Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JimmyG

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2019
Hudson Valley NY
Can we resurrect this thread? Fascinates me. I've always gone for 256Gb and have done so again with my 15 Pro Max, but....Still considering the 512Gb! Currently have 100Gb free so why am I thinking of 512? I guess it maybe because its a new iPhone and has to last me another year so I want to "future proof' it, but I also have 2TB iCloud storage so again, those who have 512Gb, are you again going with this this year?
Not to be argumentative here, but I'll need to flip the question here and ask, why on earth would anyone even be using cloud storage, let alone 2TB worth, when it's so much more economical and secure to have a personal backup at home/office? I mean, I get the need/desire for syncing one's documents across devices, but, again, 2TB's worth?! Truly curious.

To the original topic...I currently utilize about 200GB on my iPhone 8+, mostly images/video and messages. I'll be shopping a 512GB model when the 16's come out next year. Why? I take a lot of photos and videos and never use social media, ever, and keep in touch with loved-ones and friends using messages. :)

Reactions: AVBeatMan

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
i have a 15 pro max with 512gb. only used 40GB of it so far lol. 512gb is overkill for me but i like to know i have plenty of space and i could afford it so i went with it. i always buy the largest storage capacity that i can reasonably afford. i was going to go with the 256gb model but thought hey i won't miss £200 so i'll go for 512GB. couldn't bring myself to spend another £200 for 1TB.

on my previous phone which was 256gb i never used more than 50GB. i only pay for 50GB of icloud storage too.

i keep telling myself i'll take lots more photos/videos but yeah... we'll see. i don't have any games installed either.

i have a PC with 4TB of storage so i reguarly offload photos/videos/documents to my PC and store them there and back up to my 2TB external drive. for whatever it's worth....2TB on my PC is for games, of which i have only used ~700GB, and the other 2TB drive is purely for files and I have used only ~400GB.

So yeah i probably couldn't fill up this phone if i tried really hard.

Reactions: AVBeatMan

tomislavf

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2011
I have a LOT of offline maps (road, topo, satellite), offline music and I need enough space to take all the photos and videos I want for 1-2 weeks in places without internet access to offload them to iCloud. So I go for the 512GB.

Reactions: Mrs. Jobs
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.