Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by buffsldr
You rock, mc.
Thanks but..man, you rock. You were my hero of folding for a long time. I was so excited when I passed you. I never thought I could. :)

But our team will be up there for sure. There's another team mac team in like the 26th spot. I think we'll slow down pretty soon on the rank climbing if we don't get more members. God knows we have enough here at MR.

What will motivate them? Candy perhaps?

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Originally posted by mc68k

No man, you rock. You were my hero of folding for a long time. I was so excited when I passed you. I never thought I could. :)

i'm signing up now to direct a made for tv movie about the rise and fall of the generations of macrumors folding@home champs..... you guys want to play yourselves or do you have suggestions for people to play you?

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i have been using my g4 466
3 pIIIs at work
and one dual proc at work (pc)

i recently added a pc at home

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by jelloshotsrule

i'm signing up now to direct a made for tv movie about the rise and fall of the generations of macrumors folding@home champs..... you guys want to play yourselves or do you have suggestions for people to play you?

Geez I'm gone for like a week and you get all those posts. Man you must be on here a lot. :)

That's funny! LOL I'm just a hapless nerd, not an actor.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity
Geez I'm gone for like a week and you get all those posts. Man you must be on here a lot. :)

That's funny! LOL I'm just a hapless nerd, not an actor.

what posts? this past week has been slow for me. been actually doing stuff.... the busy week was the one before that. THEN people cried about random conversations in the community section, so i have slowed....

well if you're not gonna act for yourself, who do you recommend? brad pitt? antonio banderas? give me some guidance... casting is crucial.. and what about buffsldr?! maybe someone like robert redford or sean connery? someone wise and passing the torch...

ps. it's cause i still don't have a job. hopefully that'll change tomorrow.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by buffsldr
i have been using my g4 466
3 pIIIs at work
and one dual proc at work (pc)

i recently added a pc at home
I took over two labs plus my home machine. I could get TONS more if they would release a classic client...but I'll have to wait. I might be able to run folding on a Solaris server here unless they have some kind of CPU quota (when Stanford makes a client for Solaris).

I think they would get a ton more WU with a Classic client. I was contemplating running it through VPC but I don't know of performance issues there.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
THEN people cried about random conversations in the community section, so i have slowed....
That's the whole point of the community section. They shouldn't be down on you, I like your antics.

well if you're not gonna act for yourself, who do you recommend? brad pitt? antonio banderas? give me some guidance... casting is crucial...
In real life, I'm a bit eccentric, so I would say Adam Sandler. I've been told many a time I bear a resemblance (that and Gump— BAH!)

ps. it's cause i still don't have a job. hopefully that'll change tomorrow.

hey, wans't trying to dog ya, man. If I didn't have a job, I would be on here like he plague too. It's just too much fun. Macs, cool people, and other such nonsense. You da' man!

Tomorrow...hmmm..
Well best of luck to you. :)

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

That's the whole point of the community section. They shouldn't be down on you, I like your antics.

In real life, I'm a bit eccentric, so I would say Adam Sandler. I've been told many a time I bear a resemblance (that and Gump— BAH!)

hey, wans't trying to dog ya, man. If I didn't have a job, I would be on here like he plague too. It's just too much fun. Macs, cool people, and other such nonsense. You da' man!

Tomorrow...hmmm..
Well best of luck to you. :)

antics schmantics! yeah. when i was getting some folks to laugh i got a bit crazy. but. yeah..

sandler.... how about owen wilson???? he's eccentric... haha.

i know you weren't dogging me. and yeah, hopefully i will have a job. meeting a guy tomorrow about editing. if he says no, i will punch him.

thanks for the "you da' man" vote of confidence. can i use macrumors member mc68k as a reference or no????

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
can i use macrumors member mc68k as a reference or no????

Any time. Yeah, you can use me as a reference. I don't know about Owen Wilson, he's not my style. I'm a cynic and have brown hair to boot.

jelloshotsrule

macrumors G3
Feb 7, 2002
serendipity

Any time. Yeah, you can use me as a reference. I don't know about Owen Wilson, he's not my style. I'm a cynic and have brown hair to boot.

hmm. not sure that'd help me with my job.... but it can't hurt (actually, it probably can)

i bet owen wilson is a cynic. well, maybe not. he's a bit of a spaced out hippie type nutball... ha

how about luke wilson then????? eh????

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Originally posted by Falleron
Hi, what is the command for starting folding from the console??

Thanks
First you have to make the .bin (binary) file executable with this command:
chmod +x pathname
Change to the subdirectory that it's located in, then you just type it's absolute pathname to run it:
./FAH2...
You can hit tab to complete the rest of this command. This file will create various other files for config and storing data, so it's best to create a folder before running it so you don't clutter things up.

I found some switches for this program, but none of them seem to work properly (maybe due to the porting?) Notably:
-verbosity n scale from 1 to 9
-send n which WU frame you want to send to the server (all being all frames)

You can find the rest of the switches with the -help command.

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK

First you have to make the .bin (binary) file executable with this command:

Change to the subdirectory that it's located in, then you just type it's absolute pathname to run it:

You can hit tab to complete the rest of this command. This file will create various other files for config and storing data, so it's best to create a folder before running it so you don't clutter things up.

I found some switches for this program, but none of them seem to work properly (maybe due to the porting?) Notably:
-verbosity n scale from 1 to 9
-send n which WU frame you want to send to the server (all being all frames)
Thanks mc68k. I was using Folding Control which set most of it up. However, I wanted to play around with unix instead :) . I have worked it out now! Thanks. Were getting near the top 100!! You must be running quite a few computers?

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
Thanks mc68k. I was using Folding Control which set most of it up. However, I wanted to play around with unix instead :) . I have worked it out now! Thanks. Were getting near the top 100!! You must be running quite a few computers?

A few? That's an understatement...

He was at 42 CPUs briefly...now he's gone back down to 26, since I took some away from him here at work.:D

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

No prob. :) X is turning me into a Unix nerd.

Yeah, we're slowing down dramatically because of lack of members. We have like 27 when we have like 5K+ members. 'Tis a shame...a bloody shame...::shakes head:: . How can we turn them to the light side?

I'm addicted. I've got computers here in our lab + another library lab running the console client. I've only got my Yosemite and my s900 at home running. The rest are not Macs, but get the job done, nevertheless. If they release a freakin' 9 version they would have soooooooo many more people folding. I think the bulk of their power folders are running labs, probably a good portion edu labs, with older macs that can't run X or shouldn't run it (like us here!). So I'm stuck with a lab sitting here when it could be folding. Stupid stanford, grow a brain. 9 is NOT outdated yet, cheesy funeral or not.

Anyways, Gromacs and Altivec should make those painful high-scoring units shorter. I was reading the boards yesterday and the demeanor was definitely not in the mac direction. They said Win and Linux ports first, then X (from Linux). In other words, X is last priority, which doesn't make me too hopeful of a 9 version-- since toolbox programming is not for the faint of heart.

So anyways, I hope 3 comes out soon. Here's a link to the folding forums in which the topic is raised. Enjoy.

L

littlejim

I'm away for a week as from tomorrow and I hope to see us in the top 100 when I get back!
I guess my units will stop incrementing soon as my DSL connection tends to go AWOL (and/or my ALCATEL modem goes BANG) every two days or so.

littlejim a.k.a. captainpovey
-----------------------------------

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK

No prob. :) X is turning me into a Unix nerd.

Yeah, we're slowing down dramatically because of lack of members. We have like 27 when we have like 5K+ members. 'Tis a shame...a bloody shame...::shakes head:: . How can we turn them to the light side?

I'm addicted. I've got computers here in our lab + another library lab running the console client. I've only got my Yosemite and my s900 at home running. The rest are not Macs, but get the job done, nevertheless. If they release a freakin' 9 version they would have soooooooo many more people folding. I think the bulk of their power folders are running labs, probably a good portion edu labs, with older macs that can't run X or shouldn't run it (like us here!). So I'm stuck with a lab sitting here when it could be folding. Stupid stanford, grow a brain. 9 is NOT outdated yet, cheesy funeral or not.

Anyways, Gromacs and Altivec should make those painful high-scoring units shorter. I was reading the boards yesterday and the demeanor was definitely not in the mac direction. They said Win and Linux ports first, then X (from Linux). In other words, X is last priority, which doesn't make me too hopeful of a 9 version-- since toolbox programming is not for the faint of heart.

So anyways, I hope 3 comes out soon. Here's a link to the folding forums in which the topic is raised. Enjoy.
Fraid there wont be a OS9 version of folding! I read on a board that said that is was too much work to get it working. OSX is being left till last for a reason actually. All the bugs are being worked out on Linux + then a simple re-compile will make it work on OSX. Once the Linux version is out we should see the OSX version a couple of days later apparently.

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
Top 100 is going to be a while w/o more help. We go up like a few a week and that will only get slower.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS! EVEN 1 WU helps us! For the love of God...and when school starts I will slow down here too...

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002
I read on a board that said that is was too much work to get it working.
That's just an excuse. They would have more 9 then Linux members for sure, IMHO. It's in their best ineterests. Am I supposed to run it through VPC?

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK
Top 100 is going to be a while w/o more help. We go up like a few a week and that will only get slower.

WE NEED MORE MEMBERS! EVEN 1 WU helps us! For the love of God...and when school starts I will slow down here too...

Sure?? I just sent a 5 point unit back and we went up 2 places! From 121 --> 119!

mc68k

macrumors 68000
Apr 16, 2002

Sure?? I just sent a 5 point unit back and we went up 2 places! From 121 --> 119!
I saw that! Good work. Those 5 point WU's are killer.

I'm switching to the graphical client because the verbose switch doesn't work to show me the individual frames. I heard it said in the forums that the graphical client running hidden uses about the same as the console-- but you get a progress bar. I had the console quit on me the other day, it was stuck at the 71st frame for a couple days and a -send all did nothing. So the graphical client wins my vote.

I wonder if logging into >console and running folding would be any better? No Aqua overhead. Will try and get back to you...

Falleron

macrumors 68000
Nov 22, 2001
UK

I saw that! Good work. Those 5 point WU's are killer.

I'm switching to the graphical client because the verbose switch doesn't work to show me the individual frames. I heard it said in the forums that the graphical client running hidden uses about the same as the console-- but you get a progress bar. I had the console quit on me the other day, it was stuck at the 71st frame for a couple days and a -send all did nothing. So the graphical client wins my vote.

I wonder if logging into >console and running folding would be any better? No Aqua overhead. Will try and get back to you...
Quite probably would speed things up! On SETI, a unit that would take 10 hours on the CLI version with Aqua loaded would take about 8 and a half without Aqua. Its probably the same sort of performance gain for Folding.

PS. This is the best site I have found for watching our progress (not updated too often I think though)

http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA

Quite probably would speed things up! On SETI, a unit that would take 10 hours on the CLI version with Aqua loaded would take about 8 and a half without Aqua. Its probably the same sort of performance gain for Folding.

PS. This is the best site I have found for watching our progress (not updated too often I think though)

http://www.statsman.org/folding2stats/html/

Wow! That's a great site...and up-to-date enough for me, they have us at 118.:D

Apple Computer Inc is only at 65 or so...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.