Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arn

macrumors god
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It seems there is also lot of interest in the Folding @ Home client...

http://folding.stanford.edu/

Read for yourself, but basically it is attempting to learn more about protein folding with respect to certain diseases.

I just started a Macrumors Team for those interested in it as well:

http://folding.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/teampage?q=3446

I'll promote it on the main page in the next week or so to seperate it from the SETI Team. I had a reservation about starting up two teams at the same time, as it splits our efforts... but to each their own... every bit helps the teams, and this is all for fun and hopefully some benefit to the researchers.

arn

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Even though Folding is a good idea, I perfer Seti, its the original one and its just so cool.

Good luck with the Folding Team!

Ensign

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
in folding...

how does one know if it's moving along? it says "working" but the progress remains at 0.0% even after a while.... how long does a unit take normally? i'm on dual 800... just so i know if something's not working right or if i just need to give it some time....

GovernmentAgent

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2002
San Diego
folding

It takes a few hours to "see" progress on the % complete for the protein folding program because one unit is 24 hours on a standard machine (400mHz G4, I think).

Does anyone know if the data that one crunches during the day is lost if the computer is turned off at night (considering the 24 hour typical runtime of a work unit)?

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
Well, gentlemen... I have the honor of being the first user to submit a unit under the auspices of team 3446 (aka Macrumors.com folding team). I was able to do it first as I was already working on a unit and was almost done when Arn so graciously allowed the Folding team to gravey-train off of the success of the seti team.

To answer a few questions the best i can.... yes, folding does continue where you left off. And I dont know how long it takes, but i would estimate my 466 g4 does a unit in about 12 hours, but you may notice, i am new, as i only have submitted one unit.

One cool thing i like about folding is it tells you what protein you are working on, and you can go to the web and research that protein.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Well, I'll be running both Seti and Folding. I think that both of these projects will be useful in the future. I would not argue that curing diseases is more important than Space Research or vise-versa.

Good luck to everyone on seti and on folding...

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
in folding...

how does one know if it's moving along? it says "working" but the progress remains at 0.0% even after a while.... how long does a unit take normally? i'm on dual 800... just so i know if something's not working right or if i just need to give it some time....

The first unit seems to take ages always...maybe its a benchmark thing...anyway, I have the SETI screensaver that runs when I'm not here and folding@home client that is a startup item when I login...so we don't have to divide our efforts...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
when using the folding control app.... do you have to do something to report the results?

i completed a unit but it didn't show up on the website that i can tell...

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule
when using the folding control app.... do you have to do something to report the results?

i completed a unit but it didn't show up on the website that i can tell...

Are you looking at your user profile or teampage? Because if you change teams during a work unit, it goes towards only one of the teams but you can see your entire history in your user profile..

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
I show jelloshots as contributing, has this issue been resolved?

we got six member as of now. rock on, this research may save lives

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
Come on everyone...we need way more members...lets try top 500 by the end of the year...thats over 500 we have to gain but we can do it with more members..GO! MR! GO!..

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Dr. Distortion -- the folding control is great - I'm now processing WU's a lot faster! Does anyone know of a similar control for windows. My PC is taking a *long time* to process one work unit and I suspect it's just because of the graphics...

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, help me out here!! I think I must being stupid or something! I downloaded Folding Control + it does not seem to be doing anthing! It tells me which protein is being processed, but there is no progress (Dual 1Ghz, also running SETI).

Do you have to register??

On the user tab, what do you enter? I have put a username (dont know if I need to register a username somewhere + I have put 3446 in the Team Number. Is this correct??

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Ok, help me out here!! I think I must being stupid or something! I downloaded Folding Control + it does not seem to be doing anthing! It tells me which protein is being processed, but there is no progress (Dual 1Ghz, also running SETI).

Do you have to register??

On the user tab, what do you enter? I have put a username (dont know if I need to register a username somewhere + I have put 3446 in the Team Number. Is this correct??
To actually register some progress, you have to wait a while for it to register. The increments are in 2.0% (in the GUI client). So if you see the protein moving in the display, then it's working.

I don't know about the CLI client.

IndyGopher

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2001
Indianapolis, IN
Right now I am putting away about 100 units a week on SETI.. Can someone who has run both give me an idea of how many I could expect to produce on the Folding effort? Or is it too dissimilar to make those sorts of comparisons?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.