Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you giving FineWoven a chance?

• Total voters

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
Interesting iFixit article about the FW

Also on the MR front page.

fantastic, thanks... I love my FineWoven case but the reality is I know I'll get it marked up and at some point accidentally touch it with a greasy or dirty finger... this shows how badly that affects this style of case. I probably have more money than sense so I'll keep these cases for now until something inevitably bothers me enough I'll have to replace it.

Reactions: Boardiesboi

jukeboxaddict

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2014
I think Apple screwed up when introducing FW cases. They talked about not going with leather anymore and then introduced FW.

IMHO, they should have switched the order in which they introduced the no-more leather policy and FW. Because there is no way FW is meant to replace leather 😂

It costs the same 60 bucks. I think that’s a strong indication that it is.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA
It seems to develop scuffs in a very similar way to suede. Give it enough time and you’ll probably get a very personal pattern. The material itself seems very durable and not going to rip or tear, unless you really subject it to sharp objects.

Seriously considering getting one. It was much nicer than I expected.

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
GA
IMG_3509.jpeg
Here’s my day one pic of the Pacific Blue FineWoven case. I also picked up the wallet in taupe while activating my phone at the Apple Store. I’m excited to see how the case changes with use and plan to update this thread as it ages.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
View attachment 2277330 Here’s my day one pic of the Pacific Blue FineWoven case. I also picked up the wallet in taupe while activating my phone at the Apple Store. I’m excited to see how the case changes with use and plan to update this thread as it ages.
I have the same case with matching wallet. I also got the Mulberry FW wallet. It is a lot smoother than I thought it would be to handle and slide in and out of the pocket.

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
GA
I have the same case with matching wallet. I also got the Mulberry FW wallet. It is a lot smoother than I thought it would be to handle and slide in and out of the pocket.
I totally agree. My first impressions of this case on the phone are all positive. It is lightweight and feels good in the hand. The wallet attaches firmly to the case and takes more effort to remove than my leather on leather combo from the 14PM.

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
No, it is very sustainable actually and likely better for the planet than whatever material was used in this.

But I reviewed this case independent of it replacing leather anyway. It is garbage no matter what it replaced.
It's not sustainable if everyone returns it when they see how non-premium this premium price case is.

Reactions: robvalentine

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I like mine, it’s thinner than the leather cases. It feels good on the hands. It feels much better on the phone than when it’s just floppy without anything. Those who returned it without putting on the phone can’t really speak for how it feels.

It isn’t as nice as leather, but being thinner and the more solid fit is a plus. I’m happy with it. We’ll see how it ages, but I would buy another color in spring if they release the other half of the colors that were shown in the leaks. Wish it was $20 less, but to me it’s worth the extra cost over the silicone.

WaitingForGuacamole

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2021
When did I say the FW case was sustainable? I'm the one saying the opposite 1 billion times so far.
I’m not saying you made that claim, I’m agreeing with you and saying that if Apple thinks it’s sustainable, well, not so well done on their part. Sorry if I wasn’t clear there.

canyonblue737

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2005
I like mine, it’s thinner than the leather cases. It feels good on the hands. It feels much better on the phone than when it’s just floppy without anything. Those who returned it without putting on the phone can’t really speak for how it feels.

It isn’t as nice as leather, but being thinner and the more solid fit is a plus. I’m happy with it. We’ll see how it ages, but I would buy another color in spring if they release the other half of the colors that were shown in the leaks. Wish it was $20 less, but to me it’s worth the extra cost over the silicone.

I actually prefer it to the feel of leather, at least on day 1 & 2. I'm super satisfied with the feel and I think it is premium BUT everything depends on how it ages. I don't go out of my way to damage cases or get them stained but I'm not going to baby the phone for the sake of the case either so I'll certainly post how the cases looks in a few a months (or sooner if I decide to replace them because they look terrible already...) Everything will depend on how it looks over time, but so far on Day 2... I like it a lot.

GeneticBloom

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2009
California
I actually prefer it to the feel of leather, at least on day 1 & 2. I'm super satisfied with the feel and I think it is premium BUT everything depends on how it ages. I don't go out of my way to damage cases or get them stained but I'm not going to baby the phone for the sake of the case either so I'll certainly post how the cases looks in a few a months (or sooner if I decide to replace them because they look terrible already...) Everything will depend on how it looks over time, but so far on Day 2... I like it a lot.

I like the case itself more than the leather ones too. I like the soft feel of the leather more than the fabric, but to me the more secure fit and thinness of FW is better than the leather cases as a whole.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
Do these cases show the titanium frame like the leather cases did for the steel or do they wrap around and just show glass?

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
GA
View attachment 2277330 Here’s my day one pic of the Pacific Blue FineWoven case. I also picked up the wallet in taupe while activating my phone at the Apple Store. I’m excited to see how the case changes with use and plan to update this thread as it ages.
Well, after a day of use while out on the town, I noticed that the wallet has already gained a stain and the case has a scratch going down the side from the wallet being attached and detached through use.

I’m thinking this material is just not for me. I like the look and feel, but don’t want to be fearful of where I lay my phone and how poorly this $120 US combo looks at the end of each day.

Hopefully some of you will see greater success!

Reactions: shr631 and ozapple

ProfessionalFan

macrumors 603
Sep 29, 2016
I totally agree. My first impressions of this case on the phone are all positive. It is lightweight and feels good in the hand. The wallet attaches firmly to the case and takes more effort to remove than my leather on leather combo from the 14PM.

Well, after a day of use while out on the town, I noticed that the wallet has already gained a stain and the case has a scratch going down the side from the wallet being attached and detached through use.

I’m thinking this material is just not for me. I like the look and feel, but don’t want to be fearful of where I lay my phone and how poorly this $120 US combo looks at the end of each day.

This was fast, but thank you for updating everyone.

Ryan1524

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2003
Canada GTA

Thanks for the update. I’m very curious about this.

If you’re able to keep using them for 2-3 weeks, it would be interesting to see how things develop. Based on what I’ve seen at the store, FineWoven definitely should be treated more like suede or fabric, and doesn’t have the same stain/water resistance as leather.

Reactions: EclecticGent
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.