Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
New whiskey shelf.

338c835896d61a214d56ac658aab849c.jpg
Is that what being a connoisseur looks like? :)
[doublepost=1543848504][/doublepost]
Just ordered another bottle of The Macallan. This time their Rare Cask with Fourth Annual Limited Edition Stopper. It should arrive next week sometime.

View attachment 805334
Pretty bottle. :)

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I base it on the need to drink to "survive." There have been times where a few of us will go through an entire bottle or two over a long day and late into the night. Saying goodbye to a couple $150 bottles of scotch or whatever isn't bad when you think of the memories you're building discussing things and having fun.

Though I'll admit in the past I alone have gone through entire bottles in a day or two. Spread out. During the holidays.

The amount I drink nowadays is a far cry from my younger years, as are most people's.

Reactions: Mr Kram

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Im not a connoisseur, but I do like a good whiskey. I was extremely skeptical when my son told me about a hop flavored whiskey, made by Charbay in Ukiah CA. Then I tried it and it is pretty darn good. Apparently it’s made from Bear Republics Racer 5 IPA. Has anyone else tried this?
rel0d3+dQTC8qdJ3eOtJHQ.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: BenAigen

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Think I'll skip trying that. I've had Racer 5 a few times in the past and didn't like it. Though it's safe to assume it's much better than Kram's quinoa whiskey purchase.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Think I'll skip trying that. I've had Racer 5 a few times in the past and didn't like it. Though it's safe to assume it's much better than Kram's quinoa whiskey purchase.
I can’t remeber if I like Racer 5 or not either. I picked up a bottle today when I was at Costco because when life sends me a sign, I read it. IIRC I didn’t care for it much last time I tried it which just added to the intrigue of the whiskey being made from it.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I can’t remeber if I like Racer 5 or not either. I picked up a bottle today when I was at Costco because when life sends me a sign, I read it. IIRC I didn’t care for it much last time I tried it which just added to the intrigue of the whiskey being made from it.
Racer 5?

I'll be making a trip soon so I'll have a look. Every location is different. Last year there were larger than normal bottles, one of which was Abbey.

OLDGUYWITHAHIFI

Suspended
Nov 14, 2018
I can drink nothing but Scotch. I have tried several whiskies, but I find them to have too much sugar or sweetness.

I prefer a Scotch with a bit of peat but nothing over the top like a Laphroaig. I like single malts and really enjoy a Macallan 18 year old for the holidays.. Heaven on earth as far as I am concerned. Another one of my favorites is the Glenmorangie LaSanta. I also like a Scotch aged in Sherry barrels or Bourbon barrels. I have also grown to like the Japanese whiskies such as the Yamazaki. Very smooth, and light, yet satisfying.

As far as blended are concerned... I bought my father a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue for his birthday. After all he was the one who got me started all those years ago. Must say it was pretty good. It stood out as having some unique flavors. A bit of peat but not over the top. My dad does not like peaty Scotches like I do.

I have also been known to pick up a bottle of Johnny Walker red from time to time. It's a great Scotch after a long day at work, and it works really well at cleaning oil stains in the drive.

I am open to suggestions if anyone has some recommendations.
[doublepost=1545455215][/doublepost]
After a long tumultuous week I’m having a quiet glass of Glenmorangie Signet.

View attachment 812184

View attachment 812185

Have not had that one. Tell me about it.

Last edited:

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I’ll bet you have something in the 10-20 year range!
Maybe. All of the ones I have are 12 years old. The only one that is probably in the 15 to 20 year range would be this bottle of Rare Cask by The Macallan. They don't say how old it is, but if price is any indication of age by any margin, then it should be older than 12. Rare Cask wasn't cheap and it does cost more than their 18 year old stuff.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
Maybe. All of the ones I have are 12 years old. The only one that is probably in the 15 to 20 year range would be this bottle of Rare Cask by The Macallan. They don't say how old it is, but if price is any indication of age by any margin, then it should be older than 12. Rare Cask wasn't cheap and it does cost more than their 18 year old stuff.
Well sounds like the perfect way to see in the New Years in a few days.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I probably haven't stayed up to see in the new year since 2000 when I was still on active duty in California. I stayed awake to see if the Y2K bug would trigger a global societal collapse and subsequent to that happening, me having to go to "work". o_O
Gosh. I have very bad memories of that year. I had very bad flu. Not a cold, but proper flu. Didn’t really get out of bed for a week. I didn’t appreciate the fireworks that went on for twice as long! Y2K bug. Yes that never really happened did it?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gosh. I have very bad memories of that year. I had very bad flu. Not a cold, but proper flu. Didn’t really get out of bed for a week. I didn’t appreciate the fireworks that went on for twice as long! Y2K bug. Yes that never really happened did it?
That does sound like a crummy year, or end of year.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I probably haven't stayed up to see in the new year since 2000 when I was still on active duty in California. I stayed awake to see if the Y2K bug would trigger a global societal collapse and subsequent to that happening, me having to go to "work". o_O
Me neither at least not locally. We watch the Ball drop in NYC then head for bed usually.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.