Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Are you giving FineWoven a chance?

• Total voters

EclecticGent

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2012
GA
Thanks for the update. I’m very curious about this.

If you’re able to keep using them for 2-3 weeks, it would be interesting to see how things develop. Based on what I’ve seen at the store, FineWoven definitely should be treated more like suede or fabric, and doesn’t have the same stain/water resistance as leather.
Well, they went back to the store today.

I actually had a couple in line in front of me that were returning for the same reasons. One of them held up their Taupe wallet and it was really stained up. The employee asked about what happened and the customer stated that he was washing dishes and reached for his phone without thinking. The soap and water combo left the case darkened akin to when you spill coffee on fabric car upholstery without cleaning it up. It was shocking to see. Even the employee said that he wouldn’t be going the FineWoven route himself based on what he has seen.

I’m happy with my decision to return it, and I still hope to see some posts about wear and aging over the next few weeks/months.

Last edited:

wolfboy

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2010
Thanks for the update. I’m very curious about this.

If you’re able to keep using them for 2-3 weeks, it would be interesting to see how things develop. Based on what I’ve seen at the store, FineWoven definitely should be treated more like suede or fabric, and doesn’t have the same stain/water resistance as leather.
These cases seem to barely last a day, let alone a few weeks. From everything I'm reading, it really sounds about the same as using a case made out of of tablecloth.

I don't know what kind of testing Apple has done, but it's crazy that they made a case that can't even handle wet hands.

RPhoto

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Surrey, UK
Heres mine today, used since release day. Used it as normal, placed it on tables, carried in my pocket, often sits on the car centre console sort of on its side, with the back touching some plastic trim, dropped it down the side of the bedside drawer, have handed it to several people to look at. Sure there will be people out there who have somehow scratched it to oblivion, whilst all the did was take it out their pocket or some such innocent act that somehow proves it’s fragile and cheap, but I think it’s fair to say the overreactions on this case have been off the scale.

Happy with mine. Equally happy if you’re not happy with yours. Plenty of alternatives out there 👌

Attachments

• IMG_0578.jpeg
    IMG_0578.jpeg
    436.7 KB · Views: 362

gagee

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2019
Well, they went back to the store today.

I actually had a couple in line in front of me that were returning for the same reasons. One of them held up their Taupe wallet and it was really stained up. The employee asked about what happened and the customer stated that he was washing dishes and reached for his phone without thinking. The soap and water combo left the case darkened akin to when you spill coffee on fabric car upholstery without cleaning it up. It was shocking to see. Even the employee said that he wouldn’t be going the FineWoven route himself based on what he has seen.

I’m happy with my decision to return it, and I still hope to see some posts about wear and aging over the next few weeks/months.
What case are you going to end up using now that you hve returned the finewoven case.

swerve147

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2013
I now have both the evergreen and mulberry and I’m keeping both.

Whenever there’s a stain or smudge, I just get a towel and dampen with some soapy water and give the back a wipe until it’s slightly moist/dampened. When it dries it looks as new.

Same. I use one of those cheap bamboo soft bristle toothbrushes you can get at Amazon. Fill one small Dixie cup with a few drops of liquid hand soap and water and another with just tap. A quick dip in the soapy water, brush the entire back surface, then a second dip in the tap and repeat, then let it air dry. Pretty much brings it back to newish.

The maintenance can be a turnoff but it is what it is. The case is still worth at most $20 and a pain to keep clean, but I decided to keep it because I like the feel and fit.

AlexBlackngrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
i love the case itself but the quality seems noot very good, the edges from the fw back looking terrible after a few days, i have 4 days left to send it back, i am not sure what i do

shr631

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2013
Blue FW, so far I really like it! In fact, despite the compelling rationale to return it, I’m reluctant because the heart wants what it wants 🤷🏻‍♂️🤣

I’m not defending or proselytizing, it has its drawbacks. And I’ve had some nice cases over the years including apple leather, silicone, several pitakas (ez & pro), caudabe, totallee, ringke…etc - you guys get it - so I know what it’s not lol.

But I’m not comparing it or trying to have it be one of those. It is what it is, warts and all. Is worth $60? I’d tell most friends and family NO! But it’s more of an indulgence for me and I dig it.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
FineWoven = Nonstarter. ❌ I love some of the colors - especially the blue; but I'm a cyclist - the FineWoven material would look horrible after a couple of weeks in my grubby hands!

Having been a happy Apple leather customer in the past, I'm moving on to Bullstrap leather.

Reactions: aibo

AlexBlackngrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
can you post a pic?
It’s hard to get it on a photo, on work with good light you see it a little bit more, my struggle is only how will it end if you see the edges after a few days, and it looked like it’s rubbed like ifixit showed the picture from the texture itself

Attachments

• IMG_0509.jpeg
    IMG_0509.jpeg
    435.9 KB · Views: 328
  • IMG_0504.jpeg
    IMG_0504.jpeg
    379.4 KB · Views: 335

drew0020

macrumors 68020
Nov 10, 2006
My Taupe case for the iPhone 15 Pro looks great after about 13 days of usage. The only issue is a slight indentation from MagSafe charging (which Apple warned and is the same thing that happened to my Apple leather case.)

I’ve been enjoying the case and prefer it to the “cheap” (except price) Apple leather case which did not patina and had black marks all over the edges unlike any leather patina I’ve ever seen.

iFone88

macrumors 68020
Oct 5, 2018
It’s hard to get it on a photo, on work with good light you see it a little bit more, my struggle is only how will it end if you see the edges after a few days, and it looked like it’s rubbed like ifixit showed the picture from the texture itself
Ouch. That doesn’t look great. I’ll be returning if mine goes that bad, that quickly.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
My only complaint and worry is that the more I remove the case, the more I worry that I’m going to break it. It really seems a bit flimsy when I’m trying to take it off of my phone.

AlexBlackngrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
It got even worse, this case is so much better in hands as the not apple brand, but the quality is so trash, how will it look after a few months? Like a 10 years old couch?

Attachments

• IMG_0682.jpeg
    IMG_0682.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 312
Reactions: aibo

AlexBlackngrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
Yeah true, but my problem is it happened to fast, a little bit longer and the whole back look like this, for me it’s kinda „rubbed“ so it’s damaged, on leather you get a patina which is realy nice but here it’s worn

techno-Zen

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
You've got dirty pockets then brother..

Was I the only one to wipe the old leather cases occaisionally? I wipe these finewoven's down with a wet paper towel and it looks good as new. Outside of a ding from a drop, which would've likely made a bigger ding in the leather.

AlexBlackngrey

macrumors newbie
Oct 2, 2023
You've got dirty pockets then brother..

Was I the only one to wipe the old leather cases occaisionally? I wipe these finewoven's down with a wet paper towel and it looks good as new. Outside of a ding from a drop, which would've likely made a bigger ding in the leather.
But for me it look rubbed, not like dirt, my thoughts are it comes from put it in and out from my pocket

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.