Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
PX7 vs. Apple AirPods Max opinions please.

OK B&W fans (of which I am one). I'm traveling overseas soon and will be in the Air for 9 hours, plus a couple of lay overs. Right now, as much as I love the AirPods Max headphones for sound, and sound isolation, the PX7's seem to have longer battery life, and are lighter on my head. I am not a fan of the PX7's faux leather ear pads. They make my ears a bit warm.

I doubt I'd use the PX7's carry case to save space in my backpack. Of course the AirPods Max "bikini" case is less bulky.

The other minus on the PX7 is the lack of more instantaneous Apple iOS connections vs. the AirPods Max. Also the PX7's seem to reset to no sound passthrough every time I turn the off. I have to dig out my iPhone and reset it via the "Headphones" app. every time. Is this a bug?

First world problems I know :p. Thoughts and opinions are most welcome.

You are already against the B&W.
:)

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I also have been wanting to test the SONY but the repeated generic design kept me off and now it looks like it is time!

But my love for B&W will never fade.
with the reviews out now for the sony xm5
i am no longer sure about them
they now look too bulky

that leaves room for next B&W headphone iteration to take advantage hopefully

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Last edited:
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012

Px8 teased for later in 2022​

“This no-holds-barred ‘reference-level’ wireless model will take Bowers & Wilkins headphones to all-new levels of premium design, luxurious materials and audio performance,” said the firm.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA

Px8 teased for later in 2022​

“This no-holds-barred ‘reference-level’ wireless model will take Bowers & Wilkins headphones to all-new levels of premium design, luxurious materials and audio performance,” said the firm.

You know I'm a big B&W headphones fan from my previous postings. In fact I've got a pair of P9's on as I type this. I also own the original Px7's and the PI7. Oops I forgot and the an second generation Zeppelin speaker system.

But, I think I'll hold out for the Px8, though the new Px7 S2's are looking good, but I'm not sure about the sound difference/improvements it might have over the original.

Also, did anyone see the Master & Dynamic's MW75's yet?

mw75-active-noise-cancelling-wireless-headphones

Now those look interesting. I look forward to some review on these vs. B&W headphones!

Update from review that mentions the M&D MW75's:

"I'm not sure the sound quality rises significantly above that of the WH-1000XM5 and I think it falls a little short of the more expensive Master & Dynamic MW75, but the combination of strong sound quality, improved noise canceling (it's not quite there with the Sony's but it's good) and solid voice-calling performance should put the PX7 S2 on your shortlist for headphones in this price range. "

Last edited:

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
PX8 is here

I probably should have held out for the PX8. I recently purchased the Master & Dynamic MW75.

I have a feeling the PX8 ear cups might fit me better (just a guess). I had to get advice on Headfiorg that hacked them with ear pads from another one of their headphones to get them to fit right.

Well maybe I'll wait for some reviews and put the PX8 on my wishlist and fund them with sales of some of my other headphones.

It will be interesting to learn about how the PX8s sound compared to the previous offering from B&W!

Edit:

Well one of the reviews reported a lower price at Crutchfield. No ship date. I'm not sure if the lower price is a mistake??? I have no affiliation with Crutchfield but I have purchased from them in the past.

Last edited:

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
I probably should have held out for the PX8. I recently purchased the Master & Dynamic MW75.

I have a feeling the PX8 ear cups might fit me better (just a guess). I had to get advice on Headfiorg that hacked them with ear pads from another one of their headphones to get them to fit right.

Well maybe I'll wait for some reviews and put the PX8 on my wishlist and fund them with sales of some of my other headphones.

It will be interesting to learn about how the PX8s sound compared to the previous offering from B&W!

Edit:

Well one of the reviews reported a lower price at Crutchfield. No ship date. I'm not sure if the lower price is a mistake??? I have no affiliation with Crutchfield but I have purchased from them in the past.

they surely are pricy
there has to be "something" to justify that

Reactions: satcomer

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
they surely are pricy
there has to be "something" to justify that
Warning, I've posted about the Px8 on "headfi.org", so nothing new here.

Well I did get the Px8 headphones. The sound difference between it and the MW75 from Master & Dynamics is the richer sound of the Px8. Whereas the the MW75, to me, sounds somewhat flatter across the audio spectrum. But not so flat that MW75 are boring. I guess it is like how rich do you like your desert? 😃

Does this make the Px8 better than the MW75? Well other than sound there are of course other factors. I think the Px8 is more comfortable/lighter to wear. The headphone case for the Mx8 is slightly thinner.

I did have to slightly mod. the MW75 (per an online recommendation) to replace the ear cups which I found too small for even my small ears. The Px8's ear pads ear holes are not particularly generous either, but work for me. I am guessing the brands are trying to keep their ear cup size down for out of the house usage/travel. I want "over-the-ears" headphones to actually fit over, not on my ears. I guess I have sensitive ears. 😆

Finally, if I had to choose between the two, and didn't own a variety of other brands both cabled, and BT I think I'd go for the Px8 as my only headphones as of this writing. But for me, I like having a variety of headphones to choose from.

Next, I may compare the Px8 to the former wired flagship headphone the P9's just for fun. Given they were at introduction even more expensive than the Px8!

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 6, 2012
Reactions: Scepticalscribe

Realityck

macrumors G4
Nov 9, 2015
Silicon Valley, CA
Here's the missing technical information on this bluetooth headphones. (downloadable PDF)
PDF Px7 S2e Information Sheet - Bowers & Wilkins

Reactions: jazz1 and Tulani
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.