Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
With whiskey you usually get what you pay for.

Oh so true. Although (while I wouldn't say it was one of the better ones I've had) I was surprised by the Glen Moray 12 year - the for price it was very good.

scotty96LSC

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 24, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I found this at the base liquor store. Very good.
the-dimple-pinch-15-years-old.jpg

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I’ve never met a whiskey or bourbon I didn’t like…;)

You have obviously never tried Fightin' Cock, Old Grandad, or Old Crow. :D

I like Jameson's, which I guess is my Irish heritage coming out. I've never been too big on single malts, but I do like Glennlivet 15 when in the right mood. I also had Johnny Walker Blue once, and it was amazing. The Macallan is pretty good, as well.

As for American brands, I like Maker's Mark. I've never been a big fan of JD, although touring their distellery was a lot of fun.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
You have obviously never tried Fightin' Cock, Old Grandad, or Old Crow. :D

I like Jameson's, which I guess is my Irish heritage coming out. I've never been too big on single malts, but I do like Glennlivet 15 when in the right mood. I also had Johnny Walker Blue once, and it was amazing. The Macallan is pretty good, as well.

As for American brands, I like Maker's Mark. I've never been a big fan of JD, although touring their distellery was a lot of fun.

I would say everything I drink is more mid-grade and higher. The cheapest stuff I’ve had in the past few years was this stuff called Early Times which I should have been tipped off when they brought it out in a plastic bottle – big no, no for me!

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
My favourite:

[Whisky snip]

With ice and coke.

Mmmmmmm....

I've never had a blended Scotch, and for me personally I'm not sure I'd ever try one... it's like polluting perfection for the masses. I like Jameson (better than Bushmills) very much but that's Irish blended which isn't quite the same.

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
This is what I'm drinking at the moment:
attachment.php

I shall pop to Royal Mile Whiskies, in London, in a few weeks and get of bottle of something else..

steve2112

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2009
East of Lyra, Northwest of Pegasus
I would say everything I drink is more mid-grade and higher. The cheapest stuff I’ve had in the past few years was this stuff called Early Times which I should have been tipped off when they brought it out in a plastic bottle – big no, no for me!

All I have to say is it's amazing what people will drink in college. :)

Actually, I wasn't much of a whiskey person until after I got out of college. I absolutely hated Scotch until somewhere around my 22-23rd birthday. I was celebrating at my favorite hangout, and one of the regulars in the bar found out it was my birthday. This guy was a prof at the university, and I had seen him in there quite a bit. He always drank good stuff, and would smoke a good cigar. He offered to buy me a round of the good stuff, and I told him no thanks, I couldn't stand the stuff. He simply said "You have never had real Scotch.", and he bought me a round of 18 yr old Macallan. All I have to say is I knew exactly what he meant after that.

I'm still more of a beer guy, but I can now appreciate a good whisk(e)y.

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
All I have to say is it's amazing what people will drink in college. :)

Actually, I wasn't much of a whiskey person until after I got out of college. I absolutely hated Scotch until somewhere around my 22-23rd birthday. I was celebrating at my favorite hangout, and one of the regulars in the bar found out it was my birthday. This guy was a prof at the university, and I had seen him in there quite a bit. He always drank good stuff, and would smoke a good cigar. He offered to buy me a round of the good stuff, and I told him no thanks, I couldn't stand the stuff. He simply said "You have never had real Scotch.", and he bought me a round of 18 yr old Macallan. All I have to say is I knew exactly what he meant after that.

I'm still more of a beer guy, but I can now appreciate a good whisk(e)y.

I am also a big cigar smoker – probably about 7-10 a week – and that’s where I picked up my love of whiskey, bourbon, and scotch. Macallan makes great stuff, I’ve had the pleasure of sampling their 25 year batch before, and it’s great!

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
Two standbys of mine..One a single malt,one a bourbon...

Attachments

• Glennm.jpg
    Glennm.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 170
  • Woodford.jpg
    Woodford.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 169

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
With ice and coke

OMFG! :eek:
You DO NOT ever put coke in Whisky!
Some water or ice maybe, even drink it straight, but never coke!!

You might put it in Jack Daniels, but never a Scotch or Irish Whisky...

I know some bars north or the boarder that you may get asked to leave for asking such a thing... ;)

Keniff

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2008
United Kingdom
The "Macallen 18 Year Old" - More than 20 years ago, the 'Macallen' Distiller in the 'Craigellachie' (The Highlands of Scotland) shipped these massive handcrafted wooden (oak) casks (barrels) from 'Jerez' in Spain, that had been used for hundreds of years to distill 'Sherry'.
What they ended up with, was an award winning "Best Malt in the World" in a poll conducted by Whisky Magazine in 2004. This malt also received a perfect score (100/100) from the Beverage Tasting Institute of Chicago in 1999.

Drink it on it's own, or at a push with an ice cube or a splash of water, but NEVER coke!

Once you've tried it, you never go back to anything else...

macallen18.jpg

Signal-11

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2008
2nd Star to the Right
The bottle I posted earlier is some of the stuff JW is made of. It's far nicer than JW.

Melrose stated that he's not sure if he's ever had a blended Scotch. If he's ever had a Johnnie Walker, excepting the Green Label, he's had a blended Scotch. Thus, my question.

There's plenty of Scotch blends that are straight up excellent and not all single malt Scotch is great by virtue of being single malt.

Some of the finest Scotch I've ever had have been vatted malts blended by a master.

Silencio

macrumors 68040
Jul 18, 2002
NYC
Feel like I've already posted on the whiskey thread, or these threads just keep dying and getting resurrected. Anyway:

Single malts:

Laphroaig
Talisker
Glenmorangie
Macallan

Blended scotch:

Dewars is my default choice when I'm at the bar just having a drink. They have an 18 year that's very good for the money.
I forget which Johnny Walker's I've tried, and really need to try more blended scotch whiskies in general.

Bourbon:

Woodford's Reserve
Maker's

I love bourbon, but two in one sitting give me a rip-roaring headache the next day.

Irish Whiskey:

Jameson

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
The "Macallen 18 Year Old" -

Macallan and Balvenie are my favourites. Macallan a bit more since it's sooo smooth.

You've never had a Johnnie Walker?
Never. Not even at all. I've heard bad thing about Red Label, and Blue Label as well, but haven't had JW. I've had dirt cheap single malts but never any blended stuff.

fotografica That Glenmorangie was the first single malt I ever had. Good choice I saw.

fotografica

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Boston
fotografica That Glenmorangie was the first single malt I ever had. Good choice I saw.

Glenmorangie and Talisker are two that I always have on hand. Two very dependable choices,IMO..
I recently tried a Bowmore,but wasn't a fan of the peaty flavor. Little too much for me...

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Glenmorangie and Talisker are two that I always have on hand. Two very dependable choices,IMO..
I recently tried a Bowmore,but wasn't a fan of the peaty flavor. Little too much for me...

Islay whiskies are far from my favourites.

I try to keep at least 2 Single Malts around. Usually a Balvenie and the second is always something new...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.