Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I know people who buy Mercedes to go grocery shopping. Never use vehicle anywhere near it’s capability. $50k extra for star in the hood. LOL

I use my cars to their capacity every day. I use the options I pay for...for sure! Including my Mercedes. People think a woman doesn’t know what she wants in car. Please.
[doublepost=1546760851][/doublepost]
Hahah the things people say!

How about this:

“The only true flagship is 512 MAX but it HAS to be in gold because gold signifies wealth” haha!

What a joke.
That is just nuts! I don’t believe in signifying wealthy: enjoy and use what you have. I don’t like to hang with people who think you signify wealth.

Reactions: nephron8

Roger67

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2017
Most with 512GB are usually shooting a lot of 4K video, those IG celebrities and others who use their iPhone as their go-to-cam for everyday life.

Apple should rebrand these as the iPhone Pros some have been asking for.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
If you store plenty of movies and tv shows i can see how 256GB isn’t enough. I have 8 films on mine and i have about 103GB left of 256GB so while 512GB isn’t needed i can see why some can see the appeal.
[doublepost=1546782230][/doublepost]
if you are a parent, you will love the 4K videos for your kids
Well yeah i took a Christmas video worth about 20 mins with different videos and it took up a lot of space. Just like when we have another child next year i will be taking plenty i’m Sure.

Ebok

Suspended
Aug 22, 2018
I'll likely never fill it but I bought the 512GB version anyways. I have 120GB of music on it plus podcasts and about 5,000 pictures on it.

Can’t even listen to 120gb of music in your lifetime..

Also a joke I read on here before “never know when you’ll need pics from your aunts birthday from 2yrs ago” ... right??

TOM1211

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2012
I have 256gb iphone and I use 40gb i could probably use less. I pay for iCloud storage next time I will just get smaller so I'm literally storing everything in the iCloud but in my iCloud there is 200gb + of photos so if I didn't have iCloud I could fill it just in photos alone.

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
My Mac has a 1TB hard drive. For those in the same boat, what should I use it for?

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind

Also a joke I read on here before “never know when you’ll need pics from your aunts birthday from 2yrs ago” ... right??

I don't take any pictures or video on my phone. I just save lots of pictures and video from Instagram and Twitter. I really don't have any family.

JBGoode

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2018

How much do you think 120gb of music is? I'm fairly confident it can be listened to in a much shorter span than a lifetime. :) I'm sure he's listened to it at least once already.

ImAnAgent

Suspended
Oct 11, 2018
My mind
How much do you think 120gb of music is? I'm fairly confident it can be listened to in a much shorter span than a lifetime. :) I'm sure he's listened to it at least once already.
I have only music that I have actually listened to on my phone. I made a playlist in iTunes that every song on the list must have been played at least once. I then synced that to my phone and that total is now a bit over 120GB.

I also have a playlist with music that I have listened to in the past 365 days. I frequently play that one, at least twice a year. Takes me several weeks to get through it.

There's no point on having music on the phone if I haven't actually played it.

Reactions: JBGoode

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Raw image files and 4K video along with the apps to edit that content take up a lot of space.

The videos on my workout apps take up a decent amount of space too.

The misc playlists I download and then forget I download also take up a lot of space.

I also have about 32gbs of “other” taking up half of my “64” gbs of storage.

flehman

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2015
I use an iPhone 7 256GB. About 100GB is music, all in Apple Lossless, because yes I can tell the difference between lossless and mp3 when I plug my phone into the car or home stereo. I think it is around 2500-3000 tracks. The rest is available for locally stored video, which is nice when out of town at your in-laws who still don’t have Internet and live where mobile reception is terrible.

256GB is about what I was looking for storage-wise, but if/when 512 becomes available as the “middle” storage tier I would probably go for it.

Hedo

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2016
I went for the XS Max 512 GB option and have about 130 GB free at the moment.

Tomorrow I´m off for a four week trip across Australia and New Zealand and I´ll be using the iPhone as my main camera for videos and pictures as my DSLR broke a little while back and I haven´t bought a new one. With 4K video the storage space will be truly appreciated as I don´t know how often I´ll be able to have fast Wifi to do online backups of the pics and vids and unload them from the phone.

And with 512 GB I´m able to have lots of offline music and videos for when stuck at the airports, long flights etc. I have an iPad Pro 11 256 GB for the longer streches of content consuming but the iPhone is just so much more available for catching a quick episode of a TV-show or enjoying some great music and podcasts stored offline. I´m also able to store larger offline maps for navigating.

In my home country Norway we don´t have unlimited data plans for mobile, most people have data plans with around 1-6 GB, and some upto 20-40 GB, data per month which isn´t that much when you stream high definition video, good quality music, use the phone as a hotspot to other devices and so on. So having extra storage is much appreciated when you are on the go a lot as I am myself so the data plan can go to better use when hotspotting to my laptop on the road etc.

unibility

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2012
I keep my entire music library 30 GB on it. As well as bunch of movies 160 GB. Also have entire world map 36 GB downloaded, so all need is gps to navigate not internet.

Also to keep speed as high as possible keep 30 to 40% drive empty. Am at about 300 GB.

I never even think about memory regardless of what I download, movies, pictures, I take, etc.

Have 1TB on my iPad Pro as well. Never to young, never too rich, never too much memory. At least I have one of the three covered.

What app lets you download the entire world? Please share. I’m looking to conquer the world. lmao

Lekro

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
My phone is a 128GB model and it is my first phone with a bigger storage. I'm so used to micromanaging storage, deleting stuff I don't use often, that I only use like 10-20% of it's storage so far.

Probably I will take advantage of the 128GB as I'm planning on taking lots of pictures and shooting 4k videos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.