Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yep. Especially with poor ports of flat games (Fallout 4VR and Skyrim VR), or when using vorpX or SuperDepthVR etc., then it can be a pretty frustrating process. But it can be done. There is no doubt, however, that really good dedicated VR titles can be amazing. Lone Echo, Alyx, The Walking Dead, Moss, etc. Some truly amazing stuff with controls that are intuitive and work incredibly well (most of the time). Mind you I run a very high-end VR setup, which has the disadvantage of being a total PITA to get working well but the advantage of being flabbergastingly good when all is working properly. I can, and do, bring my 4090 to its pitiful knees on a routing basis, making the best gaming card currently produced weep and beg for mercy. 😂 A lot of the issues that pull a person out of full VR experiences feeling "real" are already being addressed at the top-tier of VR. No SDE, very close to full human FOV, etc. My suggestion to everyone who isn't really into 3D and VR is to use only native VR titles and leave the rest for flat gaming. Or, if you push a flat title to your HMD just use a standard game controller, not a motion controller. I haven't flat-gamed for over a dozen years now except for exceptions like Gerda a Flame in Winter and Disco Elysium. Even if I'm not wearing my HMD I'm pushing titles into stereoscopic mode on my 3D display.
Lone Echo wowed the hell out of me seeing what can be accomplished in VR. :D

1BE425C4-6450-4611-8181-3846803C79EC.jpeg

You are there, surrounded by the environment…​

Reactions: maflynn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
So I decided to back track on my play through - as I finished the Nuka world DLC I had sided with the raiders, but that was starting to bother me. I hadn't gotten too far into my normal game play and so pulled the save right where I was to choose the raiders and invade the commonwealth.

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One thing I noticed is that by level 47, you've maxed out all of the damage increasing perks. I've enjoyed rocking with an explosive revolver and even though I've play this game hundreds of times, but earlier today, I bumped into a vault 81 NPC out in the commonwealth - I can't recall seeing them before.

This game is so rich and deep, its always fun, and while Fallout 76 has enjoyed a resurgence, it lacks the same level of deep story telling and RPG. One of my main complaints of 76 is that the past couple of years all new updates, have introduced new events. In fact a new event has started yesterday. From what I can see on reddit from time to time, I'm not alone in wanting more RPG type content, like what they did wastelanders and BOS steel rain updates.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
So I decided to back track on my play through - as I finished the Nuka world DLC I had sided with the raiders, but that was starting to bother me. I hadn't gotten too far into my normal game play and so pulled the save right where I was to choose the raiders and invade the commonwealth.
And so did you kill them to save the prisoners or just leave Nuka world? :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Quick trip down memory lane...

20190716200854_1 home.jpg
Happy at home

20200611140255_1.jpg
The old neighborhood

20190716211330_1.jpg
Fresh out of the vault...later

20200611171239_1.jpg
Commonwealth veteran

20200707232852_1.jpg
Meeting Piper outside Diamond City

20201226222957_1.jpg
Obtaining Cait's contract at the Combat Zone
note: this is a modded appearance Cait.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Quick trip down memory lane
Nice

I just destroyed the institute. As I sided with the railroad there's a handful of quests to do post, nuking but I don't know if I want to do them - I'm not feeling it right now.

I may want to go back to an older save and side with either BOS or institute. Plus I don't have Far Harbor active, I may fire that up and do that DLC, its been a while. I wasn't in love with that DLC but its been a long time, so maybe its time for a return

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nice

I just destroyed the institute. As I sided with the railroad there's a handful of quests to do post, nuking but I don't know if I want to do them - I'm not feeling it right now.

I may want to go back to an older save and side with either BOS or institute. Plus I don't have Far Harbor active, I may fire that up and do that DLC, its been a while. I wasn't in love with that DLC but its been a long time, so maybe its time for a return
I felt very somber watching the mushroom cloud...wondering why the hell did we do that? ;)

You probably remember my harping, but just in case, if you stop certain quests at certain points, you can nuke the Institute and remain friends with all 3 factions... or use a content mod to take over both the Institute and the BOS and live happily ever after, lol. If you want more about this, give a shout. :D

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Everyone likes & dislikes different aspects. I don't enjoy games that aren't a challenge, period. If it's easy then to me it's just a waste of time and I'll get easily bored, even though I'm am very much an immersion junkie. (BTW, current Cyberpunk 2077 is very, very good if you like open-world RPGs with a strong main story.) To me what feels like "work" are the infinite fetch-quests and other horrible filler game companies now add to make their titles "longer." I vastly prefer title with a strong story *and* open-world(ish) mechanics over randomly generated "please go pick up my groceries for me, and then do it 100 more times but with slightly different wording" filler. Really, it isn't drudgery, it's a "quest," we promise! I find Skyrim to be almost mind-numbingly boring, for example, while others absolute adore it. I would have liked it FAR better with 25% of the total content, but that 25% being really strong; great voice acting, amazing script, etc. (Think DAO but way more open-world.)

Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas possibly inhabit the perfect blend of RPG, Narrative, and Open-World. FO4, as much as I like it, has a TON of filler and that filler isn't well done.

I'm mostly done with a VR makeover that I'll probably publish on Nexus as a mod-list with instructions once I've played through the entire main-plot to make sure nothing breaks.

But the visual makeover mods you are seeing in my screenshots will work with the flat version just fine and are mostly due to:

Vivid Fallout: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1769
Far Harbor Style Commonwealth: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/38327
Another Pine Forest: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/54027
Starlight Drive-in and Diner - Lighting: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/10089

Note that I've very carefully chosen things that work best in VR, where there is zero performance to spare. If you have plenty of available performance to spare you can find alternatives that might look slightly better or give you more options. You can also light many other aspects of the signage with a variety of illumination mods, if you choose to do so.
I’ve installed the Another Pine Forest, the mod and a 2k texture pack, 2 seperate installs. Around Santuary, I’m not seeing any pine forests, do they appear in other places?

Question about True Storm, I see 2 video tapes, I can select a type of weather, like “overcast” or “clear” but I’d like the weather to cycle, does it do that automatically, or if you select something, it just stays that way until you select something else?

Thanks!

Huntn’s May 2023 Playthough post 1- spoilers follow for anyone who inconceivably has not played this (lol). I have started another playthough I have created a pretty new Sole Survivor, who looks shockingly similiar to the one before (image inbound) ;), and am using a pretty long list of mods, I’ll post them. I went over to Concord in search of the Minutemen (gee where could they be? :p) and ran across Sylvia (?) the little girl hanging out in the street trying to lure me to help her friend Murphy. I briefly considered the Murphy’s Law scenario, as a brand new character, and decided naw, I’ll fetch the Minutemen survivors back to Sanctuary, spilled the beans to Garvey that I was 200+ years old, and will probably go back to “help” Murphy.

I’ve got my modded Barret 50cal sniper rifle, but I’m proud to say I took down all the raiders with a pistol (it’s modded with a power of 35 instead of 18 damage). The DeathClaw that appears on the steets of Concord, got bored waiting for me and retreated to the sewers. I went after it in the powersuit that is available in this scenario.

i have been playing FarCry 5, and there is a distinct superior immersive feeling in the Commonwealth vs in Montana dealing with the Heaven’s Gate Cult. Now I admit, I am a fully assimilated Fallout 4 Fanboy. I will finish FarCry 5 no problem, but there are just no warm and fuzzies there.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
I’ve installed the Another Pine Forest, the mod and a 2k texture pack, 2 seperate installs. Around Santuary, I’m not seeing any pine forests, do they appear in other places?

Question about True Storm, I see 2 video tapes, I can select a type of weather, like “overcast” or “clear” but I’d like the weather to cycle, does it do that automatically, or if you select something, it just stays that way until you select something else?

Thanks!

Another Pine Forest should be working pretty much everywhere for you, but the FO4VR and regular FO4 game executables have diverged *considerably* as FO4VR is essentially abandonware with only the fan community supporting it (despite still being sold as a 'complete' product somehow.) It's very possible that what is working for me in FO4VR simply isn't going to work the same in flat FO4.

Most likely, however, is that you've got something else lower in load overwriting it, or for some reason it hasn't actually activated, so double-check both of those things. (You probably already knew that, since you are using a lot of mods.)

True Storms weather will cycle. You can control a lot of aspects of that, but there is no setting to make it stick to a specific weather only. Just wait it out a bit and the weather cycles should start. IIRC you can even control how fast the weather cycle. The TrueStorms rad storms are freaking amazing if you have the GPU to push all the eye-candy (god rays, etc.)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Another Pine Forest should be working pretty much everywhere for you, but the FO4VR and regular FO4 game executables have diverged *considerably* as FO4VR is essentially abandonware with only the fan community supporting it (despite still being sold as a 'complete' product somehow.) It's very possible that what is working for me in FO4VR simply isn't going to work the same in flat FO4.

Most likely, however, is that you've got something else lower in load overwriting it, or for some reason it hasn't actually activated, so double-check both of those things. (You probably already knew that, since you are using a lot of mods.)

True Storms weather will cycle. You can control a lot of aspects of that, but there is no setting to make it stick to a specific weather only. Just wait it out a bit and the weather cycles should start. IIRC you can even control how fast the weather cycle. The TrueStorms rad storms are freaking amazing if you have the GPU to push all the eye-candy (god rays, etc.)
The issue is that I've got some mods in the Bethesday mod area (part of the game), and some are being loaded through Nexus, which Bethesda as a rule does not see. In the Bethesda sponsored mods, I can easily control load order, but I'd have to research it to see how to control that for the Nexus Mod manager...
I just took a quick peak, and see a note about installing the textures first, then the mod, and I think I installed them in reverse. So I reinstalled them in the right order and will check if this makes a difference!

Update: I removed the healthier commonwealth mod incase that was interfering, still not seeing pine or aspen trees. :( Do you know how to change mod order in Nexus? I'll have to look that up.

Last edited:

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Unfortunately we are using two completely different mod systems. I've never used a single Bethesda mod from that entire modding ecosystem, I use all Nexus mods through Vortex or manual installs when needed. Changing load order through Vortex is pretty easy. (Most basic method is to change the category (Group) of a graphics-only mod like the various Pine Forest mods to a "late loader" - that's almost always safe with mods such as those.) You can also create custom links between mods (i.e. Another Pine Forest must always load after Mod X, that kind of thing. Part of Vortex is an automatic Mod sorting feature called LOOT. It's technically a separate project, but I think Vortex now does that automagically for you. It does a good job of auto-sorting so that everything just works. Here is a brief article on the Steam forums about load order management: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/3424437779943859298/

Thing is, you'll really need to research how to mix those two mod-install methods. I have no idea at all how that will work, or if it will work at all. Bethesda titles are incredibly fragile, so mixing different mod-managers may spell trouble. Others would know better that me.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Unfortunately we are using two completely different mod systems. I've never used a single Bethesda mod from that entire modding ecosystem, I use all Nexus mods through Vortex or manual installs when needed. Changing load order through Vortex is pretty easy. (Most basic method is to change the category (Group) of a graphics-only mod like the various Pine Forest mods to a "late loader" - that's almost always safe with mods such as those.) You can also create custom links between mods (i.e. Another Pine Forest must always load after Mod X, that kind of thing. Part of Vortex is an automatic Mod sorting feature called LOOT. It's technically a separate project, but I think Vortex now does that automagically for you. It does a good job of auto-sorting so that everything just works. Here is a brief article on the Steam forums about load order management: https://steamcommunity.com/app/377160/discussions/0/3424437779943859298/

Thing is, you'll really need to research how to mix those two mod-install methods. I have no idea at all how that will work, or if it will work at all. Bethesda titles are incredibly fragile, so mixing different mod-managers may spell trouble. Others would know better that me.
I’m not pretending to be an expert, but my impression is that Bethesda’s Mod manager which does have a load order just plops them in, in order. I assume Nexus Mod Manager does this too, but no clue on how they would intermix or if they see each other, so I don’t know if the NMM would load all of it’s mods before or after Bethesda’s or intermingle them.

i just know that I have the 2 Another Pine Forest mods installed, one is a trees only texture pack, and no pine forests appear. I could try the late loader trick to see if that changes anything if I can do that with Nexus Mod Manager, instead of Vortex. Or try Vortex and see if that makes any difference, or start a new game, and just load in the Nexus mods first see if it works, then take a chance on loading in a Bethesda mod. In this case I would not be loading any Bethesda environmental mods to hopefully avoid issues.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
@panjandrum, I took one of my F4 early saves prior to entering the vault and removed all the Bethesda sponsored mods to see if that would help but no pine forests appeared. It could be a load order issue which I have not figured out for Nexus Mod Manager. I‘d probably have to clean out the mod (data) folder of mod files, and create a new game. However I have been using the Healthier Commonwealth mod (Bethesda sponsored) which gives all the existing trees leaves and is good enough. 😑

Spaceboi Scaphandre

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2022
Going back, man Fallout 4 did not age well. What it did well with combat, failed in RPG mechanics. Making the player character fully voiced was a mistake, as that greatly limited dialogue options as well as mods since modders now had to add voice acting that didn't sound like your character.

Thank god Starfield is going back to the old Bethesda talking system we know and love.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Going back, man Fallout 4 did not age well.
I think it ages extremely well. Its still a wildly popular game, and one that you can play and replay so many times. I understand the downsides of using voices instead of text dialog, especially the impact to the modding community but modding is still alive and well in the fallout 4 world. I think this game aged very well.

1684938098352.png

• Love
Reactions: Huntn and hwojtek

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Going back, man Fallout 4 did not age well. What it did well with combat, failed in RPG mechanics. Making the player character fully voiced was a mistake, as that greatly limited dialogue options as well as mods since modders now had to add voice acting that didn't sound like your character.

Thank god Starfield is going back to the old Bethesda talking system we know and love.
We all have our perspectives, and I won’t argue RPG mechanics because you may have a point for that example, but this game, the story is wonderful, the environment, the music, the factions, the characters, and there are choices and character development/skills, all of it clicked for me and still clicks.

So I’ll say it aged just fine for my gaming needs although I’m happy to discuss it’s faults, which a primary one, set The Institute aside, is expecting the player to build junkyards for settlements (corrected with mods) while having all sort of modern technology out in the Commonwealth and the choice of be with the Institute or blow up the Institute destroying a cache of the most advanced tech in existence, also fixed with content mods. :D

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but this game, the story is wonderful, the environment, the music, the factions, the characters, and there are choices and character development/skills, all of it clicked for me and still clicks.
Its funny, but I fired up FO4 this morning (as I've been doing a play through) and it dawned on me that I've yet to visit a number of major locations and even quests. That's why I love this game. There's so much to do, that you never get to do all of it in a single play through.

As for the story, I think aside from Fallout New Vegas, its one of the more indepth stories that has so much lore everywhere, is incredible. I love the concept and plot. Having a secret group of people underground continuing their scientific endeavors, not dealing with the harshness of the wasteland looking to create a mankind 2.0

Compare that with the story line o Fallout 76 and its night and day. I feel the original storyline of fallout 76 is threadbare and lacks emotional connection. Once they re-added human NPCs and the wasteland DLC did the game improve markedly but story-wise its just not as deep as fallout 4.

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I was visiting my Son and Grandkids in Wichita this last week and my 13 year old Granddaughter has been trying to push Roblox on me. I’ve looked at it and have resisted, to many grind, pointless games. Yes, I know, @Spaceboi Scaphandre there are some supposedly decent games there, ;) but none that my grandkids play.

I casually mentioned Fallout 4, and my Grandaughter became very interested in it. I looked at it on Steam, Fallout 4 GOTY Edition $20, and at GOG.com $10 on sale, ano brainer. I helped her in the beginning with teminal, hacking, and am now waiting for a report on her impression, going strong, or faded fast. :D My presumption is that there are no RPGs on Roblox at that level. 🤔

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fallout Series due to drop April 2024...

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Fallout 4 Update scheduled for 25April24, adds some content and wide screen support, rejoice right? Apparantly not looking at the Steam Community forums, the rumor is that this update kills mods, there is much hate there. And the only way to stop this update on Steam is a game setting of “only updating the game when it is launched”, and turning off your internet connection before launching the game. I thought there used to be a Steam setting to turn off game updates, but I don’t see one now.

I felt strongly enough about this, I have purchased the DRM Free Fallout 4 GOTY version for $10 at GOG.com while it is on sale though 18April. GOG does have a setting to prevent game updates. 🤔

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Fallout 4 Update scheduled for 25April24, adds some content and wide screen support, rejoice right? Apparantly not looking at the Steam Community forums, the rumor is that this update kills mods, there is much hate there. And the only way to stop this update on Steam is a game setting of “only updating the game when it is launched”, and turning off your internet connection before launching the game. I thought there used to be a Steam setting to turn off game updates, but I don’t see one now.

I felt strongly enough about this, I have purchased the DRM Free Fallout 4 GOTY version for $10 at GOG.com while it is on sale though 18April. GOG does have a setting to prevent game updates. 🤔

How can anyone know this though ? And apart from it being unlikely in general fallout London is due out two days before it. . I’d think if the mods of that were worried they’d have already delayed the launch.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
How can anyone know this though ? And apart from it being unlikely in general fallout London is due out two days before it. . I’d think if the mods of that were worried they’d have already delayed the launch.
I can't say I know, but my guess is that people who do mods, know what these kind of changes can do to existing mods, if those mods are not updated. Since, I have a Steam version what will be updated, and a DRM free version, I can test the Steam version without fear and be ready to fall back on the GOG version. @Queen6 has been working with mods quite a bit lately, wondering if he has an input? Post #272.

Last edited:
Reactions: madeirabhoy

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
How can anyone know this though ?
Because Bethesda said so
1713174523226.png

This update has long been in the works, I believe they mentioned this some time last year with the an eye to releasing it late 2023 or early 2024 but it got delayed. As for the impact of the New London, Bethesda isn't going to change their release schedule for a mod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.