Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Bless those that take the time to make great tools like this:

Yup, some great tools are out there to make the job easy. I make a point of asking everyone new I meet about privacy. The answer is always the same, if they are not a tech type person they are not even interested enough to want the discussion 😅

• Love
Reactions: turbineseaplane

Cape Dave

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2012
Northeast
I'm the opposite simply because I had mistakenly looked at the inside of many pre-builts and asked myself what type of glue they were sniffing when they built it.

And then the inside of mass produced boxes make me want to cry.

That's just me, though :)

Also, I like building pretty boxes I can't get elsewhere, like my current one. Much pretty :)

View attachment 2355092
I get that because many a time I built my own because there was such crap available. Now I have the Phantom Canyon. If I ever moved I wold only get the Mac Mini. It is the perfect computer for me and I would run parallels. But too old to ever deal with little screws again. Ever. Sealed box for me!

Reactions: keithop and LeeW

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
As an aside - man is it REFRESHING to be able to install tweaks like this on your computer!!!

There is so much fun to be had with this type of customization of the experience

• Love
Reactions: Cape Dave and LeeW

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Never heard of it, gonna check it out. If only there was something similar for the horribly dated MacOS ui/ux!

It kills me that Apple has the Finder locked down
There is SO SO SO much that third parties could and would do to improve the heck out of it

Heck - just to bring some personality back to it

I really miss tweaking the icons and colors of the sidebar

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
Be still my heart! (yes, this is Win 11, fully updated)

Screenshot 2024-03-03 131159.png

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Speaking of this..

Drop dead simple
This one or the Titus one are my gotos...

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
I use Start 11. Works very well. I just basically use it to make my Win 11 start menu look like it did when I was on Win 10:
View attachment 2355145
Ewww, report builder. ;)

Edited to add: Man, I am having to pick up Azure Data Studio and man! It is a bit different than just using SSIS and SSAS and SSMS...😭😭😭

Last edited:

jakey rolling

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2022
Ewww, report builder. ;)
Could be worse - I used to spend a lot of time in Crystal Reports. I'll take Report Builder any day. :)

I do prefer to edit SSRS reports using Visual Studio, though. Problem is that I've moved into supporting a different ERP system, and for that platform it is easier to launch reports to edit in Report Builder than to create a whole VS Project.

Edited to add: Man, I am having to pick up Azure Data Studio and man! It is a bit different than just using SSIS and SSAS and SSMS...😭😭😭
I like using ADS for editing SQL queries, but other than that, I usually still work in SSMS most of the time.

• Love
Reactions: eltoslightfoot

eltoslightfoot

macrumors 68020
Feb 25, 2011
Could be worse - I used to spend a lot of time in Crystal Reports. I'll take Report Builder any day. :)

I do prefer to edit SSRS reports using Visual Studio, though. Problem is that I've moved into supporting a different ERP system, and for that platform it is easier to launch reports to edit in Report Builder than to create a whole VS Project.

I like using ADS for editing SQL queries, but other than that, I usually still work in SSMS most of the time.

That is definitely a good use case for using report builder. We have shifted to using PowerBI, mostly.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
Indeed, however, most users won't learn that. Why? Because they don't care. Most users are not ignorant of telemetry; they don't understand it but know it's there. They will leave it alone until it gets in their way, or they have a specific reason to be wary of it.

I don't believe most Apple users care or use Apple with privacy as a top reason. It's just a preference for them.
A user's ignorance is not an excuse. Just like a law. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from the law. You are still bound by the restrictions or requirements of a law whether you know it or not. Many examples could be cited.

Caveat Emptor is a saying that has been around for a while basically you need to educate yourself before you do or buy anything otherwise there is a potential for you to be mislead or even lied to and you would not know otherwise. How do you think so many salespeople at BestBuy make a living selling outdated stuff to people who don't know better and seem to be happy.

So if you use any device connected to the internet and don't understand all of the implications of your data and what it means and how companies and hackers use it then you really shouldn't be on the internet. It is a predatory place for those who don't know better.

On top of that is the simple ability to customize the UI, restrict the OS, and many other advanced features to change even the way Windows looks and works down to file explorer. Tweaks are made pretty easy with scripts as posted on this forum. Can you do that with MacOS? Sure, MacOS is more privacy and security by default because of it's Unix core but you can't change anything as it is locked down. If Apple changes their mind and decides to scan all Mac related devices for CSAM or whatever else what can you do about it? Nothing. It was an eye opening moment for me. Go ahead put perverts behind bars but opening an official back door into the OS is rather concerning on many levels.

If Microsoft pulls a stunt like that with Windows I can either disable it or install Linux with a Mac you are pretty much stuck.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
A user's ignorance is not an excuse. Just like a law. Ignorance of the law does not exempt you from the law. You are still bound by the restrictions or requirements of a law whether you know it or not. Many examples could be cited.

Ignorance of the law versus knowing it and then choosing to break it are different things. Everyone has choices.

As I said, I don't believe most users are entirely ignorant of telemetry. They choose not to make it an issue for them, however aware of its existence and impact. It's everyone's right to make that choice.

I can educate someone on the risks of using the same password for every site they visit. They understand the risks fully, I can't force them to use a password manager or change to a different password for everything. It's their choice. They know what could happen.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
Speaking of this..

Drop dead simple

This is awesome. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.