Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xb2003

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2016
MO
Sorry, but I fail to see any reason to spend $400 on a pair of wireless headphones, other than to make a statement. They wouldn't work for any demanding task and in a few years they won't work at all because the batteries will have died. And sound quality? You know how large, high res TVs make bad picture look worse? The same thing happens with compression and nice speakers.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Sorry, but I fail to see any reason to spend $400 on a pair of wireless headphones, other than to make a statement. They wouldn't work for any demanding task and in a few years they won't work at all because the batteries will have died. And sound quality? You know how large, high res TVs make bad picture look worse? The same thing happens with compression and nice speakers.

Is it not the same case with many premium products that we spend a fortune on?

We even replace the iPhone regularly and still worthy to do so.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
You may also wish to note that these come with a separate mini jack wire should your fear is total redundance due to a battery eventually demise. If ever it comes to that.

Reactions: M. Gustave

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
My favourite headphones are the Bowers & Wilkins P5s - they are fantastically comfortable and portable, look great and offer a terrific audio experience. They are small enough an deportable to travel with me as my travelling companion headphones.

I also have the P7, which I use when I am listening to music at home; a lovely headphone, and beautifully made.

However, I am not entirely sure that a wireless model would appeal all that much to me.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
However, I am not entirely sure that a wireless model would appeal all that much to me.

The story of this brand and other premium ones going wireless is all coming from the anticipated "death" of the iPhone audio jack.

Its not only B&W moving in that direction. There will be a flurry of such wireless headphones. I have already invested in the P5 wireless and they are up there as well.

BOSE seem to be churning out the same with addition of noise cancellation which these ones do not have.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
The story of this brand and other premium ones going wireless is all coming from the anticipated "death" of the iPhone audio jack.

Its not only B&W moving in that direction. There will be a flurry of such wireless headphones. I have already invested in the P5 wireless and they are up there as well.

BOSE seem to be churning out the same with addition of noise cancellation which these ones do not have.

Ah, I see.

The trigger - or prompt - for all this, is the death of the of the iPhone audio jack. Dear me. How unfortunate.

I don't have a smart phone, but am giving serious consideration to purchasing the SE sometime - possibly later this year.

However, I do have an iPod classic, which, bless it, gets used frequently, and always accompanies me on my travels. And that gorgeous piece of equipment does have an audio jack.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
65280d6a78394bf594e9f90038d288cf.jpg

There goes my current line up -
B&W P5 Wired Series 1,
BOSE Sound link Bluetooth,
B&W P5 Bluetooth
And the treasured iPod Classic

.....and still keen to sign up this new entry P7 Wireless

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

aawil

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2008
I'm quite happy with my B&O H7 but I do have the Series 1 H5's as well. One thing I will say is B&W have really priced their lineup quite aggressively. But I am curious to see the reviews.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
65280d6a78394bf594e9f90038d288cf.jpg

There goes my current line up -
B&W P5 Wired Series 1,
BOSE Sound link Bluetooth,
B&W P5 Bluetooth
And the treasured iPod Classic

.....and still keen to sign up this new entry P7 Wireless

I must say that I rather like the picture you have posted; with the exception of the Bluetoothed P5, (and the Bose) I think I have almost everything else in your picture.......

Reactions: Tulani

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Got my P9s today. They sound way better than they look. They blow the P7s away. I can only imagine what they'll be like when they send me the included DAC with Lightning connector.

Lucky you.
I was still trying to find a way of saving up for the P7 wireless and all of a sudden they do a P9 magic.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Got my P9s today. They sound way better than they look. They blow the P7s away. I can only imagine what they'll be like when they send me the included DAC with Lightning connector.

When did they say they will send you the DAC?

Give us a review when they do please.

BadgerRivFan

macrumors member
Oct 6, 2013
I love my Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired) headphones. The P7's combined with an AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC are simply awesome with the iPhone. The P9's would have to be a HUGE improvement over this combo to justify the price...

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.

Fantastic.

I have the P3s, the P5s (which I love and which travel with me everywhere), and the P7s, (which I use for home listening).

The P9s look gorgeous, and when you write that 'they sound way better than they look' I am almost weeping with pleasure for you and helpless longing for myself.

In any case, do please enjoy them: A detailed review would be appreciated.

Lucky you.
I was still trying to find a way of saving up for the P7 wireless and all of a sudden they do a P9 magic.

I feel your pain. As I already have the P7s (granted, the wired version from a few years ago), I would have some difficulty justifying this purchase. But that, of course, will not stop me longing for a pair....

I love my Bowers & Wilkins P7 (wired) headphones. The P7's combined with an AudioQuest DragonFly Red DAC are simply awesome with the iPhone. The P9's would have to be a HUGE improvement over this combo to justify the price...

Indeed. I face a similar dilemma.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
I have been reading reviews of this seductive piece of gorgeousness. All agree that it is simply stunning, and that the only conceivable minus is the eye watering price.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Picked up a set of B&W P5 S2 wired at BB this week for $149, I have bought them before but got cold feet with the price at that time. They sounded great but now they sound even better. :)

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Picked up a set of B&W P5 S2 wired at BB this week for $149, I have bought them before but got cold feet with the price at that time. They sounded great but now they sound even better. :)

Enjoy

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany

It should be noted that these wireless phones don't deprecate when the batteries are no longer of use as you can use the wireless version with or without cable, the former always being an option far and beyond the battery's life. You're basically gaining a feature (wireless option) rather than losing one (cable).

The special edition P9s do look fantastic and very noble. However, as a proud and happy owner of the classic wired P7s, I really have no reason to get them, though I'd be lying if I said they didn't appeal to me.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
It should be noted that these wireless phones don't deprecate when the batteries are no longer of use as you can use the wireless version with or without cable, the former always being an option far and beyond the battery's life. You're basically gaining a feature (wireless option) rather than losing one (cable).

The special edition P9s do look fantastic and very noble. However, as a proud and happy owner of the classic wired P7s, I really have no reason to get them, though I'd be lying if I said they didn't appeal to me.

Well, one brother asked to borrow headphones - he had his greedy eyes on the P5s, but I use them when travelling anywhere - as he - a comedy writer (and his wife - who is a German teacher) are both planning to do some recordings.

I gave him my P7s, with instructions to return them when he has finished his recordings - probably sometime next year. He might yet get to keep them as a Christmas present; then, I could contemplate a possible purchase of the P9s with a lot less guilt.....

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
Well, one brother asked to borrow headphones - he had his greedy eyes on the P5s, but I use them when travelling anywhere - as he - a comedy writer (and his wife - who is a German teacher) are both planning to do some recordings.

I gave him my P7s, with instructions to return them when he has finished his recordings - probably sometime next year. He might yet get to keep them as a Christmas present; then, I could contemplate a possible purchase of the P9s with a lot less guilt.....

Aha! That's tricky... So, shall I hope for your brother to be particularly forgetful over the circumstances and associated instructions under which he was given the pair in the first place? What an unforeseen happenstance... =D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.