Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
After taking over the Institute, and the Brotherhood of Steel, I’ve noticed that some aspects of the game, some of them are still thinking in terms of conflict, Tinker Tom still wants me to plant MILAs on rooftops, PAM sent me out to kill a Corsair. I can live with that, as I saw how the other way went. It’s just a limitation of how far mods can take you to alter the game.

I have now discovered the location of Fusion City (Fusion City Rising Mod). The mod is concerned with the Children of Atom’s plot to acquire nukes to spread their worship of radiation across the Commonwealth. It also introduces a lot of intrigue based on shady forces behind the scenes, and even mentions Shawn and his son, not found in the vanilla game. Normally I feel like I have to wade through terminal entries, but this batch of content mods, I’ve previously mentioned and am currently playing have made terminal reading fun. This is excellent content they have added to the game. :)

One other thing, the facility layouts that are introduced in these content mods are much more complex and it is more of a challenge to locate items in these facilities. You are much more reliant on using the local maps to find the marker where something is located. Club Fusion is very complex, with multiple levels and until you get a feel for the layout with 6 levels (or more), it can take some effort to locate a key-card required to gain access to the Ini-Tek offices. You’ll see the marker, but it’s on a different floor. I’ve got notes! :D

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Can you go into Nuka World and kill of the Raiders? I'm figuring you can't some have protected status.
Yes, in fact that's one possible quest, i.e., side with the raiders or side with the traders who want to be free.

I'm back to playing FO4, doing some different things, and I have to say I enjoy FO4 much more than Skyrim. I'm nowhere near done with Skyrim on my recent playthrough but I picked FO4 back up.

I've been more choosey with my settlement selections but for giggles, I did the red rocket to see what that looks like. I'll probably go back to the save that I did right before invoking the settlement process for RR. Up until doing Red Rocket the game was incredibly stable. I knew I was taking a chance with Red Rocket and/or adding one too many but the game did die out of the blue and so far I was unimpressed with the city design. I know being L0 there's not much to go on. Perhaps I'll go to Nexusmod and see what other designs are available.

I'll be looking for some quest mods as well

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Yes, in fact that's one possible quest, i.e., side with the raiders or side with the traders who want to be free.

I'm back to playing FO4, doing some different things, and I have to say I enjoy FO4 much more than Skyrim. I'm nowhere near done with Skyrim on my recent playthrough but I picked FO4 back up.

I've been more choosey with my settlement selections but for giggles, I did the red rocket to see what that looks like. I'll probably go back to the save that I did right before invoking the settlement process for RR. Up until doing Red Rocket the game was incredibly stable. I knew I was taking a chance with Red Rocket and/or adding one too many but the game did die out of the blue and so far I was unimpressed with the city design. I know being L0 there's not much to go on. Perhaps I'll go to Nexusmod and see what other designs are available.

I'll be looking for some quest mods as well

I had no issues with Red Rocket but I build my settlements without a mod.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently playing with a DLC sized mod called Fourville Seems quite in-depth, includes voices for dialog, though some of the quests provided seem rather mundane and busy work. Go here and deliver this, go and ask someone that. but aside from that its well done

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I had no issues with Red Rocket but I build my settlements without a mod.
Without Sim Settlements, there is no issue in the vanilla game. And with SS, which adds a lot of settlement related scripting, you just have to be aware which places not to build which are described at the mod’s web site. I’ve described the issue in this thread, but if you want variety in your settlements, the mod can build some interesting settlements you can’t build easily.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I'm currently playing with a DLC sized mod called Fourville Seems quite in-depth, includes voices for dialog, though some of the quests provided seem rather mundane and busy work. Go here and deliver this, go and ask someone that. but aside from that its well done
I’ve scaled my F4 playing back a bit, but last night I played for several hours on an Outcasts and Remant’s Mod quest, Connecting the Commonwealth to connect 12 major locations with a teleportation system. Of interest the Fusion City Rising Mod resurrects parts of the Commonwealth’s subway system which you don’t really need because of fast travel, but it’s fun to have, although riding the subway is in essence a scene load, just like using fast travel, but it may save you one scene load vs using fast travel. ?

Reactions: madeirabhoy

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Brought from the What Game You Playing thread:

You can, but Garvey while still handing out quests will never be friendly to you again (he won't be hostile, he'll just complain).

In some ways, I think being a raider fits better with the game, especially if you have cait as a companion. I've chosen not to side with the raiders of NukaWorld while using Sim Settlements.

btw, I have a number of settlements that won't go to level 4 for some reason. I've reached all of the requirements and have allf the junk needed but nothing more is happening with them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
That’s an interesting comment, because Garvey never seemed overly friendly to me, and then in the Outcasts and Misfits content mod made Garvey responsible for a massacre and your options were in a range of do nothing, to scold him, lock him up or execute him. I have at least one Fallout 4 settlement, that has all the requirement for happiness, food, water, and beds (Ten Pines Bluff) that refuses to grow above 9 people.

So how can you quest in Nuka World without siding with Raiders? During my first play though there, it was all Raider faction related quests.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That’s an interesting comment, because Garvey never seemed overly friendly to me,
He goes on and on about you betraying his trust and whatnot.

So how can you quest in Nuka World without siding with Raiders? During my first play through there, it was all Raider faction related quests.
The early quests have no impact on you and the MinuteMen/Settlers only when you do the quest Home Sweet Home. Only then do you turn into a raider. I do recommend one playthrough that way to see the different quests. Alternatively, you can choose to do the Open Season quest, given to you from Mackenzie Bridgeman in the Nuka-Town market.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
He goes on and on about you betraying his trust and whatnot.

The early quests have no impact on you and the MinuteMen/Settlers only when you do the quest Home Sweet Home. Only then do you turn into a raider. I do recommend one playthrough that way to see the different quests. Alternatively, you can choose to do the Open Season quest, given to you from Mackenzie Bridgeman in the Nuka-Town market.
Ah yes, Open Season, that could be the way for me to go, this said although I aligned myself with a ghoul named Murphy, involved in slave trading, and who tried to turn me into a slave, before I kicked some buttock. He has some good qualities, at least not completely despicable, so I was able to work though this. :) At the start of the Outcasts and Remnants Mod, you’ll find yourself caught, stripped down naked and locked in a cell.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'm currently playing with a DLC sized mod called Fourville Seems quite in-depth
I have to say, I'm rather tired of playing this mod/DLC, it hadn't grabbed me for a number of reasons. First, let me make some comparisons with Nukaworld and Far Harbor. In both cases you're doing something to improve someone's life, whether its the raiders or the residents of Far Harbor. There's a clear delineation of what to do and the quests are cohesive. Each quest in the main quest line serve a purpose, the side quests help with the "karma", at least in Far Harbor.

With Fourville the quests seem inane and mundane without rhyme or reason. Without giving away too much spoilers you need to do certain tasks before vault four opens up (of not direct action on your part), you then have to do quests to uncover the mystery of vault 4. I stumbled upon a series of videos where one person has been doing this mod and he's up to part 10 and each part is about 30 minutes each, so he's up to about 5 hours of play time. The thing is, the quests are just lame and don't add anything its just busy work. In a number of cases you don't even get a quest marker, you have to go east, that's it.

I give credit to the authors for developing such a huge mod, but it lacks cohesion, so all you do is grind, and the fact that you're constantly going in and out of rooms fourville (the town next to vault 4) and doing quests is that you're constantly waiting for the load screens which are slow in FO4 as it is.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have to say, I'm rather tired of playing this mod/DLC, it hadn't grabbed me for a number of reasons. First, let me make some comparisons with Nukaworld and Far Harbor. In both cases you're doing something to improve someone's life, whether its the raiders or the residents of Far Harbor. There's a clear delineation of what to do and the quests are cohesive. Each quest in the main quest line serve a purpose, the side quests help with the "karma", at least in Far Harbor.

With Fourville the quests seem inane and mundane without rhyme or reason. Without giving away too much spoilers you need to do certain tasks before vault four opens up (of not direct action on your part), you then have to do quests to uncover the mystery of vault 4. I stumbled upon a series of videos where one person has been doing this mod and he's up to part 10 and each part is about 30 minutes each, so he's up to about 5 hours of play time. The thing is, the quests are just lame and don't add anything its just busy work. In a number of cases you don't even get a quest marker, you have to go east, that's it.

I give credit to the authors for developing such a huge mod, but it lacks cohesion, so all you do is grind, and the fact that you're constantly going in and out of rooms fourville (the town next to vault 4) and doing quests is that you're constantly waiting for the load screens which are slow in FO4 as it is.
Thanks for the info! One reason I like Outcast And Remnants along with the Project Valkyrie mod is because how well they tied in with the core game’s main story. In some ways they are simplistic but after finishing the vanilla game’s main quest a couple of times, this was a nice way to alter the ending, having my cake and eating it too. Most importantly it validated my dislike of the choices the vanilla game gives the player. :)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I stumbled upon a YT that showed the end of foursville, and without giving away the ending, it was as I guessed. While the ending was fairly easy to discern, the idea behind it is novel and imaginative but how the quests were handled made getting to the ending was grind and imo not worth it.

The entire vault was a simulation]

In other news, its funny going from fallout 3 and new vegas, then jumping back to FO4, the increase in graphics is quite noticeable. While the older Fallout games are fun, I give Bethesda credit for the depth of the world in FO4. I know it lacks reputation, and karma like the other games but it is my favorite.

• Love

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I stumbled upon a YT that showed the end of foursville, and without giving away the ending, it was as I guessed. While the ending was fairly easy to discern, the idea behind it is novel and imaginative but how the quests were handled made getting to the ending was grind and imo not worth it.

The entire vault was a simulation]

In other news, its funny going from fallout 3 and new vegas, then jumping back to FO4, the increase in graphics is quite noticeable. While the older Fallout games are fun, I give Bethesda credit for the depth of the world in FO4. I know it lacks reputation, and karma like the other games but it is my favorite.
I’m grappling with how I want to approach Nuka World. I did a Disciples quest to help defend a group of raiders in the Commonwealth from an attack by Gen 1 Institute synths, and that was ok, because they are generally a threat, but it does not really fit in with the big picture, the Institute pacified and under my control, so maybe they were roque synths. ;)

But it also felt artificial as how, would the Disciples know this attack was coming from way over in Nuka World? Anyway it was not much of an attack, and afterwards I executed the Raiders there too for good measure. ;) I’m anticipating they will be oblivious to this back at HQ, but have a save to fall back on just in case.

This DLC in some cases is harshly criticized and for good reason. If you follow the quests, nothing really changes in Nuka World (Does it?). If you side with the Traders and wipe out the Raider leaders, nothing really happens there either. A good DLC would allow you to make substantial changes at Nuka World for good or bad. I’ve been considering one of the mods, the Nuke World Reborn mod.

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
This DLC in some cases is harshly criticized and for good reason. If you follow the quests, nothing really changes in Nuka World (Does it?). If you side with the Traders and wipe out the Raider leaders, nothing really happens there either. A good DLC would allow you to make substantial changes at Nuka World for good or bad. I’ve been considering one of the mods, the Nuke World Reborn mod.
Yeah, there's little long term tangible differences in NukaWorld, if you side with the Raiders, then you'll be turning your settlements into raider camps or settlements forced to supply you, which in turn adds to caps. If you're like me however, at this point you're probably not need of caps so the generated revenue is of limited value.

I'm probably going to stat FA4 all over with a mind to do Project Valkyrie, I made the mistake of adding that mod well into the game play and I think that limited my experience somewhat.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yeah, there's little long term tangible differences in NukaWorld, if you side with the Raiders, then you'll be turning your settlements into raider camps or settlements forced to supply you, which in turn adds to caps. If you're like me however, at this point you're probably not need of caps so the generated revenue is of limited value.

I'm probably going to stat FA4 all over with a mind to do Project Valkyrie, I made the mistake of adding that mod well into the game play and I think that limited my experience somewhat.
You’ll also have Outcasts because I think it’s required to run Valkyrie, and you get to meet Mr. Murphy if you have not already. :D

Reactions: maflynn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Getting ready to install a Nuke World mod, Nuka World Reborn, and when I launched Nexus Mod Manage to install this mod, it offered to update to I think version 7.5.3 or something like that and then it froze, and when I relaunched it, It shows that Fallout 4 is one of the games it's managing, and when I tell it to quick start, it disappears, appears to stop working, the page that normally pops up with a list of installed mods does not appear. If I look at Task Manager, it does not show NMM running, but if I select "show more" it is in the list and it shows "suspended".

I've tried several things restarted my PC, uninstalled and reinstalled it. It will search for games, I check the games it has found, one of them Fallout 4, I tell it to stop searching, and then select Fallout 4, Quick Start button and the initial page goes away and nothing happens. Also when I uninstalled and reinstalled it, it's not giving me the option to upgrade it and it is clearly an older version of NMM that I downloaded directly from the Nexus Mod Page. (0.7.5.0)

So I'm stumped and spent about an hour messing with this, and will try again tomorrow. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Here is the latest regarding Nexus Mod Manager (v0.71.3). I know you all are on pins and needles. ;)

I was launching NMM, it froze on me once or twice, and it was going into a "suspended" state (in Windows 10).. I knew this because I checked the Windows Task Manager. And if you are in this situation and don't see the app listed, hit the little "more details" button at the bottom of the TM window.

I found a link online telling you how to activate a program from a suspended state, simply type in Resource Manager in the Window Search window, open the Resource Manager App, check the list for in this case "NexusClient.exe", right click it and select activate. https://windroidwiz.wordpress.com/2016/07/30/trickpauseresume-any-task-in-windows/

This got NMM working again and I was able to install NukaWorld Reborn, although I've not tested it in game yet. Honestly, I have no idea if this issue is a Windows conflict or a problem with NMM. Depending on how many issues I run into with NMM will determine if I abandon it.

This is the first time I've had an issue with NMM and I've been using it for several years. So, in the short term, I think I've gotten done what I needed to, although I have yet to test this mod in game, and note I have a pretty long list of mods I rely on, I'm a bit frightened to post them all. ?

Of note, although F4 has a fairly long load time on occasion, the game runs pretty smoothly including with Sim Settlements which puts quite a load on the game.

April 2020 Nexus Mod Manager Mod List
Cat- Animation
• Lowered Weapons

Cat- Cheats and God Items
• ?duplicate disabled Higher Settlement Budget
• Clothing and God items
• Sporty Underwear- CBBE -BodySlide
• Wasteland Bathing Suits

Cat- Companions
• Companions Go Home

Cat- Crafting -Home
• Renovated Furniture
• Vault 88 Room Corners Plus

Cat- Gameplay Effects and Changes
• Identify Friend or Fore (IFF) Targeting within Scope

Cat- Hair and Face Models
• Caliente’s Beautiful Bodies Enhancer- CBBE-

Cat- Locations- New
• Hooker’s of the Common Wealth (HotC)

Cat- Models and Textures
• Enhanced Nude Katrin EVB and CBBE Wearable Body Underwer
• Fallout Texture Overhual Stars
• Improved Map with Visible Roads
• Paint that house (Uninstalled)
• Touch of green

Cat- NPC
• Mortal Settlers

Cat- NPC- Vendors
• Hookers of the Common Wealth Settlement Edition (HotC SE)

Cat- Category Quests and Adventures
• Depravity- A Harmless Bit of Fun
• Fusion City Rising- Quest od Plus
• Outcasts and Remnants

Cat- Unassigned
• CWSS Redux v2- Crafable Working Showers, Sinks, Baths, Toilets Urinals Kitchen etc
• Place Everywhere
• Scrap Everything
• TabsMissingFix -22205-1-1
• Vault 88 - More Vault Rooms
• Value per Weight indicator for Container (Uninstalled)

Cat- Utilities
• Body Slide and Outfit Studio

In Game Bethesda Mod List:
• Ballistic Weave Standarized
• Combat Rifle Overhaul
• [PC] Battett M82A1 Anti Material Rifle (Beta)
• remove? Simple Settlements for Sim Settlements First Steps
• Sim Settlements Mega Pack Year Two
• [PC] Modular Kitchens Updated
• remove? Sim Settlements : City Plan Pack- Contest Entries
• Sim Settlements: Three in One
• [PC] CC Armor Paints- AWKCR Patch
• Old Gold Radio [PC Edition]
• Companions can sneak
• Realistic Insects Health [PC]
• HUDFramework [PC]
• Healthier Commonwealth PC
• [SMM] Settlement Menu Manager
• Unlimited Settlement Budget (No Hassle)
• Sjubadaa Weapon Pack- REDUX (PC)
• (PC) Pre-War and Post War Santuary House Build Set
• The Eyes of Beauty Fallout 4 Edition
• Buffed Minutemen Militia 2
• Girly Animation
• Sanctuary Hot Springs Home & Settlement [PC]
• FN Five-seveN(PC)
• K-9 Harness -Tactical Body Armor
• Advanced Settlement Turret Set- Complete
• NCR Veteran Ranger Armor PC
• Solar Power
• ?remove- Tales from the Commonwealth
• Armor and Weapon Keywords Community Resource (AWKCR) (PC:All DC)
• ?duplicate- Settlement Limits Slashed
• ?duplicate- Improved Maps with Visible Roads
• Loving Cait
• Companion Infinite Ammo
• Loving Piper
• [PC] Ponytail Hairstyles by Azar v2.5a
• Visible Companion Infinity
• Weightless Junk
• Santuary Bridge Fix

Last edited:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Nexus Mod Manager (v0.71.3).
I found for my experience that Vortex works better. I'm not sure why by NMM failed to easily deploy and manage my mods.

You have a significant number of mods - wow, I don't have much in all honesty. I'm playing through from the beginning so I can how Project Valkyrie will impact the overall game play. Since I'm currently at a low level, I need to keep grinding before deal with the Cabot quests.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I found for my experience that Vortex works better. I'm not sure why by NMM failed to easily deploy and manage my mods.

You have a significant number of mods - wow, I don't have much in all honesty. I'm playing through from the beginning so I can how Project Valkyrie will impact the overall game play. Since I'm currently at a low level, I need to keep grinding before deal with the Cabot quests.

Many of these mods have very little in game impact, although I’m not an expert on this topic, just know how the game performs, so I don’t anticipate Valkyrie will be an issue for you.

Regarding mod managers, I instinctively don’t like a mod Manager that does not install mods in the game’s data folder, because if the mod manager breaks, your mods are at risk, where if they are in the data folder, the mod Manager can implode and your mods are still all installed. The flip side that some people argue is that you are not messing with the game folder other than installing hard links or virtual links into th data folder. My understanding is that Vortex uses hard links, and Mod Manager 2 uses virtual links, and Mod Manager 2 must be running when the game loads to pick up mod data. If and when I abandon NMM, I’ll probably go to Vortex.

Regarding Nuka World Reborn, I’ve got it installed using NMM, and what I’m noticing in Nuka World which is not happening in the rest of the Commonwealth, is that if I run up the street, the game freezes frequently for 10-20 second while the game catches back up. I also watched a video of a mod where you can call the Minutemen to assault NukaWorld’s raiders, and the video’s author complained that his game kept crashing to desktop. So it maybe inherent lag when modding in this zone, or it might be one more mod that broke the camel’s back, but I’m doubting this as I’m not having issues with game performance outside of Nuka World. I put up a message online in Steam and Nexus Forum asking if there are any solutions.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
One of my biggest annoyances is related to Far Harbor, If I have that DLC loaded and you need it if you want to load the unofficial fallout4 patch, I get quests that are located in Far Harbor. For instance, I'm fairly early on in my game, and I just started doing quests for the BOS, the Quartermastery and Cleaning out the commonwealth quests.

Well I suddenly have two quests in far harbor even though I hadn't started that DLC and in all truthfulness, I'm too low of a level to be moving around there. So I largely have to stop with those quests - it really bugs me

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
One of my biggest annoyances is related to Far Harbor, If I have that DLC loaded and you need it if you want to load the unofficial fallout4 patch, I get quests that are located in Far Harbor. For instance, I'm fairly early on in my game, and I just started doing quests for the BOS, the Quartermastery and Cleaning out the commonwealth quests.

Well I suddenly have two quests in far harbor even though I hadn't started that DLC and in all truthfulness, I'm too low of a level to be moving around there. So I largely have to stop with those quests - it really bugs me
I noticed that too, but I can’t remember on my second play though at what point those Far Harbor location quests started appearin. It’s a slog to get up there. My suggestion would be to uninstall that DLC until you are ready to mess with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.