with the technical advances they have recovered over the last 200 years, could produce a fresh supply under shorts or swimming attire. Moders have jumped in where Bethesda let us down. :D

FD0274BC-02E0-4B13-A717-0D8FB24EC98D.jpeg
Caliente's Beautiful Body Enhancer​

Last edited:
Reactions: hwojtek

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
NuKa World- No I am not going to put Commonwealth Settlements under my thumb. I play along with their villainy and when that line is crossed I kill them all, mostly because they want to kill me. I’d be willing to let them change their ways but they won’t and don’t, it’s a fight to the death except for the prisoners you save, which makes it worth it. :)

Cait tolerates the Minutemen quest and will still fall in love with you. She is my favorite companion, I love her fire in combat and her accent. Although, if I could finagle it, I’d set up a plural relationship with both her and Piper at my Hot Springs settlement (content mod). :D
@maflynn, because of her bad girl/criminal affinity, I'll confirm I made sure Cait was my companion at NukaWorld before, and just before the hammer drops, I switched her with Piper. In game when I leave Cait at the settlement taking Piper with me, she usually suggests to Piper a threesome, and Piper tells her something like Keep dreaming or In your dreams lol. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I’ve never liked gameplay where it feels like a job. One of the best ways to ruin my immersion in a game is when I’m playing a bad ass who keeps getting his ass handed to him. :D

Nice looking trees in your screenshots. Which mod did you use? I used a greener commonwealth mod which helped a little. One of my beefs in the game was the idea that 200 years later a forest of dead trees would be standing. It should a fresh new forest or if irreparably irradiated, a moonscape, or warped and stunted growth of whatever vegetation decided to grow.

Everyone likes & dislikes different aspects. I don't enjoy games that aren't a challenge, period. If it's easy then to me it's just a waste of time and I'll get easily bored, even though I'm am very much an immersion junkie. (BTW, current Cyberpunk 2077 is very, very good if you like open-world RPGs with a strong main story.) To me what feels like "work" are the infinite fetch-quests and other horrible filler game companies now add to make their titles "longer." I vastly prefer title with a strong story *and* open-world(ish) mechanics over randomly generated "please go pick up my groceries for me, and then do it 100 more times but with slightly different wording" filler. Really, it isn't drudgery, it's a "quest," we promise! I find Skyrim to be almost mind-numbingly boring, for example, while others absolute adore it. I would have liked it FAR better with 25% of the total content, but that 25% being really strong; great voice acting, amazing script, etc. (Think DAO but way more open-world.)

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas possibly inhabit the perfect blend of RPG, Narrative, and Open-World. FO4, as much as I like it, has a TON of filler and that filler isn't well done.

I'm mostly done with a VR makeover that I'll probably publish on Nexus as a mod-list with instructions once I've played through the entire main-plot to make sure nothing breaks.

But the visual makeover mods you are seeing in my screenshots will work with the flat version just fine and are mostly due to:

Vivid Fallout: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1769
Far Harbor Style Commonwealth: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38327
Another Pine Forest: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/54027
Starlight Drive-in and Diner - Lighting: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10089

Note that I've very carefully chosen things that work best in VR, where there is zero performance to spare. If you have plenty of available performance to spare you can find alternatives that might look slightly better or give you more options. You can also light many other aspects of the signage with a variety of illumination mods, if you choose to do so.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Everyone likes & dislikes different aspects. I don't enjoy games that aren't a challenge, period. If it's easy then to me it's just a waste of time and I'll get easily bored, even though I'm am very much an immersion junkie. (BTW, current Cyberpunk 2077 is very, very good if you like open-world RPGs with a strong main story.) To me what feels like "work" are the infinite fetch-quests and other horrible filler game companies now add to make their titles "longer." I vastly prefer title with a strong story *and* open-world(ish) mechanics over randomly generated "please go pick up my groceries for me, and then do it 100 more times but with slightly different wording" filler. Really, it isn't drudgery, it's a "quest," we promise! I find Skyrim to be almost mind-numbingly boring, for example, while others absolute adore it. I would have liked it FAR better with 25% of the total content, but that 25% being really strong; great voice acting, amazing script, etc. (Think DAO but way more open-world.)

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas possibly inhabit the perfect blend of RPG, Narrative, and Open-World. FO4, as much as I like it, has a TON of filler and that filler isn't well done.

I'm mostly done with a VR makeover that I'll probably publish on Nexus as a mod-list with instructions once I've played through the entire main-plot to make sure nothing breaks.

But the visual makeover mods you are seeing in my screenshots will work with the flat version just fine and are mostly due to:

Starlight Drive-in and Diner - Lighting: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10089

Note that I've very carefully chosen things that work best in VR, where there is zero performance to spare. If you have plenty of available performance to spare you can find alternatives that might look slightly better or give you more options. You can also light many other aspects of the signage with a variety of illumination mods, if you choose to do so.
Thanks for the links!

My observation is that we each have our own perception of what is challenging and what is enjoyable. I ended up playing CP2077 on hard, because normal was too easy for me. Yet I hate having to scrounge for ammo, this happened to me in F4 where 50cal rifle ammo was scares, until I started giving myself bullets via the consol.

However this was not an issue in CP2077 where just by my normal routine of hitting every report of criminality in the city, I was always well stocked for my pistol, besides the fact that my Katana is my primary weapon, no need to feed it bullets. :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Interesting links. I think in real life, we'd probably see more trees, and a denser forest, so that pine forest mod, makes a lot of sense. For instance, in New Hampshire, they largely deforested the entire white mountain area in the second half of the 19th century. NH then passed Weeks Act in 1911 and in under a century the forest rebounded. My point is we'd probably see a lot more forest growth in FO4 given the 200+ year passage.

As for game play, I'm really enjoying this play through, I'm about to enter the Institute, I'm having a difficulty picking which faction to build the relay with. I've really been hating the BOS, in this play through but I like the idea of going with them, and then bouncing over to the railroad - since I'm not at the point of needing to pick a faction yet. It just makes more logical sense that only the BOS being closes technology wise with the institute could build the relay. The minutemen and railroad shouldn't have the means or ability.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

The Far Harbor Style Commonwealth is really appealing. I love the atmosphere, it kind of reminds me how I might imagine a future, 200 years in the future. Do the city areas have the same foggy look all the time?

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
The Far Harbor Style Commonwealth is really appealing. I love the atmosphere, it kind of reminds me how I might imagine a future, 200 years in the future. Do the city areas have the same foggy look all the time?
The main areas are foggy most of the time, and even when it is sunny there is a bit of lingering fog. I do not know if the mod covers NukaWorld as I have yet to get there in this playthrough.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The main areas are foggy most of the time, and even when it is sunny there is a bit of lingering fog. I do not know if the mod covers NukaWorld as I have yet to get there in this playthrough.
What I would like is more variable weather in the Commonwealth, but after thinking about my time in Far Harbor, I would not want dense fog as the normal, but it would be nice to have things vary. I hate to admit this but off hand I don’t remember if it ever rained, and although I want to say there was a day night cycle, I can’t remember seeing it as a dynamic gradual process. :oops:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
What I would like is more variable weather in the Commonwealth, but after thinking about my time in Far Harbor, I would not want dense fog as the normal, but it would be nice to have things vary. I hate to admit this but off hand I don’t remember if it ever rained, and although I want to say there was a day night cycle, I can’t remember seeing it as a dynamic gradual process. :oops:

You probably want TrueStorms Wasteland Edition. It's fantastic. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4472

Certain limitations in VR mean it wasn't the right weather mod in my case, but for flat FO4 it's great.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Pet peeve - loading screens. Now that I'm fully into the game, I've needed to travel to the prydwen, which is particulalry painful, where you need to 3 load screens just to get the to main deck, and of course leaving is another set of three load screens. Each one taking an extended amount of time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Pet peeve - loading screens. Now that I'm fully into the game, I've needed to travel to the prydwen, which is particulalry painful, where you need to 3 load screens just to get the to main deck, and of course leaving is another set of three load screens. Each one taking an extended amount of time.
I don’t remember it taking that long to load, but 3 loads, yep, a pain. Interesting that in some buildings you could go up and down stairs to different levels and avoid screen loads as I recall? Maybe it was the way the Prydwen was constructed, all that geometry…

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You probably want TrueStorms Wasteland Edition. It's fantastic. https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4472

Certain limitations in VR mean it wasn't the right weather mod in my case, but for flat FO4 it's great.
I have an Occulus, I want to love VR, but I try it, am wowed by the tech, and then withdraw from it. For the average game, I take a piece of paper, fold it in half, and start writing control notes, which keys do what, which keys I have programmed into my Nostromo and Mouse. I look at this piece of paper until I establish the muscle memory or as a refresher for when I need to use an infrequent key. VR cuts me off from this process. Some games need quite a few keys on both devices. And for F4, I frequently was accessing the console.

Ok, so the Occulus has it’s own hand held controllers with just a few inputs, so as I’ve not tried VR F4 I wonder how I would square that with my usual routine.🤔

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I have an Occulus, I want to love VR, but I try it, am wowed by the tech, and then withdraw from it. For the average game, I take a piece of paper, fold it in half, and start writing control notes, which keys do what, which keys I have programmed into my Nostromo and Mouse. I look at this piece of paper until I establish the muscle memory or as a refresher for when I need to use an infrequent key. VR cuts me off from this process. Some games need quite a few keys on both devices. And for F4, I frequently was accessing the console.

Ok, so the Occulus has it’s own hand held controllers with just a few inputs, so as I’ve not tried VR F4 I wonder how I would square that with my usual routine.🤔

Yep. Especially with poor ports of flat games (Fallout 4VR and Skyrim VR), or when using vorpX or SuperDepthVR etc., then it can be a pretty frustrating process. But it can be done. There is no doubt, however, that really good dedicated VR titles can be amazing. Lone Echo, Alyx, The Walking Dead, Moss, etc. Some truly amazing stuff with controls that are intuitive and work incredibly well (most of the time). Mind you I run a very high-end VR setup, which has the disadvantage of being a total PITA to get working well but the advantage of being flabbergastingly good when all is working properly. I can, and do, bring my 4090 to its pitiful knees on a routing basis, making the best gaming card currently produced weep and beg for mercy. 😂 A lot of the issues that pull a person out of full VR experiences feeling "real" are already being addressed at the top-tier of VR. No SDE, very close to full human FOV, etc. My suggestion to everyone who isn't really into 3D and VR is to use only native VR titles and leave the rest for flat gaming. Or, if you push a flat title to your HMD just use a standard game controller, not a motion controller. I haven't flat-gamed for over a dozen years now except for exceptions like Gerda a Flame in Winter and Disco Elysium. Even if I'm not wearing my HMD I'm pushing titles into stereoscopic mode on my 3D display.

• Love
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.