Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you giving FineWoven a chance?

• Total voters

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
GA
I returned my Pacific Blue FineWoven case, but now I am wondering what it will look like as it ages and wears in from new. My curiosity is really making me consider picking up another on launch day.

I have seen the video reviews, and I have read the threads on this forum with positive/negative first impressions. However, I realize we are still very early with our impressions and haven’t put the product to the test of daily wear and tear to see it age.

I figured I would make this thread and ask those who are keeping the FineWoven case to share their experiences through pictures and comments about the progression of the product in use.

Who has decided to keep their FineWoven products?

Can you share your case(s) now and along the way to help us better understand how it ages from daily usage?

gatorknight904

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Video reviews at this point are meaningless. The case comes with a warranty. Give it a shot.
I took my iPhone 14 Pro Max Leather case into the apple store because it developed a weird crack near volume buttons. Never been dropped and phone rarely removed. The case looks new other than the crack. I was well within the one year warranty and they would not replace it. It is the last Apple case I will ever buy. Fine woven just looks like a disaster from what I have seen and touched in store. Silicone cases usually end up peeling.

Last edited:

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
I took my iPhone 14 Pro Max Leather case into the apple store because it developed a weird crack near volume buttons. Never been dropped and phone rarely removed. The case look new other than the crack. I was well within the one year warranty and they would not replace it. It is the last Apple case I will ever buy. Fine woven just looks like a disaster from what I have seen and touched in store.
That Apple Store should have honored the warranty. As to the FW, that may be the case. I am going to reserve judgement until I use it.

Tofupunch

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2014
I received the case, opened it, and was very disappointed. If I didn't know that it replaced the premium leather case, I would've thought it sat below the silicone case in terms of price. Felt very cheap, it came with bits of lint on it, and overall was very underwhelming. Is leather really that terrible for the planet?

Theozz

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2015
France
I think Apple screwed up when introducing FW cases. They talked about not going with leather anymore and then introduced FW.

IMHO, they should have switched the order in which they introduced the no-more leather policy and FW. Because there is no way FW is meant to replace leather 😂

Lex404

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2023
PL (&US)
I was really looking forward to it until I saw the reviews...

probably if we visit an apple store a week later, after everyone touches this new case, we'll know better how it resists.. (unless the store folks changes them daily so they'll look like new)

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I'm giving it a try but I do think it is overpriced for what it is. I don't see me spending $60 again even if this one lasts until my next iPhone.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I’m seeing a lot of reviews calling these cases trash but I think it’s all premature. The build quality may just feel different because of an all new material combination. I haven’t held one personally but from what I gather it’s a weight thing mostly.

Some people hate the texture and some seem to really like it and that’s always going to be the case. You can’t please ‘em all.

Finewoven, to me, implies the stitching of this fabric is very tight so it won’t be picking up random grit and stains from everyday use. In the end, I think it’s very possible that you’ll see a patina similar to that of what you’d get on leather.

Again, I don’t own one and haven’t even laid hands on but I’m hopeful these receive better reception once we start to see how they age. And another again, what you see in store on display is not a good indicator of personal use.

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
I’m seeing a lot of reviews calling these cases trash but I think it’s all premature. The build quality may just feel different because of an all new material combination. I haven’t held one personally but from what I gather it’s a weight thing mostly.

Some people hate the texture and some seem to really like it and that’s always going to be the case. You can’t please ‘em all.

Finewoven, to me, implies the stitching of this fabric is very tight so it won’t be picking up random grit and stains from everyday use. In the end, I think it’s very possible that you’ll see a patina similar to that of what you’d get on leather.

Again, I don’t own one and haven’t even laid hands on but I’m hopeful these receive better reception once we start to see how they age. And another again, what you see in store on display is not a good indicator of personal use.
My biggest concern with them is how easily they scratch. Even mine came out of the box with a mark along the bottom right corner. IDK if the scratch can go away with water or something similar but they don't seem to go away with just the brush of your hand/fingers. For $60, I would expect better quality than that!

Reactions: Surfer13134

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
The brown FineWoven case on my new natural titanium 15 Pro looks and feels outstanding to my eye, I love it so much more than recent Apple silicone cases as well as recent year's leather versions (where the leather got thin and wouldn't patina well anymore.) As of this moment I'm thrilled but I absolutely admit I may be back here in a week saying it looks horrible and damaged... we shall see. I'm glad I'm giving it a try.

Reactions: Knowlege Bomb

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
My biggest concern with them is how easily they scratch. Even mine came out of the box with a mark along the bottom right corner. IDK if the scratch can go away with water or something similar but they don't seem to go away with just the brush of your hand/fingers. For $60, I would expect better quality than that!
How long have you had it? I would imagine it’d be like leather where the oils from usage would kinda hide it over time.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
The brown FineWoven case on my new natural titanium 15 Pro looks and feels outstanding to my eye, I love it so much more than recent Apple silicone cases as well as recent year's leather versions (where the leather got thin and wouldn't patina well anymore.) As of this moment I'm thrilled but I absolutely admit I may be back here in a week saying it looks horrible and damaged... we shall see. I'm glad I'm giving it a try.
Looking forward to seeing your progress. Care to share a photo of it new?

CooKieMoNs7eR

macrumors 68020
Nov 18, 2009
I'm gonna give it a try, apple has 14 day return policy right? so if I see it getting scratched up easily I'll return it.

humerc

macrumors member
Jul 4, 2015
I used it a few hours now, black case one black iPhone 15 Pro Max. Was out and took it multiple times in and out of my Jeans pocket, laid it on tables and of course, used my phone for calls and so on. No scratches so far, looks like fresh out of the box (in fact: it is).
Used my FW wallet the whole week, and it also looks like new.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Neither the leather nor silicone cases every held up particularly well for me so I expect no different for the fine woven cases which is why I ordered a DBrand case.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Neither the leather nor silicone cases every held up particularly well for me so I expect no different for the fine woven cases which is why I ordered a DBrand case.
My wife prefers the silicone cases and the one she had from last year was a mess when I replaced it about a week ago. Pretty much every corner had fallen apart but the color was still good. Apple’s leather cases always looked good for me but I’ve seen some that wore really poorly (I have an Ink case for my 14PM).

I have high hopes for the FineWoven but am not upgrading this year so just going to continue to roll with my Ink/Black RL combo along with the DBrand Ghost I’ll have sometime next month.

Is that the one you ordered?

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Looking forward to seeing your progress. Care to share a photo of it new?

Here are the new phones of my wife and I shot by my old iPhone 14 Pro... the purple of her case is fairly accurate but I can't emphasize how much more brown and dark my case is, I have no idea why I couldn't get it to look anything like real life. Also the photo makes the color/texture/lint look more uneven or noticeable than in real life, in real life the texture is very even, lint for now is unnoticeable, and the colors are richer and better looking. All in all we both love the fine woven cases (I nearly have always used silicone and occasionally leather, she uses silicone or a hard plastic "casetify" style case with designs) and its a great change of pace... the only issue (and it may be a huge one) is how they wear and if they look terrible in no time...

IMG_1724.jpeg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.