Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Because Bethesda said so
View attachment 2368507

This update has long been in the works, I believe they mentioned this some time last year with the an eye to releasing it late 2023 or early 2024 but it got delayed. As for the impact of the New London, Bethesda isn't going to change their release schedule for a mod.

no, i couldnt have explained myself well in either point, i meant how do they know that it will break mods, and that if it would then the Mods of Fallout London would change their release date. I came into the thread just now to apologise, as the Mods of Fallout London have just now announced a delay as they wait to see how the update affects it. seems to say it will but only until the makers of Fallout Script Extender update their software.

Carter concluded the announcement with a reference to that classic Fallout line: “War. War never changes.” "As soon as we've fixed it, it'll drop," Carter said, "but yeah, Bethesda. Bethesda never changes."

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
i meant how do they know that it will break mods,
Ahh, gotcha. I think the thinking is that there's changes to the Creation Club, presumably to offer more paid mods. They recently did this with Skyrim and it broke the mods. So I think the concern is that Fallout 4's update is going to have a negative impact on mods outside of the creation club

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ahh, gotcha. I think the thinking is that there's changes to the Creation Club, presumably to offer more paid mods. They recently did this with Skyrim and it broke the mods. So I think the concern is that Fallout 4's update is going to have a negative impact on mods outside of the creation club
Exactly! Hence the anger. I went ahead and pruchased the $10 DRM free version on GOG.com,and hopefully it will be free of creation club, or at least avoid this upcoming update. I installed it and set it to not update. Fingers crossed.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
This post is a huge plot spoiler for the Franchise TV Series, concerning why it’s a post-armageddon world. Also asked in the series thread under a plot spoiler tag.

In the show, Cooper’s Wife, an executive in Vault Tech pre-destruction, mentions in a private meeting that a nuclear event was needed to shape their plans for the future of the human race. So was the plot to blow up the world from the game, as described, a plot by Vault Tech to shape the world, or were they just ready to shape the world when the inevitable came? Anyone know if that come from the vaults of Bethesda lore ? Or was it from the shows writers?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The update has landed, I had little bit trouble firing the game up. I thought it was due to some manual changes in the prefs.ini but after uninstalling, reditting the prefs file to accomodate my resolution I found it was the mod that was deleted with the uninstall

I'm unsure if I'll start a fresh game or just pick up where I left off (about 3/4 of the game is done)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I started a new play through on my PS5, wanted to see how it behaved on a modern console with this latest patch. After I emerged from vault 111 I was assaulted with a myriad of new quests - very interesting. I'm looking forward to doing these. I don't know if these quests are for low/mid/high level. I'll have to do some googling I suppose.

The only downside/upside to playing on the PS5 is the lack of cheating. I cannot pull up the console. I didn't do that often, but sometimes the temptation was too much if I needed x amount of caps and I wasn't in the mood for grinding, or I wanted the combat armor early, there's a set Somerville (I think that's the location) but there's a lot of high level ghouls there and its nearly impossible as a low level to make your way through - unless you type tgm in the console. So that temptation was always there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Playing Fallout 4 on my PS5, is like meeting an old friend, that's how I always used to play it and its been a really nice experience.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So frustrating, I finished up Fallout NV, and switched over my desk setup from my Razer back to my desktop (Ryzen 3700X/RX 7800 XT) and the game crashes to desktop after the hitting the play button from the launcher - the exact same issue I had with NV. This seems more like a Driver issue then anything else.

I'll probably keep playing on my PS5, but the problem there is, that other people want to use the TV and so my play time is impacted. I don't know if I have the intestinal fortitude to keep working on this problem, but the frustrating part is the game was working on this PC, just a month ago. I may see about finding some older drivers and seeing if that fixes it.

At the moment I uninstalled the game, deleted the game folders and trying to start fresh

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Too some work, but I found the November 2023 version of the drivers work with both Fallout 4 and Fallout NV. I'm off like a heard of turtles at this point :)

I'm happy to see that I can play Fallout 4 on my PC

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I started a new play through on my PS5, wanted to see how it behaved on a modern console with this latest patch. After I emerged from vault 111 I was assaulted with a myriad of new quests - very interesting. I'm looking forward to doing these. I don't know if these quests are for low/mid/high level. I'll have to do some googling I suppose.

The only downside/upside to playing on the PS5 is the lack of cheating. I cannot pull up the console. I didn't do that often, but sometimes the temptation was too much if I needed x amount of caps and I wasn't in the mood for grinding, or I wanted the combat armor early, there's a set Somerville (I think that's the location) but there's a lot of high level ghouls there and its nearly impossible as a low level to make your way through - unless you type tgm in the console. So that temptation was always there ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Playing Fallout 4 on my PS5, is like meeting an old friend, that's how I always used to play it and its been a really nice experience.
thats a good way of describing it, meeting an old friend.

i have started a brand new game, and enjoying it so far. it doesnt have the excitement of playing a game for the first time, but its very relaxing. Flicking between this and the dlcs for RE7.

havent tried the new mini missions yet, tbh enjoying starting off with a better base in sanctuary, making sure i have food and water piling in early. Also finding im naturally falling into my old rules, for example i only use Power Armour to complete specific missions that ive failed to complete and figure i cant do at present level without it.

when Fallout London is here, ill fire it up on the imac.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Too some work, but I found the November 2023 version of the drivers work with both Fallout 4 and Fallout NV. I'm off like a heard of turtles at this point :)

I'm happy to see that I can play Fallout 4 on my PC
What driver version are you using?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What driver version are you using?
It was the latest version, now I went back to the November 2023 version
1714473987338.png

And that seems to be working

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So one of the new quests (I think they're from the Creation Club) is Speak of the Devil. IF you're starting out a new game, don't start this quest. You get access to some cool gear, like an X-02 power armor and some nice plasma weapons BUT and its a big BUT. Its an endgame quest, not for someone who's a level 9.

I made the mistake of doing that, and while the beginning part of the quest was doable as a low level, the rest isn't. You have enemies coming up on you when you don't expect it in powerful X-02 PA and an incinerator and napalmer weapons. I think I lasted about 3 seconds when they jumped me. It only gets harder there on out.

I can see this being a fun or interesting side quest late in the game but I just hit level 9 so I had to pull an prior save and not even start that quest.

By the way, there's a full set of Combat armor in
Jamaica Plain - the town hall building on the second floor
While the location is full of ghouls they're high level ghouls, and going to the town too soon can be a bit frustrating. I found having a lot of Molotov cocktails and stimpacks will get you through the town. I believe if you don't get this armor, it won't start appearing until level 25 I think

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nice, that is my one gripe about older DX games (well DX in general).
I've heard a number of complaints about the 2024 updates to the AMD drivers, I updated them as an attempt to help performance in Starfield. I haven't played that game in a while, so I'm kind of curious to see if things are wonky there now that I have an older driver

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Being an anti-grind kind of guy I live and breath by the console. 😄

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
April 2024 Update-
Apologies if repeating myself.
I’ve been away from my PC, before I left on my trip, before the update dropped I started afresh game, with my 20 some mods, and they where all working.

I purchased the GoG version on sale, set to not update, installed it and started a game. With Nexus Mod manager, I switched the source location for the game to the GoG version, but the mods don’t appear there. Note, the Steam version is still installed and not sure if this confuses Nexus. 🤔 I’m a bit rusty about if the mods actually install in the game, or just throw a reference file in the game’s mod folder? 🤔

So when I get back, if mods still work in the Steam version, I’ll stick with that.
If that does not work, plan B is too install mods into the GoG version using Vortex, a newer version of Nexus. The problem here is that some mods require configuring like Caliente’s Beautiful Body mod, along with Body Slide which I’m not anxious to repeat. But if necessary, I’ll go though the trouble.

I want the Body mod, because I have a hot tub (Sanctuary Hot Springs Home- mod), and have my women dressed in swimsuits (to get in the hot tub) which are not compatible with the original character architecture. In fact, in the original version of the game characters in their original form, the underwear is built into the model and they all look like they are wearing dirty underwear, which is not appealing at all.

However, with the version of the game just before the new update, it looks like character models have been updated (Steam) and they are not wearing dirty underwear, but something more modern, yet it’s not a bathing suit, and I’m not talking about skimpy bikinis, just average looking and colorful, 2 piece suits. 🙂

More to come! 😄

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
With Nexus Mod manager,
I run hot and cold on this, I have played with mods, at one point quite a lot, but I get some level of enjoyment by playing vanilla. I am waiting to play the Fallout London mod, that looks rather cool.

As for my status, I just made it to level 16, I completed taking Independence, I have started the BOS questline though I have not begun the Lost Patrol. I want to wait until level 18, so I can increase the Rifleman perk to level 3. That way I can deal more damage to the super mutants at Revere Satellite Array. I usually stay far away and pick them off with my sniper rifle.

Things that seem different in the game, small items, such as enemies following you. I was near the turnpike where enemies on beneath me. I killed the lookout on the ground level and I was surprised that the raiders climbed the stairs and attacked me. That never happened before - not a big deal, just different.

Loading screens are still slow, but on the PC, they used to hang, and I would have to alt tab to the desktop, then alt tab back and that would fix it - weird issue, right? Anyways that's no longer happening. This issue occurred regardless of GPU, and drivers, its been happening since the day I bought FO4 for the PC.

Overall the improvements are not earthshattering but have increased the QoL, plus the extra quests look to be fun

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I run hot and cold on this, I have played with mods, at one point quite a lot, but I get some level of enjoyment by playing vanilla. I am waiting to play the Fallout London mod, that looks rather cool.

As for my status, I just made it to level 16, I completed taking Independence, I have started the BOS questline though I have not begun the Lost Patrol. I want to wait until level 18, so I can increase the Rifleman perk to level 3. That way I can deal more damage to the super mutants at Revere Satellite Array. I usually stay far away and pick them off with my sniper rifle.

Things that seem different in the game, small items, such as enemies following you. I was near the turnpike where enemies on beneath me. I killed the lookout on the ground level and I was surprised that the raiders climbed the stairs and attacked me. That never happened before - not a big deal, just different.

Loading screens are still slow, but on the PC, they used to hang, and I would have to alt tab to the desktop, then alt tab back and that would fix it - weird issue, right? Anyways that's no longer happening. This issue occurred regardless of GPU, and drivers, its been happening since the day I bought FO4 for the PC.

Overall the improvements are not earthshattering but have increased the QoL, plus the extra quests look to be fun
We’ve talked about it before. The Depravity and Project Valkyrie are pretty amazing content mods. If I can’t get them to work with the Patch, I’ll probably go with Plan B as previously described.

Making the AI a little more aggressive and aware, could be a good thing in a combat situation.:) I’m wondering if in the Vega (?) Auto Plant from how far away will they come for you. 🤔 In some cases, from a sniper perch, this could make some combat situations easier as you pick them off. I’ll admit that having a 50cal sniper rifle takes off a lot of heat in combat. Most enemies except the super ones are one shot kills.

Last edited:

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Interesting video regarding Fallout 4 and Fallout London

enjoyed that and great news that F4SE is already updated albeit in a beta version they admit is flaky.

as a counter, I found it interesting what Fallout Cascadia said. not to say one is wrong and one is right, and of course its harder when your release date is so much closer. but then Cascadia have a point that it should have been figured out that it would likely be released to coincide with the tv series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.