Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vivid.Inferno

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Ottawa, ON
CC

wine-club_2005_5812723

+1 Especially 12 year old CC.

40 Creek is good too.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
You should give the Black Bush a try.

I have a friend who's into the Irish whiskys and he didn't recommend it - his recommendation was unless I get the more expensive Green Label Bushmill's I'd be better off with Jameson. I may try the Black Bush when I get some extra funds on hand..

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Note: Balvenie RumCask. Yum. It is totally a dessert scotch, though. I have never tasted a sweeter, more berry-tasting scotch, but with a little bit of spiciness. I can see keeping a "regular" scotch around and keeping the RumCask in reserve for times when something sweet is appropriate. In fact, that's probably what I'll do. Very pleasantly surprising flavor.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Note: Balvenie RumCask. Yum. It is totally a dessert scotch, though. I have never tasted a sweeter, more berry-tasting scotch, but with a little bit of spiciness. I can see keeping a "regular" scotch around and keeping the RumCask in reserve for times when something sweet is appropriate. In fact, that's probably what I'll do. Very pleasantly surprising flavor.

Would you have any dessert with that or does it stand on its own?

Maybe some cheese and fruit?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Would you have any dessert with that or does it stand on its own?

Maybe some cheese and fruit?

It's excellent on its own, but I totally regret that I considered picking up some cheese and crackers while I was at BevMo and didn't.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
It's excellent on its own, but I totally regret that I considered picking up some cheese and crackers while I was at BevMo and didn't.

Looking at Bevmo's website, I see a few Balvenies, but no Rum Cask.

Is it something they don't advertise regularly?

Gelfin

macrumors 68020
Sep 18, 2001
Denver, CO
Looking at Bevmo's website, I see a few Balvenies, but no Rum Cask.

Is it something they don't advertise regularly?

I just happened to see it in the store when I was there. I looked online; apparently it's a limited edition. Apparently only 320 cases made. I'd never heard of it either, which was the main reason I tried it.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I just happened to see it in the store when I was there. I looked online; apparently it's a limited edition. Apparently only 320 cases made. I'd never heard of it either, which was the main reason I tried it.

That explains that. :eek:

I wonder if any of the other Balvenie scotches have a similar flavor.

Next time, I want some cheese/spirit dessert combo! :D

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
Not in my experience. I want to try the PortWood, as I've heard rave reviews, but it's always managed to stay just a little bit above what I'm inclined to pay.

If you're saying that, then my (nonexistent salary) can't make things any better. :p
You supply the cheese and we'll talk. ;)

I'll pay a visit to the Cheese Board. ;)

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
I wonder if any of the other Balvenie scotches have a similar flavor.

Not in my experience.

Not having had the one you're discussing, I'm not sure how different it is from the others. However, Balvenie is one of the lighter tasting whiskys. Balvenies tend to have a sweet, sort of honey + nutty flavour.

Though I usually go for Islay whiskys myself, Balvenie is one of my favourites from "the other side" of the whisky spectrum.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Not in my experience.
I've got the DoubleWood, the Single Barrel, and that 17yr Limited one they did a few years back (for special occasions) and they do have a similar flavour I think. They're more nutty and warmer than most Single malts I've tried.

telecomm: Islays are def one of those love/hate things.

northy124

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2007
Jack Daniels, it was my first and I loved it.

Glenfiddich comes a close second though.

CalPoly10

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2006
I've dappled with scotches, and I really like Pinch. I guess it's known as "The Dimple" everywhere else. Any comments?

needthephone

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2006
sydney
It has to be any decent Speyside Single Malt. Fortunately my wife is a bonnie lassie from Aberdeen (near Speyside) and my brother in law used to work in some of the local distilleries.

Some to look for
Aberlour
Glenfarcus
Auchroisk
Glenfiddich
Glenlivet
Millburn
Tamdhu

e told me about a great site to get great whiskey at exceptional value (we brought a 28 Year old Glenlivet for 95 pounds for my Grand fathers 100 th Birthday!! (yes 28 yr CASK MATURED for 95 pounds) which would easily cost 2-3 times as much in a shop. The thing is you couldn't buy this from a shop anyway, it would probably be inferior bottle matured). It was the nicest whiskey I have ever tasted, just incredible.

They buy casks of whiskey directly from the nearby distilleries leave them mature for say 18-28 years then bottle it themselves. They are based in the little village of Huntly which is in Speyside. We went to visit their factory a couple of years when we went to visit my wife's family- So THE genuine article and the place to buy whiskey at incredibly low prices (do a comparison yourselves)

I promise we have no business or personal affiliation but take it from me if you want exceptional whiskey at exceptional value go to Masters Of Malt. They know their whiskey and supply many retailers and online websites so go to the source and cut out the middle men. Ask them what is good or not and they will give you some great advice.

http://www.masterofmalt.com

PSmith

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2007
I agree with any Scottish Single malt.

When you try a long cask aged single malt there is no going back. They are in a class of their own which you don't appreciate until you try them.

Scottish Whiskey isn't regarded as the best in the world for nothing (and no I am not Scottish)

In my opinion, be careful with ay of these big brand supermarket whiskies (I am talking well known names) as they are blends and contain some cheaper grain whiskey.

With whiskey you usually get what you pay for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.