Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
Games can take up a huge amount of storage. I have multiple games that are over 2 GB and one that is almost 8 GB. I've got 45 GB of music right now but I usually have more. I usually go with 256 GB but I've toyed with getting 512 GB.

Reactions: Tsepz

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Something else one has to consider is how long they are keeping the device.

I had an iPad 4 from 2012 to 2015 that was a 32GB LTE model, and I installed maybe 3 games and did all the iOS updates, but the time 2015 rolled around the device seemed to have a lot less storage as the iOS updates got larger and of course I installed more apps.

I feel as though 64GB is going the same way as 32GB was 3-4 years ago.

Reactions: MisterSavage

Sajal

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2014
I have 256gb and do feel 512GB would have been a good buy.

5 years + memories with last 2 years 4K videos for 6-7 trips I had made in these 2 years.

I do have all backed up on external hdds.. But I still love to keep them on my iPhone for sudden trips down the memory lane.

Reactions: HEK

slim6596

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
Music, audiobooks, podcasts, movies and tv shows, pictures, etc. I’m a truck driver and like to have my content stored on my phone in case I’m somewhere I don’t have a data connection.

Reactions: jr866gooner

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Music, audiobooks, podcasts, movies and tv shows, pictures, etc. I’m a truck driver and like to have my content stored on my phone in case I’m somewhere I don’t have a data connection.

Makes sense! Although, I hope you don't stream your favorite shows while driving an 18 wheeler!!

slim6596

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2020
No, I don’t. I just listen to something via telling Siri to play it. I have to admit I’m really enjoying Apple Music that’s included in my Verizon unlimited plan. But, I have hit a couple of areas where I had no data connection. I fell back to my current audiobook selection (Skin Game by Jim Butcher).

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2010
I have the 250GB 11 Pro and I have 25GB left of storage. My next iPhone will definitely be the 500GB.

I try to keep as many of my photos and videos on my iPhone as I search places (restaurants, bars, parties, etc) and memories on the Photos map all the time. The map function in the Photos app is soooooo handy in my life. People are always amazed that I can almost instantly find a photo of a certain moment or event while we are discussing it.

Also WhatsApp takes a huge amount of storage as we send a lot of photos and videos and we basically live in WhatsApp here in The Netherlands.

Reactions: Sajal

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
I'm traveling often and creating "Cinematic movies"... With my Gimbal and iPhone I shoot tons of 4K 60FPS videos that will fill up the space easily. With no possibility to upload them to the cloud I need to keep them on my phone till I'm back home. Two weeks in the desert without any internet (or limited to sattelite with 128K uplink and expensive coasts to just check text based things like email etc.), but hours of sunsets, sand storms, animals, repairs of vehicles, etc. or similar things depending of the destination... Also there's mostly a full series of netflix for flights etc. present, as well as my regular apps and gmaps with full offline card for the whole country where I'm traveling.

SophiaTech

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2020
Now this is an interesting question! I guess I had the same question in my mind when I bought mine with 512 GB. I have two toddlers, which obviously means that I take a lot of photos and videos of them every single day. And I don't use cloud storage. So, all of those content get stored in my phone, and I don't think any memory will go to waste in my case. In fact, I might need more in the future!

Reactions: Sajal

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
Now this is an interesting question! I guess I had the same question in my mind when I bought mine with 512 GB. I have two toddlers, which obviously means that I take a lot of photos and videos of them every single day. And I don't use cloud storage. So, all of those content get stored in my phone, and I don't think any memory will go to waste in my case. In fact, I might need more in the future!
I’ve got two kids and currently have 27,762 photos in my library. If I didn’t use iCloud storage I’d definitely need 512GB. I will probably get 512GB for my next phone anyway.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Is there a reason why you donot use iCloud storage?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I hope ?? you are backing up. As someone who spilled water on my MacBook Pro today, back up those precious photos.

tripleburst

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2018
I'm traveling often and creating "Cinematic movies"... With my Gimbal and iPhone I shoot tons of 4K 60FPS videos that will fill up the space easily. With no possibility to upload them to the cloud I need to keep them on my phone till I'm back home. Two weeks in the desert without any internet (or limited to sattelite with 128K uplink and expensive coasts to just check text based things like email etc.), but hours of sunsets, sand storms, animals, repairs of vehicles, etc. or similar things depending of the destination... Also there's mostly a full series of netflix for flights etc. present, as well as my regular apps and gmaps with full offline card for the whole country where I'm traveling.

There's a number of solutions to this even though yes, you still need large storage for your phone for shooting. But you can back your footage up with a lighting/usb thumbstick, a wifi enabled hard drive or even a wifi filehub. I'd hate to lose everything if something happens to my phone.

trinec

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2019
There's a number of solutions to this even though yes, you still need large storage for your phone for shooting. But you can back your footage up with a lighting/usb thumbstick, a wifi enabled hard drive or even a wifi filehub. I'd hate to lose everything if something happens to my phone.
Did this only one time, copy a 60gb file and feel free to wait to complete. It‘s a no go

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I have a 256GB XS Max and will be upgrading to the 12 Pro Max 512GB in the fall. I have an iCloud subscription but I know I’ll be adding thousands more photos, more videos, apps and tweaks once iOS 14 is jailbroken.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
Family member right here. There was also someone on here who said his 512gb max was the only true flagship. Buying a car with 500hp and driving slow most of the time is worth it for those few times you can get on it. Unused storage is absolutely worthless.
There was a story of a guy who drove his Rolls Royce only ever in third gear, which a car mechanic figured out. The guy thought he had bought an automatic, that's why he never switched gears. (Don't know if it's true, but I like the story).
[automerge]1593651669[/automerge]
I’ve got two kids and currently have 27,762 photos in my library. If I didn’t use iCloud storage I’d definitely need 512GB. I will probably get 512GB for my next phone anyway.
I'd very strongly recommend that you make sure all your photos are backed up in iCloud. Because one day your phone _will_ break down or get stolen and you don't want to lose any photos.

• Wow
Reactions: SocialKonstruct

imp3rator

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2019
I considered a larger space but it is a pity that is quite hard to using as a backup flash disk or something like that...

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I considered a larger space but it is a pity that is quite hard to using as a backup flash disk or something like that...

Yeah it took FOREVER to deal with anything 100GB+. So I just went with a 256GB model and turned on optimize iCloud Photos and ... a year later, I'm convinced this is the way to go. I still have plenty of space for offline Netflix / movies for travel if I want. (Only using 40-50GB).

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Can we resurrect this thread? Fascinates me. I've always gone for 256Gb and have done so again with my 15 Pro Max, but....Still considering the 512Gb! Currently have 100Gb free so why am I thinking of 512? I guess it maybe because its a new iPhone and has to last me another year so I want to "future proof' it, but I also have 2TB iCloud storage so again, those who have 512Gb, are you again going with this this year?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.