Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Ok, I process bar completed twice + I nothing has happened! Nothing on the team stats + cant find my name on the search page. Whats going on? When the progress reached the end no message was given, just seems to have started again! Has it sent them back?

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
i've found that some of the time the standard folding@home OS X client just doesn't send the WU's back... try the folding control instead, that's always worked for me.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
BTW, i should have mentioned that there is a delay from when you submit your WU to it showing up on the page... This is normally a couple of hours.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Seems that the different computers I'm running folding on get different workloads. Maybe because of the different sections that get sent to me? Some frames take 18-20 mins while others take only 4 even on the same computer with different work units.

Anyways, I've become addicted. It's real fun, thanks everyone. Our team is moving up in the ranks!

L

littlejim

Core_65.exe

One thing I noticed but I'm not too sure how it happened. I got a *lot* of Core_65.exe processes going, all taking <x> percentage CPU time. It could have been me running the screen saver and the graphic client at the same time?
First time I've tried an <something>@ home. Feels good ... actually putting your kit to some real use.

littlejim (a.k.a captainpovey)

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Re: Core_65.exe

Originally posted by littlejim
One thing I noticed but I'm not too sure how it happened. I got a *lot* of Core_65.exe processes going, all taking <x> percentage CPU time. It could have been me running the screen saver and the graphic client at the same time?
First time I've tried an <something>@ home. Feels good ... actually putting your kit to some real use.

littlejim (a.k.a captainpovey)
Yeah, I feel the same way. :)

The Core_65.exe's are the apps that get downloaded to execute the work and take up the most CPU time. You will not benefit by running more than one of these. I would suggest to run a command-line client if possible it is faster and doesn't use the video card.

Tiauguinho

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2002
The Netherlands
I've got the GUI version of folding@home and I've noticed that you guys are talking about Folding Control. I went to the page where you can download that, but first I would like to make you a question. Will it be faster than the GUI version???? I'm on a Powerbook 550/768Mb. I want to processe units faster so that we can take our team to the top while helping a medical research. Is it faster????

L

littlejim

Core_65.exe

The Core_65.exe's are the apps that get downloaded to execute the work and take up the most CPU time. You will not benefit by running more than one of these. I would suggest to run a command-line client if possible it is faster and doesn't use the video card.
I didn't mean to run multiple core_65.exe! Something did it without asking me! I only noticed when my system started to grind a bit.

I will try the console ... but I must admit, it's soothing watching the display!

littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey
----------------------------------

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Tiauguinho
I've got the GUI version of folding@home and I've noticed that you guys are talking about Folding Control. I went to the page where you can download that, but first I would like to make you a question. Will it be faster than the GUI version???? I'm on a Powerbook 550/768Mb. I want to processe units faster so that we can take our team to the top while helping a medical research. Is it faster????
Nothing is really "faster" per se, the folding system benchmarks your system, then gives you a score based on your CPU time. So regardless of how fast your system is etc., you get points for CPU time. As for "faster", if you look at a program on Mac/PC that guages CPU usage, every time it has to draw to the screen in a graphical client, it takes up lots of CPU. With a command line version, it just uses the CPU for the Core_65 process to fold the structure of the polypeptide chain.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Tiauguinho -- minimizing or hiding the window may help, but hey, why not get Folding Control?? It's a lot better than the standard Folding@Home OS X client.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
I'd be folding a lot faster with a G4 :D Oh well, my white G3 iBook (my only mac :( ) is always on and always folding, so i should get through some WU's pretty quickly...

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
F@H Update

We've done well so far, thanks in no small part to mc68k.

Here's the latest from the team stats page:
Team active since 2001-09-07 12:00:05
Date of last work unit 2002-05-27 23:01:45
Active processors (within a week) 72
Team id # 3446
Score 1188.1900024414
WU 1131
Team Ranking 213
homepage https://www.macrumors.com
Team members
Rank
(within team) User Score WU
1 mc68k 521.08 508
2 BuffSldr 258.33 332
3 Backspinner 181.28 130
4 Rower_CPU 52 17
5 firewire2001 45 9
6 jelloshotsrule 38 58
7 Bob_Eliason 27.5 10
8 captainpovey 23 19
9 mark_sloan 7 5
10 j763 7 5
11 jakejess 6.5 4
12 y 5 1
13 mmmdreg 3 6
14 captainpovey 2 4
15 Tiauguinho 2 4
16 Amichalo 1.5 3
17 mmmdreg 1 2
18 Falleron 1 2
19 paulieparker 1 2
20 Beej 1 2
21 Entropy 1 2
22 stromie952 1 2
23 fbcfabric 0.5 1
24 CountZero 0.5 1
25 opus_gumbo 0.5 1
26 nparker 0.5 1

Team ranking 213 and climbing rapidly...w00t!!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
CONTRIBUTE!

I encourage everyone to contribute. I belive folding is more productive than SETI.

Even if you just do 1 WU, you would be helping out the team greatly. It really is fun.

Thanks to everyone who has made this team so great. We should aim to be the highest Mac-based team on there.

backspinner

macrumors 6502a
Apr 29, 2002
Eindhoven
Re: CONTRIBUTE!

Originally posted by mc68k
Thanks to everyone who has made this team so great. We should aim to be the highest Mac-based team on there.

What I have to say is that I lost my goal to become number one completely now that you rushed in with 36 processors...

I can't sell the idea of having my coworkers' computers folding any more so I went back to one processor. So ranking 3 is in reach for everybody!

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I have started running Folding as well as SETI now. I should be sending a few units in. Is there any way to store untis for folding?

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by Falleron
I have started running Folding as well as SETI now. I should be sending a few units in. Is there any way to store untis for folding?
Your units did show up on the server. What do you mean by storing units?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Originally posted by Unregistered

Your units did show up on the server. What do you mean by storing units?

I have only got experience with SETI. There, you download some data, send back the result + download some more data. This is a unit. Presumably, the same process must happen on the Folding? I know when I finished my last units Folding Control did not give me a message saying it need new data. The situation that I want is a way so that I dont have to keep logging onto the net all the time.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

I have only got experience with SETI. There, you download some data, send back the result + download some more data. This is a unit. Presumably, the same process must happen on the Folding? I know when I finished my last units Folding Control did not give me a message saying it need new data. The situation that I want is a way so that I dont have to keep logging onto the net all the time.
That was me last time as Unregistered, I guess I had some problems.

Is "Folding Control" referring to the graphical client? Which OS are you running F@H on?

Folding DL's a WU and depending on your settings will either ask for confirmation or just DL another WU and reports the previous one back to the server automatically.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
I downloaded and installed the Folding Control that was mentioned near the start of the thread. I am using OSX (client version - no fancy graphics).

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I downloaded and installed the Folding Control that was mentioned near the start of the thread. I am using OSX (client version - no fancy graphics).
I don't know if there's switches or what not, but the default settings for the console version just tell you if you've completed a WU or not, but don't tell you all the frames like the console version for Win.

[edit] From the FAQ:
How do the results get back to you?

Your computer will automatically upload the results to our server each time it finishes a work unit, and download a new job at that time. At this time, there may be problems if you computer is only connected to the internet sporadically. We are working on better support for these cases. Only the console version currently works at all over a modem connection, and there still may occasionally be a few bugs with that.
[/edit]

Attachments

• picture 1.jpg
    picture 1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 222
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.