Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mackinjosh

Suspended
Aug 21, 2014
No. I’m sorry but what I said is true. Every time someone posted a video or picture of their messed up keyboard it was covered in grime. Try again.
Your argument is dumb. Many of the keyboard issues were caused by heat forcing a flex in the bottom of the laptop which affected the keyboard. And even if it was crumbs, that shouldn't kill a keyboard.

GStevens1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2019
i had a 2015 that just started failing on me mid last year. handful of failed repairs later, apple hands me a comparable 2018 macbook pro.

and then i find out now they're soldering the ssd to the logic board...lord have mercy.

Yup.

Don't forget... The 2012-2015 models have removable and upgradeable storage options, so you could upgrade to larger and faster storage options later - they also have a data recovery port, if you want to pull data directly off the SSD.

The engineers have diabolically and maliciously removed the data recovery port on 2016+ models , eliminating the ability to recover data if the machine is completely dead, and, the SSD is permanently soldered (as you already know).

Why on earth would they design it this way?

It's simple and genius actually. To increase icloud service revenue, by increasing monthly subscription accounts and increasing revenues of each tier/subscription. It's actually quite clever, and people are paying BILLIONS for icloud subscriptions. I read an article that stated that Apple's services division (there are divisions for hardware, software, services, etc...) alone generates more revenue than the entire McDonald's corporation worldwide. Let that sink in for a moment. Only one small division in a tech company, makes more revenue than an entire worldwide fast food corporation, from just icloud subscriptions. How do you keep increasing this money printing machine? Remove the ability to add/remove/repair/upgrade storage in your computers, and PREVENT people from trying to recover their data if their machine fails.

That's like a doctor, not just preventing you from receiving a new appendage, but sabotaging your body to prevent you from ever receiving a new replacement appendage.

Ouch!

I must admit, they are geniuses, and many millions line up around the block for this...

Sharkoneau

macrumors 6502a
Jan 13, 2017
Michigan
You can purchase AppleCare anytime during the first year after it was purchased, so if you want it, there's still time.
Thanks! For some reason I only thought it was a three-month period. I might consider making the investment now. Back then it was a gift and cost enough, couldn’t have morally justified asking for that haha :eek:
[doublepost=1549075377][/doublepost]
I'm in a similar situation. Bought a 15" this Black Friday and although Apple has temporarily extended the AppleCare+ purchase period for 90 days I'm loathe to spend another $500+ CAD on this laptop. Should I take a chance that, if the problem should arise even in 3-4 years time, Apple will do the right thing and fix the problem for free?
That’s the worrying thing. You can know everything about a company’s policies now, but can’t possibly forecast how those will change down the road.

It’s crazy just how much the coverage costs, at least to me. I don’t have the heftiest income currently.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
You can purchase AppleCare anytime during the first year after it was purchased, so if you want it, there's still time.

Hate to have to correct you on this one, but Apple changed it to the first sixty (60) days a couple of years ago.

Pro-Tip: If you have the Apple Support app on your iOS device, it will tell you how many days you have left to purchase AppleCare(+) regardless of the device, as long as it is registered to the same Apple ID.

Marconelly

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2008
This generation of MBPs is cursed. I don’t know what else to say. So many problems with the keyboard on 2016 model, that they gave me 2017 model eventually. Then I got keyboard problems on it too, So they had to replace whole bottom case. Now I’m getting problems with some keys again, but so far I’ve been able to remove them, and clean the grime under them successfully. Last thing I’ll need is this cable to start cracking, and I do close and open it all the time.

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
Thanks! For some reason I only thought it was a three-month period. I might consider making the investment now. Back then it was a gift and cost enough, couldn’t have morally justified asking for that haha :eek:
[doublepost=1549075377][/doublepost]
That’s the worrying thing. You can know everything about a company’s policies now, but can’t possibly forecast how those will change down the road.

It’s crazy just how much the coverage costs, at least to me. I don’t have the heftiest income currently.

You should buy the AppleCare if you possibly can and have the piece of mind for the extra two years. I do not take it for granted that a Apple will always do the right thing. Just my 2¢.

briko

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2015

This is no longer true :(. They retired "AppleCare" for Mac and replaced it with the more expensive "AppleCare+" following the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar redesign. You can read the full terms on the support website. Here is the relevant portion:

https://www.apple.com/support/products/mac.html said:
Purchase AppleCare+ with your new Mac. Or buy it within 60 days of your Mac purchase.

Edit: Whoops, Zdigital2015 beat me to it.

Last edited:

baxyp

macrumors newbie
Dec 8, 2015
Lets be realistic - there will be a recall...

Based on my experience with 2011 MBP with failing GPU, there won’t be a recall and you end up most likely paying for the repairs yourself.

The gpu failed twice in my machine and even though there was a repair program I had to pay full price because their diagnostic software told them it was not covered by the program. I mean - wth - you are diagnosing a failed gpu which gives back completely random results... Maybe it did not fail entirely and something in it was still ticking and telling the diagnostics that everything is ok :) Man use your eyes...

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Like when a glued-in MacBook battery dies? Or an iPad battery?
Replacements on wearable parts is one thing. Expensive $600-$800 top lid replacements because a speck of dust has rendered your unremovable keyboard inoperable is something else.

No, it’s not due to the battery failing, the system fails to see/charge the battery so you can’t separate the keyboard from clipboard, solution? Replacement. Just hoping it becomes s recall issue before the warranty expires as one of our clients sales team uses them and they are currently replacing 6 a month due to this issue out of their 50 units. Other clients have now gone with HP spectre laptops after similar power problems.

Reactions: GStevens1

Delgibbons

macrumors 6502a
Dec 14, 2016
London

Some 2016 and later MacBook Pro models appear to be displaying issues with uneven backlighting caused by a delicate and easy-to-break flex cable, which has been dubbed "flexgate."

Impacted machines can feature uneven lighting at the bottom of the screen, which looks a bit like a "stage light" effect, and the display can eventually fail entirely.

macbook-pro-flexgate-800x449.jpg

Image via MacRumors reader SourceSunToM
What's the cause?

According to repair site iFixit, which first highlighted the problem, 2016 and later MacBook Pro machines are using thin, fragile display flex cables that are prone to malfunctioning with repeated closing and opening of the MacBook Pro's display.

The flex cables are loosely wrapped around the display controller board and when the MacBook's display is opened, the cables are pulled tighter, leading to tears and problems over time.

2016-macbook-pro-flexgate-800x534.jpeg

Image via iFixit
iFixit says the backlight cable is usually the one to break first, leading to backlighting issues and eventual display failure.

Which models are affected?

The issue can impact any 13 or 15-inch MacBook Pro model manufactured in 2016, 2017, or 2018, though it appears to be affecting Touch Bar models more frequently.

Apple introduced a redesigned MacBook Pro in 2016, and this was the first to use the new flex cable. Older MacBook Pro models are not impacted because they use a more durable wire that was routed through the hinge instead of around it, mitigating the stress of repeated display openings.

The new MacBook Air models could also eventually be impacted. While they use a different display cable design, iFixit says the cables also wrap over the display board and could potentially exhibit the same failure. It's not clear yet if that will happen, however.

How long does it take for the problem to show up?

When you first buy a MacBook Pro, the flex cable functions perfectly. With repeated closing and opening of the MacBook Pro's lid, however, the durability can decline, leading to the display issues.

Since it takes time for the cable to break down, machines experiencing this issue generally do not display it for several months to years after purchase. Because it takes time to show up, affected MacBook Pro models may no longer be under the one-year warranty.

What do I do if my MacBook Pro has this issue?

If your MacBook Pro has this display issue, the first step is visiting an Apple retail store or contacting Apple support.

Unfortunately, when this problem surfaces, many MacBook Pro models are older than a year and no longer covered by the standard one-year warranty. Those who have an extended AppleCare+ warranty will be able to get their repairs covered by Apple.

Customers who do not have AppleCare+ may be required to pay out of pocket for repairs. While it's a simple cable that needs replacing, because of the way the MacBook Pro is designed, the flex cable is integrated into the display and requires the entire display assembly to be replaced.

This can cost upwards of $600 for customers who are out of the warranty period.

There have been reports of customers no longer under the one-year warranty that have been offered free or reduced cost repairs from Apple, but others have had to pay full price. Without a consistent policy in place, repair outcomes will vary.

How many people are affected?

Just how many MacBook Pro models are experiencing this issue remains unknown, but a growing number of complaints have been surfacing over the course of the last few months. There have been complaints on the MacRumors forums and the Apple Support Communities.

What does Apple have to say?

Apple hasn't commented on the issue at this point in time, and there is no repair program in place. Impacted users have started a website and a petition with the aim of getting Apple to offer free repairs via an extended warranty program.

Discuss this issue

If you have a MacBook Pro experiencing this flexcable issue, check out the ongoing discussion on the MacRumors forums where are users are sharing their experiences with Apple support, replacement machines, repair costs, and more.

Article Link: 'Flexgate' Display Issues Affecting 2016 MacBook Pro and Later
It's the new stage footlights feature.
[doublepost=1549099020][/doublepost]
OK now this is a serious problem unlike complaints about the keyboard which were really more about hygiene and personal habits (eating while using it) than anything else.

My 2016 15” has held up really well. Hell it’s still in mint condition but that’s because I regularly clean it (wiping down the keyboard, display and case) after prolonged use. I also never slam the display shut.

I will actually take it in before the end of the year to complain about the keyboard having problems just to get a fresh battery before my AppleCare is up. Then I will either sell it or keep it for another year. It all depends on what they release this year.

Yeah keyboards should just repeat the letter e for no reason at all.

ikir

macrumors 68020
Sep 26, 2007
Opening and closing it many times a day, no issue. My friends are still on 2016 model bought in novembre 2016 so far so good. I’m working as an it tech support and still haven’t seen this issue. Not saying it could not happen but posting it as news became a much bigger issue for users, they now all fear every MacBook Pro do that in few months

Reactions: ElRojito and daveak

ksec

macrumors 68020
Dec 23, 2015
The Touch Bar MBP, that is 2016 - 2018 are looking like the worst MBP in history.

It has USB-C / Thunderbolt high voltage problem, it is easier to fry the port and the design flaw has been there for three iteration now.

The Fliexcable are showing its age, only two to three years of use.

Keyboard has the highest error rate and expensive to repair. The double tabbing and key stuck are still happening on 2018, just not as much as on 1st and 2nd gen Butterfly keyboard. ( No it isn't just about personal hygiene or things get stuck inside ) Not to mention many absolutely loathe the feeling of butterfly Keyboard.

The larger trackpad make it easier for false positive input, something Apple tries to solve with Software but hasn't worked.

TouchBar makes MBP expensive and offers little value to many users.

I am hoping 2019 will get a full revamp of Mac. Everything from Mac Pro, iMac, MacBook and MacBook Pro.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
That's very interesting that you say this.
I am typing on a 2013 Apple Macbook Pro 15 Retina, that has never needed a repair, has only 4 battery discharge cycles, and has been the greatest laptop I've ever owned.

Tomorrow morning, I am purchasing a mint condition 2015 Macbook Pro 15 Retina, 2.8GHz with the 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM laptop which was kept in a case for its whole life. I really like that the 2012 - 2015 Macbook Pros are still serviceable by users, hard drives are removable and upgradeable, data recovery ports are in tack, and repairs are relatively easy.

The new 2016+ Macbook Pros are engineered to be non-repairable 100%, and they have factory defective designs (faulty display design issues, keyboard issues, no internal data recovery port, non removable storage, lack of legacy ports, garbage keyboard when it does happen to work, soldered in storage, no magsafe power plugs, no illuminated apple logo, no function keys, and the list goes on and on). I feel so terrible for folks that spent $3k - $6k+ for a notebook that has constant hardware defects.

I am thankful that I didn't follow everyone else and "upgrade" to the 2016 line the minute they were released. I'm seeing some on craigslist which were sold for $3k going for around $1,XXX range. Some people out there are starting to become smart. Their extended applecare + warranty on 2016 units will fail this year in 2019, and they will be stuck with massive repair bills, not IF but WHEN.

I will let go of my 2013, 2015 Macbook Pro Retina laptops, once I'm dead and/or killed.

As of now, I'm not sure I would even take a 2016+ Macbook Pro *for free,* due to the faulty and unreliable hardware which is guaranteed to fail someday depending upon usage. If given one for free, I would quickly sell it to some unsuspecting idiot.

I would, I wouldn't mind a free computer, or a backup computer, but I'm not letting go of my amazing CTO Late 2013 15". It's just great, even though I've had a few issues with it (dead Nvidia, faulty webcam, rubbish battery). But there is no way I'm buying a 2016-2018 MacBook Pro. Free though, I wouldn't mind.:D

alFR

macrumors 68030
Aug 10, 2006
Because it fits with their design choices for the machine overall (which might not be your priorities - if not then don't buy the machine if you don't want to) and anyone who knows anything at all about computers knows that data effectively doesn't exist if it's only on one piece of physical media, uses one of the approximately million ways of backing that data up locally or to the cloud e.g. Time Machine (which, in case you'd forgotten, is built-in, enabled by default and if you've not set it up yet actually suggests you use it every time you plug in an external drive), SuperDuper, Carbon Copy Cloner, Chronosync, a cron job, Backblaze etc. etc. and has been for years. No need to pay for iCloud storage (and that's not really a backup anyway, as it won't protect you against accidental file deletions).
Only one small division in a tech company, makes more revenue than an entire worldwide fast food corporation, from just icloud subscriptions.
Services revenue includes iTunes, Apple Music, App Store and Apple Pay as well, not just iCloud subs. Still, why let facts get in the way of a good rant / conspiracy theory?

Last edited:

Awesom-0

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2017
Based on my experience with 2011 MBP with failing GPU, there won’t be a recall and you end up most likely paying for the repairs yourself.

The gpu failed twice in my machine and even though there was a repair program I had to pay full price because their diagnostic software told them it was not covered by the program. I mean - wth - you are diagnosing a failed gpu which gives back completely random results... Maybe it did not fail entirely and something in it was still ticking and telling the diagnostics that everything is ok :) Man use your eyes...
Don't forget the 2007 models as well. Mine failed while Apple lied about being effected like every single one other company was.

They extended the warranty and they fixed it but broke the optical out and it wouldn't burn a disk anymore. Didn't notice that in 30 days and they wouldn't fix it I gave it away after that. Don't have time for that crap and I wasn't going to sell it for someone else to have issues

Reactions: Mendota

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
This is no longer true :(. They retired "AppleCare" for Mac and replaced it with the more expensive "AppleCare+" following the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar redesign. You can read the full terms on the support website. Here is the relevant portion:

Edit: Whoops, Zdigital2015 beat me to it.

The more eyeballs, the better...I was too tired to hunt for the link.

Really liked having a year to decide, allowed me to spread out that extra cost...they always get me anyways. I had a one too many PowerBook G4’s crap out on me to ever fully put my faith in a year warranty. Oh, and an entire run of Late 2012 iMacs that needed to have their hard drives replaced, one iMac twice...oh, and a couple of those “legendary” Mid 2012 15” Retina MacBook Pros that everyone seem to think walk on water... it didn’t.

However, the extra $30 cut and the 60 day cut off sticks in my craw. Even 90 days would be better or better yet, 180. However, 60 days is designed to flatten out income inside a quarter or at most defer anticipated income to the following quarter, which makes it more predictable than giving buyers almost 4 full quarters to decide. Purely a finance/accounting move in my eyes. The jacking up of AppleCare across the board irks me more. Of course, these type of things happened under Steve Jobs’ watch as well, so I cannot lay it all on Tim Cook’s doorstep.
[doublepost=1549126208][/doublepost]
Yup.

Don't forget... The 2012-2015 models have removable and upgradeable storage options, so you could upgrade to larger and faster storage options later - they also have a data recovery port, if you want to pull data directly off the SSD.

The engineers have diabolically and maliciously removed the data recovery port on 2016+ models , eliminating the ability to recover data if the machine is completely dead, and, the SSD is permanently soldered (as you already know).

It's simple and genius actually. To increase icloud service revenue, by increasing monthly subscription accounts and increasing revenues of each tier/subscription. It's actually quite clever, and people are paying BILLIONS for icloud subscriptions. I read an article that stated that Apple's services division (there are divisions for hardware, software, services, etc...) alone generates more revenue than the entire McDonald's corporation worldwide. Let that sink in for a moment. Only one small division in a tech company, makes more revenue than an entire worldwide fast food corporation, from just icloud subscriptions. How do you keep increasing this money printing machine? Remove the ability to add/remove/repair/upgrade storage in your computers, and PREVENT people from trying to recover their data if their machine fails.

That's like a doctor, not just preventing you from receiving a new appendage, but sabotaging your body to prevent you from ever receiving a new replacement appendage.

Ouch!

I must admit, they are geniuses, and many millions line up around the block for this...
“Diabolically and maliciously”?

What’s next for them? Waxing the steps at the old folk’s home? Loosening baby buggy wheels? Building a ”laaaaser”, codenamed “the Alan Parsons Project”, while they twirl their handlebar moustaches?

Regarding “removable” storage on the Retina 2012-2015 models, you do realize that finding an SSAUX or SSUBX new is not cheap in the least, most third party options are nowhere near as fast as what Apple shipped, except for maybe the SATA SSD in the 2012 MacBook Pro. God forbid, you want an Apple Polaris SSD...I would have better luck playing Call of Cthulhu and keeping my wits.

It’s not like Apple made it easy to replace, very few people are going to be able to go to Fry’s on a weekend and find a replacement drive for their 2015 MacBook Pro. The DRAM has been soldered on the Retina since 2012. It’s not that upgradeable, not so much more than the 2016-2018, that one pines for the “good old days”, or at least they shouldn’t. The people with delaminating screens certainly aren’t.

Too many of you are romanticizing the 2012-2015 MacBook Pros. It’s like Jim Nantz and Peyton Manning all over again.

But...those EVIL geniuses!!!

Last edited:

Macintoshrumors

Suspended
Oct 18, 2016
Wow. Apple should at least replace this ones for free. Microsoft replaced my surface pro 4 after three years for free because of the flickering screen issue. I would expect Apple to do the same.
You are aware that MS and Apple are two totally different companies and do not operate the same nor owe you anything?
[doublepost=1549137240][/doublepost]
Yup.

Ouch!

Cloud revenue? If you could only use icloud, yes i see your poing but there are SEVERAL cloud options on the market. Are you talking about just the cloud market in general? Id that was the case, there wouldnt be any thing more than 128gb models.

I dont buy the cloud storage tin foil hat opinion based on logic. Imo the only reason why the 128gb version exist is for the option to utilize cloud storage if your needs exceed basic computing

There isnt some grand conspiracy to rev up cloud revenue. That isnt the case.

ADudeInBoston

macrumors newbie
Feb 23, 2012
I've already replaced my MBP with a Surface Book 2. If my wife's MBP goes, its replacement won't be a Mac.

I, too, like the Surface Books a lot. We bought one for my daughter for engineering school after comparing it with the MacBook Pro. She absolutely loves it. That said, the volume up/down buttons on the screen/tablet portion malfunctioned a month after the warranty expired, and at first Microsoft’s only proposed solution was to pay $800 for a refurb unit. Happily a different Microsoft Store’s manager stepped up and replaced it with a brand new unit, but still.... I guess laptops are an area where the extended warranty *does* make sense, regardless of brand.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
I've been very tempted to update my mid 2012 MacBook Pro to a 2018 one, but I'm very hesitant. So many issues with the recent Macs, but my 2012 one is running like a tank.

Reactions: Mendota

cult hero

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
Eh.

1. -gate to everything is reaching new levels of total irritation. Just stop it. This is a manufacturing issue, not a scandal.

2. Got a 13” 2016 within two weeks of it coming out. Machine has been fine. Reading these forums you’d think every time one of these defects is found every single person with the machine is afflicted.

Anecdotally, I’ve had way fewer issues at my office and with fellow developers with the 2016 models about two years in than the original 2012 rMBPs. Those things still give me more grief than any of the prior unibody models.

Reactions: philosoraptor1
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.