Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I've reinstalled Fallout 4, and I'm going through Nexus mods to pick and choose what mods to start the game with. I generally try to start off vanilla, but I think there may be a handful that I want.

If Sim settlements wasn't upgraded, I'd probably not bother with installing that mod, but since its a new version since I last played I may install that mod once I get a further along in the story.
I left Sim Settlememts off in the current play though I started last summer, because of the scripting load. However, the devs did a good job of giving you the tools to back out of a triangle of death issue. 90% is being aware of it and avoiding the situation.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its interesting to be playing this game when I'm so used to fallout 76. Whether we're talking about hunger/thirst, weapon degradation or just pulling up the map, which in FO4 is on the pip boy and FO76 is brought up by hitting the ESC key.

I'm taking a slow approach since I've not touched this game so long, I decided to do the early game quest of meeting up with Garvey and do those. Once I get more involved establishing settlements, I may install Sim Settlements but for now, I only have a handful of mods installed - no real game altering mods, just quality of life, like seeing a fully repaired bridge to Sanctuary and the mod needed to use an ultra-wide monitor

Reactions: Huntn

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just want to add to my earlier post, that its a bit refreshing to be starting the game from ground zero. Its been forever and a day since I had to start out with no ammo, no powerful weapons and I could easily get killed, which did happen a few times.

I need to pick my fights, and choose my path, more carefully in the early portion of the game, something that I had forgotten since I've been in Fallout 76 for so long. Same goes for fast traveling, in FO4, I don't have any locations found so I need walk and its refreshing in a weird way

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One big difference in playing Fallout 4 vs. Fallout 76 - needing to save the game. I've gotten out of habit of doing this and its cost me a few times. :oops:

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I just want to add to my earlier post, that its a bit refreshing to be starting the game from ground zero. Its been forever and a day since I had to start out with no ammo, no powerful weapons and I could easily get killed, which did happen a few times.

I need to pick my fights, and choose my path, more carefully in the early portion of the game, something that I had forgotten since I've been in Fallout 76 for so long. Same goes for fast traveling, in FO4, I don't have any locations found so I need walk and its refreshing in a weird way
Walking is really immersive. I once tried walking everywhere black to repeat locations, but it takes to long as I picture hiking from Sanctuary to The Castle to Sunshine Tidings Coop. I’ve taken a break from F4 since picking up CP77, about to finish the main quest there, but may play though it a second time as a Corporate Rat instead of a Nomad, and might play a guy this time so I can romance PanAm. ;) ...but then I‘ll pick F4 back up where I left it, 3rd play through, mid game, with the Valkyrie content and that other mod that lets me take over the Institute and become the mayor of Diamond City.

Re Sim Settlements, instead I’m using a pre-war housing mod and building my own stuff. The downside, is that those houses basically all look the same. However, I admit, I did not care for SS’s glorious junk buildings. I am not into junk, and that was one of my primary F4 critiques. If I can build a teleporter, I’d damn sure be able to build something equivalent to at least a 19th century house. ?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Re Sim Settlements, instead I’m using a pre-war housing
The thing with Sim Settlements, is I enjoyed Rise of the Commonwealth which basically automated the settlement building process. I just sat back and let it go. I didn't have to build out or select the building type for each plot of land. I could be wrong, but it seems the new sim settlements also has you do quests or actions to earn those transponders (or what ever they're called)

I've largely finished with the minutemen quests, and I've started the NukaWorld quests. I usually enjoy going the raider route and it seems more satisfying so that will largely end any conversations with Garvey once I get to the point of taking over settlements.

I'm going with a companion this time - cait, but I may do the Curie one from vault 88. I've not done that at all and it may be nice to do something completely different

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
The thing with Sim Settlements, is I enjoyed Rise of the Commonwealth which basically automated the settlement building process. I just sat back and let it go. I didn't have to build out or select the building type for each plot of land. I could be wrong, but it seems the new sim settlements also has you do quests or actions to earn those transponders (or what ever they're called)

I've largely finished with the minutemen quests, and I've started the NukaWorld quests. I usually enjoy going the raider route and it seems more satisfying so that will largely end any conversations with Garvey once I get to the point of taking over settlements.

I'm going with a companion this time - cait, but I may do the Curie one from vault 88. I've not done that at all and it may be nice to do something completely different
That’s where we differ. :D
As you may recall, I did NukaWorld and then wiped out the Raiders, am not turning the Commonwealth over to a bunch of lawless warlord scum! As fas as my favorite companion to get Lover’s Embrace with it was always a tossup between Piper and Cait. :) Piper as an investigative reporter, seemed more into doing the right thing, more honest, mentally healthy, and wholesome if that is a proper adjective. Cait has more baggage, helping her with her addiction and being someone she could depend on was meaningful, plus she was more saucey really gets her firefight mojo on, Is that ALL You Got?? For being a raider, I imagine it would have to be Cait. I also really enjoyed helping Curie find her humanity, if you are familiar with the Dr. Amari (Good Fellow) quest chain, but she always seemed like a robot and despite the exotic french accent, seemed a bit dull. I would blame the devs for that. :)

Re SS, I agree having the settlements build themselves was quite cool, yet I felt more detached from them. Even avoiding that this time, I’ve run into a couple of situations where I’ve not been able to load a save and have to revert to an earlier save. Not sure what is going on there, but it could be mod related and a I’ve got more than 10 mods running.

Last edited:
Reactions: maflynn

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
I think I might have asked a similar question before but cant remember, and maybe Sim Settlements 2 might change the answer.

I want to play F4 again, mainly only to play all the dlc quality mods as ive played the main story at least twice. im not interested in any mods that aren't going to add some missions and story to my game.

From looking at what ive already downloaded and lobbed into vortex, I want to play:

a diamond city story.
america rising
atomic radio
depravity
fusion city rising
northern springs
outcasts and remnants
project valkyrie
sim settlements 2
vault 1080

I guess my question is, should I install them all, and then play one game, doing all of those mods. or should I just install them in smaller batches, maybe even as low as 1 at a time (but I cant face playing the start of the game that many times). mainly sim settlements 2, should I play that as a separate walkthrough? are all of them of a level that I can go to them early in the game?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
The issue as I see it is having all the mods loaded at once could cause some issues. Some of those mods look interesting like America Rising. I think I'll load that on and I totally forgot about vault 1080 which was a fun small mod. I'll do that as well ;)

Tuesdays are the day that Bethesda updates their atom store for fallout 76 so I usually try to put sometime into that - to see what's going on and any new stuff I may want. That being said, I'll be doing that today and maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll try America Rising.

Reactions: madeirabhoy

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
Is it an issue to start a game vanilla and add mods in later ? Can see why this might not work. But if it did it would be the perfect solution. Or I start a vanilla game go through all the boring start of game nonsense snd get myself to a point where I have guns and armour and stuff. And then save it. Add one mod in at a time. Play it. Go back. Remove it and add another. Play it.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Is it an issue to start a game vanilla and add mods in later ?
Generally that's what I do. I've started a game with vault 1080 and Sim Settlements loaded and it wasn't useful since my level 1 or 2 character wasn't really able to do much. I just started loading mods and I'm in the 30s level wise.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I think I might have asked a similar question before but cant remember, and maybe Sim Settlements 2 might change the answer.

I want to play F4 again, mainly only to play all the dlc quality mods as ive played the main story at least twice. im not interested in any mods that aren't going to add some missions and story to my game.

From looking at what ive already downloaded and lobbed into vortex, I want to play:

a diamond city story.
america rising
atomic radio
depravity
fusion city rising

northern springs
outcasts and remnants
project valkyrie
sim settlements 2

vault 1080

I guess my question is, should I install them all, and then play one game, doing all of those mods. or should I just install them in smaller batches, maybe even as low as 1 at a time (but I cant face playing the start of the game that many times). mainly sim settlements 2, should I play that as a separate walkthrough? are all of them of a level that I can go to them early in the game?
From personal experience I can tell you that I have all of the bolded and more mods (in your post) running without issues. Somewhere in this thread I posted all the mods I am running. I’ll post if I can find it. If there was a mod I might pass on it is Fusion City Rising, not that it’s a bad mod, but it’s a complicated layout in fusion city, heavy scripting, and it can be more of a challenge to find objectives in it. The idea of a subway system to other parts of the Commonwealth is cool, but it means you are doing extra screen loads to use it, where fast travel is simpler and faster.

And if you have not read up on Sim Settlements, find the discussion in this thread about the triangle of death. This is where you build 3 settlements to close with sim settlements running in this settlements and the scripting overwhelms the ability of the game to handle it Causing a crash. There is a way to recover from it without losing progress, yet, it’s better to avoid in the first place.

Triangle of Dath: Sim Settlements
Post in thread 'Fallout 4 Discussion'
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-27954467

Content Mods Talk
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-27960993

More Content Mod Talk
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-28066540

The Best Fallout 4 Ending not using Content Mods
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-27955806

My 2020 play through Mod list which is still going
Here is my mod list, some of the minor ones might be currently turned off, I manage some with Nexus Mod Manager, and others in-game with Bethesda’s official mod list. This list is longer than I remember it ?, and the game runs fine:
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fallout-4-discussion.1939095/post-28389085

I’ll make an argument for loading all the mods you want up front versus just some mods, it might be better to know up front if your game is going to run or not with them all in there.

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Since my gaming rig supports VR, I purchased the Oculus Quest 2 now that the Oculus Store approved the full version of the "Virtual Desktop" app... which makes it easy to play Steam VR games wirelessly from my PC. Now I need games to play... lol... of course I'm going to pick up "Half-Life ALYX", but I noticed there is a "Fallout 4 VR" through Steam... but at a new game price. Since most of you played through the game, do you think it would make a good VR game? and is it worth $59 to play it in VR?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Since my gaming rig supports VR, I purchased the Oculus Quest 2 now that the Oculus Store approved the full version of the "Virtual Desktop" app... which makes it easy to play Steam VR games wirelessly from my PC. Now I need games to play... lol... of course I'm going to pick up "Half-Life ALYX", but I noticed there is a "Fallout 4 VR" through Steam... but at a new game price. Since most of you played through the game, do you think it would make a good VR game? and is it worth $59 to play it in VR?
Maybe, it could be amazing. But for perspective, I have backed away from VR. I have an Oculus. The issue with playing VR games is how control friendly are they, especially a game not designed from the git go to be VR. As an Fallout 4 player, I have notes I reference playing and use the Console semi-frequently, and I don’t really want have to take my rig off to get things accomplished. And $59 struck me as pretty damned steep for a game this old.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Maybe, it could be amazing. But for perspective, I have backed away from VR. I have an Oculus. The issue with playing VR games is how control friendly are they, especially a game not designed from the git go to be VR. As an Fallout 4 player, I have notes I reference playing and use the Console semi-frequently, and I don’t really want have to take my rig off to get things accomplished. And $59 struck me as pretty damned steep for a game this old.
Thanks for the input... my kid said it's a good game, but not at $59. I'm having fun with H-L ALYX right now, and have other VR games I added to my wishlist on Steam... so I'll hold off for now. Plus... I don't know how long I'll be into VR to be honest... when I look back at NVidia 3D gaming. That didn't last long... LOL

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Thanks for the input... my kid said it's a good game, but not at $59. I'm having fun with H-L ALYX right now, and have other VR games I added to my wishlist on Steam... so I'll hold off for now. Plus... I don't know how long I'll be into VR to be honest... when I look back at NVidia 3D gaming. That didn't last long... LOL
The single most impressive game I've played VR is Lone Echo. It's rather amazing. You are a robot, helping a human captain, manage an event close to your ship at the rings of Saturn. Locomotion is based on grabbing things and pulling yourself or using your wrist thrusters.

image20.jpg

frame_0000.jpg

Erehy Dobon

Suspended
Feb 16, 2018
No service
In my limited experience VR games are best when they are conscientiously designed for VR by game designers who are thoughtful about the technology's strengths and weaknesses.

Valve's Half-Life: Alyx is the gold standard for all VR games. As far as I can tell the VR versions of Fallout 4 and Skyrim are half-baked. The VR version of Alien: Isolation is a mod.

When I bought my Rift S HMD I was hoping that more game developers had the sense to take VR game design like Valve did with Half-Life: Alyx.

I was so wrong unfortunately.

Game designers will eventually get it. It'll probably take five or ten years though.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In my limited experience VR games are best when they are conscientiously designed for VR by game designers who are thoughtful about the technology's strengths and weaknesses.

Valve's Half-Life: Alyx is the gold standard for all VR games. As far as I can tell the VR versions of Fallout 4 and Skyrim are half-baked. The VR version of Alien: Isolation is a mod.

When I bought my Rift S HMD I was hoping that more game developers had the sense to take VR game design like Valve did with Half-Life: Alyx.

I was so wrong unfortunately.

Game designers will eventually get it. It'll probably take five or ten years though.
I’ll consider Alyx when it goes on sale. :)

madeirabhoy

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2012
wouldn't it be a good idea for admin to split off the general VR conversation, not so much because its not to do with fallout, but other people who aren't into fallout but are into VR will be more likely to see it on its own thread.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
wouldn't it be a good idea for admin to split off the general VR conversation, not so much because its not to do with fallout, but other people who aren't into fallout but are into VR will be more likely to see it on its own thread.
And there is a VR forum, but I don’t want to talk about Mac VR when this game forum makes more sense for games.

panjandrum

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2009
United States
Oh, oh oh! This mod! https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18734/?tab=description

If it still works. I'm probably not going to fix it if it doesn't. Probably. Unless I get heavily into FO4 again at some point. I mention this because at least one user reports that it doesn't work any longer. That would surprise me as I've not noticed that. Then again I've been mostly playing FO3 again in VR via. VORPX, so I may simply not have noticed. I never bother picking up Stimpacks since I know they are 'too heavy' to carry.

To be clear, read the description, I made this mod for the fallouts because I find them absurdly easy no matter what else I did to make them hard. This actually makes them at least a little bit difficult.

I'm pretty sure nobody but me has ever actually *used* them ? ? ?

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Oh, oh oh! This mod! https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18734/?tab=description

If it still works. I'm probably not going to fix it if it doesn't. Probably. Unless I get heavily into FO4 again at some point. I mention this because at least one user reports that it doesn't work any longer. That would surprise me as I've not noticed that. Then again I've been mostly playing FO3 again in VR via. VORPX, so I may simply not have noticed. I never bother picking up Stimpacks since I know they are 'too heavy' to carry.

To be clear, read the description, I made this mod for the fallouts because I find them absurdly easy no matter what else I did to make them hard. This actually makes them at least a little bit difficult.

I'm pretty sure nobody but me has ever actually *used* them ? ? ?
Why would you ever want “ludicrously heavy stimpacks”?? :D

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After the most recent GeForce Update v466.63, Fallout 4 started crashing on any zone load, including fast travel.

I figured out a fix, don’t let GeForce Experience optimize the game. Before I let Geforce Experience optimize the game at the 4k resolution (3840 x 2160 ).

I do have a 4k monitor and the fix in game on the F4 launch page is to select settings, set the resolution to 2048x1080 and leave “windowed” box unchecked. This will scale the image to fill the entire monitor. Back in business for now. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
10Jun21 Update- Some instabilities are being displayed in the game, either a saved game won't launch or fast travel causes a crash. Doing some experimentation, removing some mods, but it seems like this game's days are numbered, at least with a large library of mods, that get older by the month.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.