Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Okla

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2021
I'm a long time B&W owner, but I don't have a clue when it comes to head phones or ear buds. If it's not too much to ask, would someone please tell me why and how you put these devices to good use? I know that this is an elementary question, but the title of this thread did "lure me" in, so go easy on an old vet. ;)

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I've got my finger over the order button on these. But, after seeing how well my AirPods Max headphones integrate with my Apple iPad, iMac, MacMini and iPhone I'm a bit hesitant. I do own B&W PX7 headphones, and remember that before B&W updated the app. connectivity going from one device to another was a bit iffy. Anyone out there currently using these with Apple devices? I do put sound quality above most things, but don't want to struggle with connectivity with my Apple devices?

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
iu.jpeg
I

iu-1.jpeg
am so glad I found this thread. Yesterday my kid returned a 2016 purchased B&W Zeppelin Air speaker system to me. Claims her new apartment is too small. Okay, so I'll get her a Bose speaker to replace it. She needs BT, to connect to her BT turntable, otherwise I'd get her some Apple Minipods.

Short story long ;) I had to ask B&W for help, as there was no longer a set-up app. But B&W came through with instructions for set-up using my Safari browser. BT worked out of the box.This speaker supports BT but also also Airplay!

To my ears Airplay sounds better. Could be my imagination. But all in all this is one good sounding, powerful speaker! I feel like I found an old friend! Now if I could just put it on my computer's desk ? Kidding of course.

Anyone else out there own one of these?

Big Bad D

macrumors 6502a
Jan 3, 2007
France
View attachment 1811787 I

View attachment 1811788 am so glad I found this thread. Yesterday my kid returned a 2016 purchased B&W Zeppelin Air speaker system to me. Claims her new apartment is too small. Okay, so I'll get her a Bose speaker to replace it. She needs BT, to connect to her BT turntable, otherwise I'd get her some Apple Minipods.

Short story long ;) I had to ask B&W for help, as there was no longer a set-up app. But B&W came through with instructions for set-up using my Safari browser. BT worked out of the box.This speaker supports BT but also also Airplay!

To my ears Airplay sounds better. Could be my imagination. But all in all this is one good sounding, powerful speaker! I feel like I found an old friend! Now if I could just put it on my computer's desk ? Kidding of course.

Anyone else out there own one of these?
Yes own two, one for living room and the other in bedroom, the B&W Zeppelin is a really great audio quality speaker.

Also have B&W PX7 headphones. Wonderful sound quality.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Ok seems like everyone’s showing off now.

I have the old tiny B&W MM1 desktop pair.

View attachment 1813554
I have a pair! I thought I was the only one in the world ;) I do like the fact they have "near field" sound. Perfect to flank my iMac. The oval remote is also great design....per usual for B&W! I wish I could afford their big stereo systems. I used to go to the local B&W store for a listen....and then cry:p. It's too bad many people today don't know how great true, full blown stereo systems can sound.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
I just got an email from B&W on this! Color me surprised! I have the previous model, and I think there was a docking model before that. I'd love to see a spec comparison between this and the previous version I purchased in 2016. I guess I'll start searching for reviews. I wonder if they will offer a wall mount for the newest one. I can't find a wall mount available for my old one.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I just got an email from B&W on this! Color me surprised! I have the previous model, and I think there was a docking model before that. I'd love to see a spec comparison between this and the previous version I purchased in 2016. I guess I'll start searching for reviews. I wonder if they will offer a wall mount for the newest one. I can't find a wall mount available for my old one.
keep us updated as well

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
Does the previous model come with a remote? Saw one for sale online second hand however it doesn’t mention having a remote.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Does the previous model come with a remote? Saw one for sale online second hand however it doesn’t mention having a remote.
My model from 2016 did not come with a remote. I control the volume through the streaming device. Best sound quality comes via Airplay.

MiamiBeach

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2020
My model from 2016 did not come with a remote. I control the volume through the streaming device. Best sound quality comes via Airplay.
Thanks for the info. I’m leaning towards buying the 2016. I like the fact it also has the aux in which gives non-streaming devices the ability to play through the speaker.

aurora_sect

macrumors regular
Mar 10, 2022
Sony is lurking around with these soon.
It’s going to be a tussle with B&W.
View attachment 1996844
These might be my next wireless cans.

I bought the XM3s along with the B&W PX and kept the PX for their excellent detail, but a few years on I kind of wish I'd kept the Sonys--they're just a lot comfier. But I still use and enjoy the PX quite a bit.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
These might be my next wireless cans.

I bought the XM3s along with the B&W PX and kept the PX for their excellent detail, but a few years on I kind of wish I'd kept the Sonys--they're just a lot comfier. But I still use and enjoy the PX quite a bit.

I also have been wanting to test the SONY but the repeated generic design kept me off and now it looks like it is time!

But my love for B&W will never fade.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
PX7 vs. Apple AirPods Max opinions please.

OK B&W fans (of which I am one). I'm traveling overseas soon and will be in the Air for 9 hours, plus a couple of lay overs. Right now, as much as I love the AirPods Max headphones for sound, and sound isolation, the PX7's seem to have longer battery life, and are lighter on my head. I am not a fan of the PX7's faux leather ear pads. They make my ears a bit warm.

I doubt I'd use the PX7's carry case to save space in my backpack. Of course the AirPods Max "bikini" case is less bulky.

The other minus on the PX7 is the lack of more instantaneous Apple iOS connections vs. the AirPods Max. Also the PX7's seem to reset to no sound passthrough every time I turn the off. I have to dig out my iPhone and reset it via the "Headphones" app. every time. Is this a bug?

First world problems I know :p. Thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.