Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

j763

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2001
Champaign, IL, USA
Originally posted by mc68k

What will motivate them? Candy perhaps?

LoL... Well, I'm giving it a shot (only got a white G3 ibook -- hopefully, i'll have a new eMac soon) but it would be nice to see some contribution to the MR folding team from all the other members... Hopefully we'll get into the top 100 soon...

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
i basically leave mine going constantly. but i've just got a dual 800 so it only does so much....

we have about 500 points b/w us and top 100.... as of now. we'll see.

we climbed pretty quickly though. thanks to the freaky nerds over in cali........ ahh they my dogs

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
i was using one computer for a while - a 1ghz amd, but now i use a 400 mhz celeron in addition.. man, its kinda weird im beating a lotta pplz with way more wus than me... the 1ghz machine is used quite a bit by me for ps and video stufferz, and the 400 mhz is used every so often, but its definately slow..

oh well... i think they may award points for continously prcessing - my 400mhz machine hasnt been off for like 2 weeks, and the 1ghz machine i prolly turn off every few days - a week...

(theyre both pcs, that may be the advantage..)

i think its really cool we have a macrumors team.. i remember when we only had like 6 users ... now its like 27.. wee!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by j763

LoL... Well, I'm giving it a shot (only got a white G3 ibook -- hopefully, i'll have a new eMac soon) but it would be nice to see some contribution to the MR folding team from all the other members... Hopefully we'll get into the top 100 soon...
Nice, welcome to the team. Every WU helps us out. I think if we could get people just to do 1, we could move up a lot faster. I'm using every computer at my disposal. If we keep at the current pace, statsman.org says we'll have ~16K by the end of the summer for points.

I'd like to see my percentage overall for the team go down as we get more memebers to contribute. I don't know how we'll fair when school starts again.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by j763
mc68k:

how many macs do you have access to???

The big question. Well, I have access to many computers, but the ones that I should use vs. can use are:

37 B&W "Yosemite"
2 G4 "Sawtooth"
4 7x00 series Macs
37+ Dell Optiplex
1 s900 w/XPC7400 OC'd to 510 (home)
1 7200 w/g3/400/OS 9.1 (home)
Univ Library Lab
Sparc w/Solaris (when they release a Solaris client)

So there's a lot of potential there, but stupid Stanford seems not to get the fact that a 9 client would get more labs that can't/shouldn't run X to crank out WU's. We don't have a license for X, so I can't run it there on the macs. A LOT of wasted potential w/3X+ macs sitting around. Shame on you Stanford. :(

No wonder those [H]ard Oc'er's and such have such high points— it's because all of their OS's are supported! We, the mac freaks, would at least be able to compete with complete support for our OS's. Makes the stats skewed when they can utilize an old machine, and we can't. And I specialize in old macs too. Damn shame.

The Library Lab is a computing center for students that is jam-packed with PIII machines. The only prob is that it's across campus, kids use it constantly, the machines don't stay on all night, and all the macs are running 9. But I've managed to get some WUs out of there anyways. Those are a lot of trouble. I hope they don't catch on to my scheme. It's not like hacking or anything. :)

And my boss took over some of my machines too. Needless to say, there's more potential than my current processor count indicates.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Once our Macs move to OS X, we'll be able to crank out WUs on another 30 or so machines...:D

We still need to recruit more members, though. The key to high ranking is in having a lot of members.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
More member is always good! However, we are not doing badly. Still moving swiftly up the rankings.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
We are at 100!!

See : http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/
Technically, yes-- that is if you don't count anonymous as a team. The main page of folding does and stasman does not. But give us some more hours and 100th place is ours. :) Than we can have live tracking vs. every 6 hrs. But stasman still has its place for the graphs and detailed stats and all.

Taft

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2002
Chicago
We need to set our sites on MacCentral. We are very close to surpassing them. I've got all of my available computing resources working on it as we speak.

Taft

U

Unregistered

Originally posted by Taft
We need to set our sites on MacCentral. We are very close to surpassing them. I've got all of my available computing resources working on it as we speak.

Taft
Yes I agree. Were ready to burn past them soon. They've been getting weak, and we've been getting stronger in the past few days. It's only a matter of time. We've cranked up the tempo to passing mode here, too.

Thanks for the help Taft. :) And to the rest of the team too, for putting up some good, consistent #'s.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Whoops...

Well, that was Mozilla, and it didn't have my info stored. :'( I can't edit my stupid typos, but alas...

Oh well, I'll use this post to say, we're going to slow down in climbing the ranks if we can't get some more WU's up. WE NEED MORE HELP, MR PEOPLE!

As of this post were in the Top 100-- w007! Way to go team, you're the best-est of the best, I mean it. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.